Kwek Leng Joo became photographer to save cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.

reachme2003

Oct 6, 2003
today's straits times, front page article of Kwek Leng Joo, the passionate shutterbug.

i quote from the article, "....when CDL(City Developments Ltd) was planning its 2001 corporate desktop calendar. Amid a cost-cutting exercise in the wake of the Asian financial crisis, he decided to be the photographer for the calendar, instead of engaging the services of a professional. He shot a series of dragonflies, which fascinate him."

what are your comments?

reachme2003 said:
today's straits times, front page article of Kwek Leng Joo, the passionate shutterbug.

i quote from the article, "....when CDL(City Developments Ltd) was planning its 2001 corporate desktop calendar. Amid a cost-cutting exercise in the wake of the Asian financial crisis, he decided to be the photographer for the calendar, instead of engaging the services of a professional. He shot a series of dragonflies, which fascinate him."

what are your comments?

Good one!

he's a very special guest of cathay, and he buys 22mp digital back like buying candy. what do YOU think? :bsmilie:

reachme2003 said:

what are your comments?

Save costs??? I wonder how much CDL pays for photography services??

i wonder too?

razor said:
Save costs??? I wonder how much CDL pays for photography services??

reachme2003 said:

what are your comments?

i think CDL ended up paying much more for the calendar, since KLJ's opportunity costs would have come up to 10 times the cost of a professional photographer. :p

There may be more than meets the eyes .. why guess?? :think:

Let them handle their own garden lar ... :sweatsm:

zaren said:
i think CDL ended up paying much more for the calendar, since KLJ's opportunity costs would have come up to 10 times the cost of a professional photographer. :p
I think the costs of the time he spent taking those photographs would be alot higher than hiring a professional photographer.........

Hong Sien

Photographers may have to build their own house soon. Learn from Kwek - cut your cost.

i don't see anything wrong with this. as long as he is proud to offer his service to his company and is doing a proper job, why not? opportunity cost is so subjective, the satisfaction he gets from this 'job' may over-ride whatever 10x more opportunity cost you may think have been incurred. :)

Whether CDL saves costs or not depends on what they are comparing with. But frankly, don't think such cost savings are material to CDL - I am sure there are better areas to cut, for eg,...especially... ehem

eikin said:
i don't see anything wrong with this. as long as he is proud to offer his service to his company and is doing a proper job, why not? opportunity cost is so subjective, the satisfaction he gets from this 'job' may over-ride whatever 10x more opportunity cost you may think have been incurred. :)

nothing *wrong* with it...just *strange* thats all. since the reason given by CDL is to "save costs".

e.g. bill gates would actually be losing money if he stopped for a moment to pick up a $100 bill lying on the pavement.

strange that a huge public listed company like CDL did not consider the opportunity costs. :)

Maybe all this hooha about him taking pics is a publicity stunt?????? Or to show the human side of him????

HS

tOGGY said:
Photographers may have to build their own house soon. Learn from Kwek - cut your cost.

in fact.....why not do everything yourselves! you will save so much money that you will be fabulously rich in no time! :bsmilie:

errm.. how's KLJ's photos... tot there was some discussion on defination of "photographer" somewhere here... :think:

it's nothing unusal for a person to discover the wonders of photography.

It's ONLY unusual when an unusal person discovers the wonders of photography. ;)

I wonder what will the papers say if one of the political figures takes up photography. :eek:

AReality said:
Why did he use dragonflies as the main subject for the desktop calendar?
Coz it fascinated him... DUH... just realised the answer is in the same statement.

CYRN said:
I wonder what will the papers say if one of the political figures takes up photography. :eek:
I believe some Ministers are probably into that.

Juz a couple of months ago, I saw Mah Bow Tan at Macritchie with his camera and one of his personal guards. Smiled at him. Give him the benefit of doubt, I assume he's an avid photographer.

Still I dun see any issue on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.