Kx built quality

even tanks spoil if not maintained properly thus, Any DSLR needs TLC, "tender loving care" not to spoil easily . :)

haha! pls pardon me! cos i heard from my friend that his canon up the lorry when visiting china during the winter period. LOL!

don't know what he did.. might have just been luck. :)

china is a lot colder some parts than uk though.

Hi all,

I am new to DSLR and plans to get one. Pentax Kx is high on my list and I went to a shop to check out the quality.

When I shake the body gently, i noticed something inside "rock" as well. It is as if something is loose inside the body.

Any Kx owners have the same experience? Is it normal? What is rocking inside the body? Thanks.

Canon also have rattling sound. So I guess it may not be something to be too worry about...
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=652642

CNY price is only for the K-7.
Can probably call up the stores to check what their K-7 prices are now. If it went back up, I don't think it will go all the way up to $1.7k

Nah, my guessing is that the promoted price for K-7 is gonna stay at below $1400, even after CNY :) There are still plenty of stock, no point hiking the price now.

Thanks all for your input.

With regard to the colored body, does the paint wear off easily? Any experience to share?

Hi TS, dun mind i borrow your thread. ;)

i understand the KX uses AA batteries. Is battery lifespan an issue?

thks all

Thanks all for your input.

With regard to the colored body, does the paint wear off easily? Any experience to share?

Colors are dyed into the plastic. Not painted. (ie. its part of the plastic color)
So it is impossible to 'peel' off.

In terms of construction. Its a stainless steel chassis with a plastic shell/casing. So even it it feels plastic, its actually has a metal chassis underneath.

thks all

There are some posts about K-x AA battery life, if you search this forum you should find them. I think AA batteries capability is a plus. I have lost a few good shots while travelling because of low battery power.

Being able to use alkaline AA batteries, even for just 10-20 shots is still better than no pictures.

thks all

Battery life is great if you use lithium or NiMH (preferably LSD types).
Don't expect too much from alkalines, especially not the cheapo types.

sorry to hijack TS thread.

recently read about some kx with SR problems.
its giving blur images at certain shutter speeds.

anyone encountered that so far?

KX doesnt have any SR problems. Just some rumours that its SR is not as effectiive as the K7 and other cameras with IS/SR. Think the camera you are referring to with the IS problem is the Oly E-P1 which is rumoured to have some problems with its IS at certain shutter speed, mainly caused by its kit lens 14-42mm.

sorry to hijack TS thread.

recently read about some kx with SR problems.
its giving blur images at certain shutter speeds.

anyone encountered that so far?

KX doesnt have any SR problems. Just some rumours that its SR is not as effectiive as the K7 and other cameras with IS/SR. Think the camera you are referring to with the IS problem is the Oly E-P1 which is rumoured to have some problems with its IS at certain shutter speed, mainly caused by its kit lens 14-42mm.
nope. i've read from dpreview forums and they have reported issues with having blur images at certain speeds.
apparently pentax is investigating the issue but most of the users aren't affected.

I've read the dpreview thread, and it seems to be a very specific and rare case. So far no one here has came across it yet.

oh, dpreview. now i smell a mirror slap 'problem' :rolleyes:

Only very few people reproduced the SR problem under certain condition (speed at 1/100s or there about, wide angle lens shooting in portrait, battery is half full, etc etc...). Most people don't have problem w/ their Kxs and most people can't reproduce this SR problem.

I have been reading this Pentax thread few times a day. It's seem that the outing group are all K-7 or K-x. I have also been comparing my K200 vs Kx on this link and seen an extremly different.

http://www.digitalversus.com/duels.php?ty=1&ma1=152&mo1=946&p1=7196&ma2=152&mo2=559&p2=3509&ph=2

So my question is should I upgrade to K-x from K200 since I cannot afford K-7.
On the other hand, since I brought some lenses for Pentax and got tight down and now not able to move over to NIkon even realising that Pentax does not have good support (in terms of 3rd party lenses and accessories). Some experiences at shop that I had visited told me that they do not carry Pentax stuff cos Money got stuck ....No body buy them only Canon and Nikon availiable.

A little confuse and need someone to enlighten me at this turn point.
I love Nature shooting like some flowers and now birds etc.... (Again, I cant afford a CANON size lens)

I was a Canon users for years and only reasonly brought a used K200 for trail and start loving it. How.... Sell the K200D and buy a New K-x ????? :dunno: Senior, PLEASE help me decide and I want to do it fast.

Thankyou so much and also your time reading my frustration.
Hope to have some favourable reply .

I have been reading this Pentax thread few times a day. It's seem that the outing group are all K-7 or K-x. I have also been comparing my K200 vs Kx on this link and seen an extremly different.

http://www.digitalversus.com/duels.php?ty=1&ma1=152&mo1=946&p1=7196&ma2=152&mo2=559&p2=3509&ph=2

On the other hand, since I brought some lenses for Pentax and got tight down and now not able to move over to NIkon even realising that Pentax does not have good support (in terms of 3rd party lenses and accessories). Some experiences at shop that I had visited told me that they do not carry Pentax stuff cos Money got stuck ....No body buy them only Canon and Nikon availiable.

I love Nature shooting like some flowers and now birds etc.... (Again, I cant afford a CANON size lens)

I was a Canon users for years and only reasonly brought a used K200 for trail and start loving it. How.... Sell the K200D and buy a New K-x ????? :dunno: Senior, PLEASE help me decide and I want to do it fast.

bad source..& a great example of how should a test not be conducted :rolleyes:

btw, it's an excuse of the past to say that Pentax gear is not readily available, things have improved quite a lot over a few months with the introduction of k-x. our b&s section is also moving quickly now.

suggest you compare the features side by side and check what you need/want before making decision, as for myself i wholeheartedly recommend k-x. :)

Agree with elavan, that website does terrible comparison shots. Tried looking at a bunch of different brands and models, there's no consistency in their results. It's like doing some simple primary school science experiment, but with no control experiment to reference against.... I prefer http://www.imaging-resource.com/IMCOMP/COMPS01.HTM, but they do not have the K200D in their database.

I think you need to ask yourself: can you give yourself some compelling reasons to upgrade to K-x? Are there features in the K-x that will clearly benefit how you shoot? Is there something in the K200D that bugs you, that the K-x has corrected? If you can answer these questions honestly to yourself, you'll probably know whether you NEED to upgrade.

If you WANT to upgrade (giving yourself excuses like "The HDR function is really good! I'm not sure how I'll use it, but I'm sure I will"), then really the only consideration should be $$$ :)

As for availability of 3rd party stuff, I believe that some of the others here have places orders with some of the usual shops like MSC and OP before? They don't have them on the shelves, but should be able to bring them in if you give them some time.

As for availability of 3rd party stuff, I believe that some of the others here have places orders with some of the usual shops like MSC and OP before? They don't have them on the shelves, but should be able to bring them in if you give them some time.

Bro, refering to the point of availability of lens..... which shop will usually stock more??? :dunno:...... I know all the shop that carry Pentax can order and all that... but which shop do stock up Pentax/3rd Party Pentax lenses???