Kyocera discontinues Contax brand

Status
Not open for further replies.

extreme2

Jan 18, 2002
Lion City
extreme2.clubsnap.org
Kyocera has announced that it has decided to terminate the Contax branded camera business. Kyocera will terminate the shipment of CONTAX-branded cameras, and the exclusive lenses and accessories in September, 2005, except for the CONTAX 645 camera system, the shipment of which to some markets will come to an end in December, 2005.

contaxlogo.jpg

:cry: Another great camera going into history....

Old news but not sad news. Contax brand name will be resurrected once a new company is invited to build cameras around that brand. Note that the brand name "Contax" is a patented name of Carl Zeiss, and Carl Zeiss built all the Contax lens.

In terms of Leica Camera System situation, Leica brand name is licensed from Leica Medical System. But the Leica lens are built within the Leica Camera System company, which has no relationship to Leica Medical System apart from the name licensed.

what about the new Carl Zeiss Ikon (2005) ? Do you think this will negate the need for "Contax" it seems quite happily coincidental the development.

The Carl Zeiss Ikon is a rangefinder for sale by Carl Zeiss, while Contax is famous at Medium Format 645 cameras and sold by Kyocera. There is no relationship for these 2.

You should go ask professionals why they want a Contax 645 camera or larger than a 35mm RangeFinder. Simply because 35mm film do not allow such large enlargement compared to MF/LF film. Of course the Carl Zeiss Ikon lens is outstanding, but the 35mm film too little.....

This is a consolidation of MF manufacturers, with Bronica and Contax gone there left Fuji, Hasselblad, Rolleiflex, Pentax and a few others I do not know.

will zeiss lens production be affected also??
i dun wish to see zeiss stop operation

rinaldi86 said:
will zeiss lens production be affected also??
i dun wish to see zeiss stop operation

Which brand series? Carl Zeiss is up and healthy (which I think so) with the lens they built for Hasselblad and Contax. Carl Zeiss owned the brand Contax and it is only Kyocera who decided not to use the brand Contax anymore. Carl Zeiss will pretty much be around for the next decade or so, it is only up to them whether to find a partner to continue the Contax brand.

i see.. okay thanks... who knows sony would be e 1 producing DSLR using zeiss lenses

Do not think it will be Sony as Sony is not associated with quality professional goods, but rather branding goods.

Status
Not open for further replies.