Kunming - Lijiang - Maybe Shangri-La - Dali - Kunming

Bro Astro: Not really into those local public bus...only for long distance...like this http://www.redflag.info/buskunming.htm Within the city itself...will prefer to take cab...read that they are relatively affortable.:think:

Bro W_Chiang: Wow, thanks for you info, will definately check out the few places mentioned. Btw how was the weather there now? Saw it ranges from teen to twenties...sometimes, on the site, it can feel colder with winds and rains.....winter wear necessary?

Just to build up the momentom, would you mind sharing some pictures? :lovegrin:

Bro Astro:
Bro W_Chiang: Wow, thanks for you info, will definately check out the few places mentioned. Btw how was the weather there now? Saw it ranges from teen to twenties...sometimes, on the site, it can feel colder with winds and rains.....winter wear necessary?

Just to build up the momentom, would you mind sharing some pictures? :lovegrin:
I went in early December last year. Weather was about high teens in the daytime in Kunming and about 15 to 16 degrees in Lijiang. But it was a bit chilly in the early mornings around 10 degrees. I don't think winter wear is necessary. Depends on your tolerance I guess. My youngest daughter took some to get used to the weather. She was wearing 5- 6 layers of clothing with gloves when we first got there.

I will put up some pictures when I get home tonight...:sweat:

Some pix to share:

napahai_2269.jpg

banyan_tree_2720.jpg

lijiang_2100.jpg

lijiang_2750_53_55.jpg

local_gal_2200.jpg

More pix at my blog here:
http://petewongtravel.blogspot.com/2011/01/in-search-of-shangri-la.html

Last edited:
Some of the pictures to share:

1.Kunming Stone forest - it is about 90 minutes drive from Kunming

DSC6765web.jpg

2.Black Dragon pool - in Lijiang

DSC6802web.jpg

3. Impressions Lijiang - show directed by Zhang Yi Mou. More than 500 dancers and about 100 horses involved in the show. Mountain in the background is Jade Dragon Snow Mountain. We went up by cable car in the morning. The air is quite thin up there 4500m. Felt light headed. You can buy canned oxygen to bring up with you. Watched the show in the afternoon after coming down from the mountain

DSC6831web.jpg

4. 3 eyed well in Lijiang old town. The first well is for drinking. The second well is for washing vegetable. The third well in the foreground is for washing clothes
DSC6917web.jpg

5. Waterfall along the ancient tea route near La Shi Hai Was one of the stops during the horse riding trip. My children totally enjoyed the horse riding. We did a 2 hour horse riding cum boat rowing thing.
DSC6965web.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks bro Astro and W_chiang...for the impressive shots.....especially the mirror effect in the black dragon....is the water always calm like that or must go in wee early? I learn my lesson when I went Jiuzhai, the water became choppy once the breeze sets in ;p

Itching to haul along my tripod to do some long exposure like that...but that would be quite handful since I also need to take care of 2 luggages, a sling bag and 2 ladies :sweat:

For the impressive Lijiang, do we need to book or can buy over the counter? :sweat:

Thanks bro Astro and W_chiang...for the impressive shots.....especially the mirror effect in the black dragon....is the water always calm like that or must go in wee early? I learn my lesson when I went Jiuzhai, the water became choppy once the breeze sets in ;p

Itching to haul along my tripod to do some long exposure like that...but that would be quite handful since I also need to take care of 2 luggages, a sling bag and 2 ladies :sweat:

For the impressive Lijiang, do we need to book or can buy over the counter? :sweat:

I went to Black Dragon pool twice in the evening. Did not bring tripod. I had 3 luggage and 4 ladies to take care of. :sweatsm: On the second day there was some breeze so the water was not so mirror like. Could not wake up in the mornings:bsmilie:

I booked the tickets for the Impressions Lijiang show through my hotel. The show site is far from town. About 45 minutes drive. It is located next to the cable car station that goes up the Jade Dragon Snow mountain. Most people do it as a day trip combining it with a trip up the mountain/ view the scenery at the base of the mountain, since you have to pay entrance fee to enter the mountain area.

Thanks for all the bros helps...I am day2 in Lijiang right now....weather is very good and clear in day time....surfing and posting from my hotel now....and my...this place is happening...more so in the evening...one street away my hotel is "火鸟".."桃花岛".."一米阳光".....they spin some very cool techno and trance...can hear it from my room all the way till midnight :bsmilie:

Will post some pic when I am home....but be prepared for amaturish work :sweatsm:

I shall keep this thread alive for a while if any bros want to ask some questions, tips or itinery of this trip :p

Hope everything is working out well. Enjoy.