Kx built quality

Scalpel22

Feb 14, 2010
Hi all,

I am new to DSLR and plans to get one. Pentax Kx is high on my list and I went to a shop to check out the quality.

When I shake the body gently, i noticed something inside "rock" as well. It is as if something is loose inside the body.

Any Kx owners have the same experience? Is it normal? What is rocking inside the body? Thanks.

Read somewhere online that the "loose" part is due to the shake reduction system which allows the sensor is free to shift in its mount.

Can anyone confirm that?

Thanks

Read somewhere online that the "loose" part is due to the shake reduction system which allows the sensor is free to shift in its mount.

Can anyone confirm that?

Thanks
Yes. It is. But built wise, the kx does feel kind of plasticky and toyish.

that seems normal. k100d also seems to have that noise. that's for 2 different copies that i've had experienced. ;)

Yes. It is. But built wise, the kx does feel kind of plasticky and toyish.

just because something feels metallic doesn't mean the build is good.

conversely, just because something feels toyish doesn't mean the build is bad.

lego is made out of plastic, i have never seen a broken lego block before. :bsmilie:

anyways, i never feel k-x before, just saying that feel plastic doesn't necessarily equate to bad build.

Hi TS,

dont mind i ask another question in your thread too.

I understand that K-7 body is a weather proof DSLR but can K-X survive if we bring it to colder countries like UK etc?

Hi TS,

dont mind i ask another question in your thread too.

I understand that K-7 body is a weather proof DSLR but can K-X survive if we bring it to colder countries like UK etc?

my k100d is surviving fine here.

so's a second hand $100 buck canon p&s i bought refurbished off the uk market.

OF COURSE, it can survive...... or did you think that people in the uk had to use weather sealed cameras? :bsmilie:

Actually I tried both K7 and Kx and only the Kx has that shaky feel but both have the shake reduction system.

If it is normal has that shaky feel then now I have to decide which dslr should I get. Canon and Nikon are more popular because of their marketing. Pentax on the other hand is not as well know but there are quite a few hardcore fans in this forum. Furthermore in-depth review for both K7 and Kx have been excellent.

Secondly, I am also debating between Kx and K7. I know the body of the K7 cost twice of Kx. But the body feels solid and its weather sealed. Anyone know whats the price of a K7 with a 18-55 lens?

well, the pros and cons of a k-x is well documented compared to a k-7.

build and handling wise, no doubt about it, k-7 is slotted at a higher range, and price. this is something you have to take note of, the k-x is targeted as an entry level dslr, whereas the k-7 is more of a mid-level dslr.

k-x has the edge for high-iso shooting, though, because it was released at a later date. natural.

yes, i enjoy using my current k20d (predecessor to k-7)... and it feels better than a k100d, but at the end of the day, i did enjoy my k100d and most importantly, i made pictures with it.

sometimes, we spend so much time caring about the wrong things and over-scrutinizing everything. it is like picking a girl. you can pick and choose, pick and choose, at the end of the day, you'll just find the one you love. doesn't matter what 8000 other people say, or think, or do. the one for you is the one for you. cheers.

well, the pros and cons of a k-x is well documented compared to a k-7.

build and handling wise, no doubt about it, k-7 is slotted at a higher range, and price. this is something you have to take note of, the k-x is targeted as an entry level dslr, whereas the k-7 is more of a mid-level dslr.

k-x has the edge for high-iso shooting, though, because it was released at a later date. natural.

yes, i enjoy using my current k20d (predecessor to k-7)... and it feels better than a k100d, but at the end of the day, i did enjoy my k100d and most importantly, i made pictures with it.

sometimes, we spend so much time caring about the wrong things and over-scrutinizing everything. it is like picking a girl. you can pick and choose, pick and choose, at the end of the day, you'll just find the one you love. doesn't matter what 8000 other people say, or think, or do. the one for you is the one for you. cheers.

agreed with the last paragraph;p
yeah, still enjoying my K100D still. i love it.
anyway, a price guide of pentax equipment:http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=534146

Thanks for the link to the price guide but they are outdated. I know the body is less than $1400 (guide list as ~$1700. And no price on the K7 kit.

if u shake the k-7 harder you'll feel the same shaking inside.

i believe the k-x has better high iso performance not because it was released later; it has nothing to do with advancement in technology.

we can see the example of nikon's d5000 still having cleaner high iso performance than d300s.

the discrepancy we are seeing here is probably cos of the choice of sensors selected for different needs and target market; one needs to weigh the strengths and weaknesses of the k-7 vs k-x sensor to understand this rather unpopular rationale.

of course there might be company politics between samsung/sony & pentax, which i will not speculate over here..

Thanks for the link to the price guide but they are outdated. I know the body is less than $1400 (guide list as ~$1700. And no price on the K7 kit.

The less than $1400 is supposedly only a CNY promotion. Supposedly after CNY, it will go back to the original pricing of $1700++

The K7 is and always was a body only pricing, there is no kit lens package.

yup, fireemblem, that's why i gave the old list since the price of $1400+ supposedly expires on 13th Feb...

U mean, if I buy Kx on the 18th, its the old price? no more CNY price? :(

U mean, if I buy Kx on the 18th, its the old price? no more CNY price? :(

The K-x will still be the new lower price.
CNY price is only for the K-7.
Can probably call up the stores to check what their K-7 prices are now. If it went back up, I don't think it will go all the way up to $1.7k

I guess the shops may, due to the fact the it is just after CNY.... guys got Ang Bao $$$.... dont know where to spend.... extend the pricing to maybe till 15th day of CNY..... :lovegrin::bsmilie:

only for singles lah, married ppl become poorer this period :bsmilie:

my k100d is surviving fine here.

so's a second hand $100 buck canon p&s i bought refurbished off the uk market.

OF COURSE, it can survive...... or did you think that people in the uk had to use weather sealed cameras? :bsmilie:

haha! pls pardon me! cos i heard from my friend that his canon up the lorry when visiting china during the winter period. LOL!