Kx users pls come in

sobrietyanonymous

Sep 29, 2011
Dearest kx users, what lenses r u using and any plans to upgrade?

I'm using black kx with the 2 kit lens (no longer using)

Mostly using my da 35/2.4

Helloooo Sobriety, am still hanging on to my red K-x. Most frequestly used lenses are a DA50-135 & a DA55-300.Lenses lounging in my dry cabinet are a Jupiter 9, 85mm F/2.0 awaiting a foray into portrait photography; a FA28-200mm AF zoom, a Sears 135mm F/2.8 manual prime-these last 2 are awaiting buyers. Lenses that I'm looking over with a view to buying are a AF 16-50mm F/2.8, and probably a 500mm prime (F/5?)

still using my red k-x..

for lens upgrade..dun think so..since i already using FA 31, 43 and 77, DA 12-24, DA*50-135 and Tamron 17-50...there are also a few other lenses in the dry cabinet such zenitar 16 FE, Helios 58 F2, Super Tak 1.4, A50mm F2 and lensbaby....so i think i should cut down my lenses rather than buy more..altho the 15mm is quite tempting :p

Ex-K-X user

saw a colleague with a K-X taking some shoots during a training event with 50mm 1.4, he allowed me to played with it only to realized how much i have missed the size and weight of K-X

K-X was my first DSLR and probably my first love in photography.

For TS, maybe by now you should have known your fav Focal Length? then can explore the lens that interest you in that focal length.

keep the long kit lens at least... it is a good lens...

i have the 2 kit lens then bought a Super Tak 1.4, then 16-50 and 100mm Marco, then DAL 35 2.4...
so far i mount the 16-50 most of the time... but i use Super Tak 1.4 and 100mm more... DAL 35 2.4 used by my wife more...
what lens to use is really depend...

weekend walk about will be 35 + 50 +100
concert last week 55-300 + 16-50
event shooting 16-50 + 50

but to me, my K-x will not focus on the ppl... like in a event, more than 50% chance focus on the backgroup which is more colorful...
so i do MF if time given.... if not 16-50 f4-8+ flash
don't know if i upgrade to k-5 will help or not...

Last edited:
I have the kit 18-55 & 55-300 with the DFA50mm macro (which is criminally underused), Samsung FA35 f2 clone (which i use primarily to shoot portraits of my dog at home) & my default lens the Sigma 10-20mm which is practically welded to my camera. Not using my 18-55 very much now as I mostly use the primes beyond my UWA.

Always fantasize abt getting one of the FA limiteds eg the 31 or 77 for portraits of family, but monetary concerns means I'll probably stick to my FA35 or if a longer focal length is needed then the 55-300 will do in a pinch! Basically my very basic photographic needs are pretty much covered by these 5 lenses. May even sell off the DFA50 in the future cos I really don't use it often enough.

still very satisfied with Kx's performance; :thumbsup:

will upgrade only if there is Pentax Full frame DSLR, or my camera breaks down

currently only interested in cheap manual lens.

Sigma 50mm for portrait, tamron 18-200 for walk ard..
Hardly touch my dual kit lens now.
Good camera, still learning how to use. haha
Will only change if it breaks down

yes i agree k-x is a very nice camera,

i suppose it kick start a lot of the newer DSLR shooters in singapore. more cultural impact in singapore than k-r

i feel

My 1st DSLR and certainly the one that has me hooked to photography. Its just past a year old now...

Started with kit DAL 18-55 & 55-300. 18-55 sees the light of day sometimes but much less now. It's lightness is still very appreciated. 55-300 is still used often especially for sports.

My lenses since then (not counting those MF lenses i have):-

FA50 1.4 - don't use much. i should actually.
DA 18-135 - this is the most versatile lens and is on my cam most of the time when i travel.
DA 35 2.4 - bought the white one to match my white k-x. still an amazing lens to use and a lightweight budget wonder.
Siggy 10-20 - Used alot for landscape shots. The results from it can be quite dramatic.
DA 40 ltd - combined with a k-x, whilst not exactly "pocketable", still so easy to carry around without a bag. still amazes me how good pictures can be from such a small pancake.
FA 31 Ltd - No need to say anything...
FA 43 Ltd - Organic in it's reproduction. Though i think even better on film.

Will i keep my k-x? Yes. I am lusting over the K-5 but will still keep the k-x as backup.

Other lenses i definitely will get:

FA 77 Ltd - need to have all 3 amigos!
A fast standard tele zoom - probably Tamron 28-75. i have had good experiences with it and it's a great portrait lens.
A fast long tele zoom for sports and stuff - still wondering whether to get a 70-200 f2.8 or a DA* 60-250.

gotten my white k-x from last yr April till now, using the 18-55 kit lens most of the time. expand my lenses collection to three as below

1. DAL 18-55mm: General walkabout lens, landscape
2. DAL 35mm F2.4: Indoor shots/low light situation
3. DAL 55-300mm: sports/portrait/animal/sniping of chio bus

future expansion: don't know leh, hope that I master these 3 lenses first bah... unless there's a cheap (<$500) 50mm F1.8 or UWA lens coming out.

I'm using my da 35/2.4 most of the time now... Not sure what Lens to upgrade to next, think I will upgrade my lens before my body

Kx to me is my favorite camera but I realize can't really set the white/balance ESP when shooting indoors (or rather I fun know how to)

Might get k-5 when price drops but not sure what lens to get first. Am into street photog and portraits

Also have a m 50/1.7 but oh well, manual focus is tough

sounds like the 35 2.4 is good enough then. street and portrait work seems like 35mm is good as it is close to the standard 50mm on full frame...

when you have use the 35mm lens for your street and portrait, do you wish you can get wider or longer?

Been using Kx for about a year. Currently left with DA15, 18-55 WR and DA35. Always wanted to get a K5 but now wondering should I go for the Q and get a QK mount converter for these 3 lenses. If I'm getting the "cute cute" then it will be consider as downgrade or upgrade? :)

Will be bringing these 3 lenses for my next week oversea assignment in Wuxi. Hopefully I'm able to get some nice shoots in this trip.

Hi,
Welcome to the Pentaxian World. I'm a Kxian myself. Have most of the lenses I wanted to get (see my signature) , so not upgrading at the moment (isn't Pentax great??) :)

Been using Kx for about a year. Currently left with DA15, 18-55 WR and DA35. Always wanted to get a K5 but now wondering should I go for the Q and get a QK mount converter for these 3 lenses. If I'm getting the "cute cute" then it will be consider as downgrade or upgrade? :)

Will be bringing these 3 lenses for my next week oversea assignment in Wuxi. Hopefully I'm able to get some nice shoots in this trip.

strictly speaking based on sensor size alone, its a downgrade.:)

its a capable camera that unique to pentax in its concept and features, but its no DSLR replacement, and its definitely not a DSLR upgrade path.

bear in mind that the Q is a 5x crop. your 15 will become a standard, your 35 will become a short tele and your 18-55 will become a long zoom.

depending on what u use these lenses for and what u intend to achieve by mounting them on the Q, the perspective after crop may or may not work for you.

i am still with my KX since feb 2010.

still only with the kit lens. 18-55mm

still learning as much as i can,

Now have some spare for cash , anyone with recommedation for 2nd hand or cheaper lens for potraits/landscape lens.

i would like to try out some filters also.