Kwek Leng Joo became photographer to save cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Benign said:
Has someone forgot to tell him that you only need to pay $2 for a postcard that look exactly like what he shot, if not betta? :bsmilie:

bad ah you. ;p

Public forums (e.g. newspapers & Clubsnap alike) tends to do funny things to people's minds when describing one's self -- usually painting a rosier picture than reality. Commenting on one's fortunate employment circumstances while knowing others are not plays along the same lines. ;)

mattlock said:
I'm sure you wouldn't be happy if you got all sorts of snide comments from other people just because you're wealthy

If I am wealthy, I sure don't mind u cursing me everyday lor... If I am wealthy, I won't even bother with such small flies.

IF I'm wealthy...

AReality said:
If I am wealthy, I sure don't mind u cursing me everyday lor... If I am wealthy, I won't even bother with such small flies.

IF I'm wealthy...

:bsmilie: that's so true ... IF i'm wealthy i can even employ someone to help me swat the flies :bsmilie:

jsbn said:
Sigh... If thats the case, he muz have plenty of good karma accumulated in his past life methinks. Muz do more good things if u want a good next life. :D

You mean, must do more good stuff and mediate to stop having a next life. (That is, I'm assuming you're a Buddhist).

Stereobox said:
he's a very special guest of cathay, and he buys 22mp digital back like buying candy. what do YOU think? :bsmilie:

my bad.. i think he settled for a 17mp one instead ;p

xray said:
You mean, must do more good stuff and mediate to stop having a next life. (That is, I'm assuming you're a Buddhist).
Entering Nirvana?

Nah... I don't think I'm up to it yet... In fact I'm still in da pits of Hell and Samsara. :bsmilie:

ortega said:
I see nothing strange if ministers were into photography. It is a hobby.
Depending on what type of photography ...... try asking that opposition's guy .....

Canonised said:
Depending on what type of photography ...... try asking that opposition's guy .....

hahah .. and that guy should publish a book! And someone may even pay an obsene amount of money for his picture. :bsmilie:

:bsmilie:
zaren said:
in fact.....why not do everything yourselves! you will save so much money that you will be fabulously rich in no time! :bsmilie:

:bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Good one! I actually burst out laughing! lol!!!!!!!

sfhuang said:
I thought the picture of the little girl that he took wasn't REALLY worth that much attention. But that's just my poor-man's amateurish view. :sticktong

I saw some of the dragon fly stuff -ok but nothing great, the Pargon exhibition started to show that he has made significant improvement, the picture of the girl is a very nice candid with life and more than a touch of soul. Objectively if a man in the street stops to take a second look and another and another - it simply means the picture works. I like that one and admit its verges on excellent probably go down to take a look at the print after all newspaper reproductions are always inferior to the real thing.

I think he has applied how he works to his rediscovered hobby - the drive, the emphasis on detail and execellence and the eradiciation of flaws. HLF was not created out of nothing.

If you think it nothing much, that your right and I feel your lose too.

I am wondering whether KLJ is now a famous photographer because of his outstanding works or because of his "influential" background that makes him a famous photographer (I am not talking about his photographic quality), since some of the members here have mentioned that his works are only so-so. Of course his friends (who are incidently rich and famous too) will buy his works and do some charitable donations, and maybe become proud owners of KLJ's works - a photographer's work or a famous person's photograph? ...

Canonised said:
I am wondering whether KLJ is now a famous photographer because of his outstanding works or because of his "influential" background that makes him a famous photographer (I am not talking about his photographic quality), since some of the members here have mentioned that his works are only so-so. Of course his friends (who are incidently rich and famous too) will buy his works and do some charitable donations, and maybe become proud owners of KLJ's works - a photographer's work or a famous person's photograph? ...

no one said he's a famous photographer
he got featured in the news for his book,great.
any smart businessman knows that to be successful one needs to know how to work his connections, which he did.
there's no need to be bitter about the fact that he takes pictures which you don't think are great and he got so much publicity.

ok, so he's a rich man who happens to have photography as his hobby, and used his reputation and influence to raise money for charity through his pictures.

let it be. he don't deserve all the disguised snide remarks.

Stereobox said:
ok, so he's a rich man who happens to have photography as his hobby, and used his reputation and influence to raise money for charity through his pictures.

let it be. he don't deserve all the disguised snide remarks.

yup that sounds abit right
to look at this more positively, money was raised for charity and photography was put into the spotlight in the newspaper once again.

gotta admit KLJ's definitely got the passion for photography.

with passion comes energy, and with energy comes success. - donald trump

CDL is a big (very) organisation, and yes, he might have saved the company some money when he shot the calendar (back in 2001?). i'm sure he meant it in jest. i think he meant it more like finally having the opportunity to put his hobby to use. i'm sure most of us also like to have our pictures published in some form.

but when it comes to other stuff like property launch, i heard they are quite willing to spend on the advertising budget. shooting for calendar/hobby is quite different shooting commercial images, so i'm sure he's more than willing to hand the jobs to the real professionals.. be it to an ad agency or direct to the photographer.

Status
Not open for further replies.