[Kuwait] DSLR banned! It's now a crime.

hotwork77

Jun 21, 2009
1°19'37.70"N 103°47'39.19"E
The online Kuwait Times reported that The Ministry of Information, Ministry of Social Affairs and Ministry of Finance recently came to the conclusion that photography should be used for journalism purposes only. This has resulted in the ban of Digital Single Lens Reflex Cameras (DSLRs) in public, on the streets and in malls.

When you visit Kuwait for work or holidays, do keep this in mind. More of it here: http://www.kuwaittimes.net/read_news.php?newsid=MzAwMTg4ODg1

I suppose micro 4/3s will catch up in that country~

With the ongoing hybridization of dslrs and compacts, with full frame compacts/rangefinders and SLR-lookalike prosumer stuff... they're gonna have a really hard time drawing their lines. Probably gonna have to deliberately check and label every single new model from every manufacture. Imagine the poor policeman on the street -- gonna become very camera savvy, can retire and become camera salesman.

Last edited:
maybe those coloured pentax dslr might get away with it....

They most prob are firm believers that the man behind the camera is the reson behind great pics..:)

No big deal.... Singapore banned chewing gum!

some new update taken from the website..

www.kuwaittimes.net said:
In a follow up investigation, it was proved that no such ban has been issued. We regret this error and deeply apologize for any inconvenience caused.

but quite funny how DSLR becomes very intimidating to people that some hobbyist got into so much trouble. one even got stopped from his car..:sweat:

more reasons to but the Sony A55 and A33 - It's a dSLT not dSLR xD

Looks like it is a false alarm! The Papers published a retraction.

Imagine the poor policeman on the street -- gonna become very camera savvy, can retire and become camera salesman.

Don't you know that police in these countries don't need a reason. If they say your PnS is a DSLR, then it is a DSLR. It really does not matters if it is or not.

There is a lot of spying and esponiages going on. That is why some countries like UAE, Saudi and even India contemplating banning blackberry. Iran jailed an American journalism , Roxana Saberi, on suspicion of spying. If they say you are a spy, they will make you confess to be one. So it's up to you to take the risk. I wouldn't even want to go there if this is a real ban on DSLR. IMO, these places don't need my tourist dollars and there is nothing for me to shoot there.

Last edited:
nevermind, we take a level up, we use a medium format.

Don't you know that police in these countries don't need a reason. If they say your PnS is a DSLR, then it is a DSLR. It really does not matters if it is or not.

There is a lot of spying and esponiages going on. That is why some countries like UAE, Saudi and even India contemplating banning blackberry. Iran jailed an American journalism , Roxana Saberi, on suspicion of spying. If they say you are a spy, they will make you confess to be one. So it's up to you to take the risk. I wouldn't even want to go there if this is a real ban on DSLR. IMO, these places don't need my tourist dollars and there is nothing for me to shoot there.

I even heard that our MRT also ban photo taking citing the Yishun incident not too long ago. Is the ban still on? :bigeyes:

What Yishun incident? Care to fill me in?

If I recall correctly, the incident at Yishun was that the local JI was video taping the pickup point of US personnel at Yishun when they were rounded up by the ISD. From then on photo taking was barred at all MRT stations. It's during the 911 era so maybe you're too young to notice but if my facts are wrong, feel free to correct them. :cool: