L Brackets

sjackal

Jul 9, 2008
May I check, if I get a L bracket/plate for my cam to shoot verticals on tripod/monopod, does it also means that I need to get the same brand of heads as the L bracket/plate for compatibility?

No need same brand. Just make sure that your plate/L-plate/L-bracket and the tripod head uses the same "mount", aka dove-tail aka Arca-Swiss style mount. Or which ever other mounting type there is in the market. :)

May I check, if I get a L bracket/plate for my cam to shoot verticals on tripod/monopod, does it also means that I need to get the same brand of heads as the L bracket/plate for compatibility?
are you referring to the Arca Swiss type of plate/L bracket?

if it is Arca Swiss standard, you can use any brands/types of head come with Arca Swiss clamp

I think for my D700 with mb-d10 choice are RRS or Kirk, all arcra Swiss type and my tripod is Sirui with G-10 head so no problem right?

Thinking of a manfrotto neotec monopod but manfrotto not compatible right?

sjackal said:
I think for my D700 with mb-d10 choice are RRS or Kirk, all arcra Swiss type and my tripod is Sirui with G-10 head so no problem right?

Thinking of a manfrotto neotec monopod but manfrotto not compatible right?

Yes. Manfrotto not compatible. I used to have manfrotto before switching to sirui.

Compatibility rests solely on the tripod head you are using. If your tripod head is using the Arca Swiss standard dovetail design, then it should be fine. Make of monopod or tripod is irrelevant.

Compatibility rests solely on the tripod head you are using. If your tripod head is using the Arca Swiss standard dovetail design, then it should be fine. Make of monopod or tripod is irrelevant.

I see, thank you. So I will just use the Sirui ball head on the Manfrotto if I go Manfrotto.

Thank you all again. I just realized the price and now have to decide whether if it is worth it.

I do shoot a lot of verticals...

Thank you all again. I just realized the price and now have to decide whether if it is worth it.

I do shoot a lot of verticals...
other brands are also around that price, the custom L-brackets are more fitting, you can leave it attached all the time.

btw, I use 70-200 a lot, I also get a Arca Swiss foot for this lens.

Acra Swiss style clamps and plates pretty much works interchangeably between brands. The only exception is the Lever Release Clamp from Really Right Stuff, it only takes on a certain size. But some brands' plates work ok with RRS, these include plates from RRS (of course), Markins, Krik, Camdapter, Kanrinpoche (only the L plates). Benro and Photo-Clam plates do not work well with RRS LR clamps.

Last edited: