Kuching, Sarawak. Any recommendation on place to put up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wee_ly

Mar 12, 2004
Singapore
weelyboleh.multiply.com
Hi,

I need some suggestions on where to put up in Kuching. This is my first time going there and not too sure what to expect from the city.

Any suggestions relating to Kuching are most welcome.

Thank you.

Hi,

I need some suggestions on where to put up in Kuching. This is my first time going there and not too sure what to expect from the city.

Any suggestions relating to Kuching are most welcome.

Thank you.

U can find out more in our tourism board website:

http://www.sarawaktourism.com/

Welcome to Kuching!:)

I stayed at Holiday Inn about 5 years back. Find it quite value for money (per night less than S$100). It's also next to a shopping centre. The rest that I know of are Hilton & Crowne Plaza but no idea what they are like.

eh bro, when you going? tak jemput pun...

eh bro, when you going? tak jemput pun...

bro..... i did mention to you about cheap fare from senai to kuching not too long ago, right? anyway, i will be heading for kuching on the weekend f1 season buka terai lah.
on the following weekend got to apply leave again for the sepang race. super busy, man.

I stayed at Holiday Inn about 5 years back. Find it quite value for money (per night less than S$100). It's also next to a shopping centre. The rest that I know of are Hilton & Crowne Plaza but no idea what they are like.

thanks for the info, bro stitch.

anyway, i have received quotation from harbour view hotel or something like that. RM170 for 2 with buffet breakfast. heard that this place is not too bad.

I think crowne plaza is around RM200 range. It is much more value for money as compare to harbour view with only a very basic room and facilities. Hilton has the nicest view among the 3 hotels (Hilton, Crowne Plaza and Holiday Inn) in the vicinity so if you are feeling slightly rich, try going for Hilton or Holiday Inn. Check out those last minute offer from online agents, there might be some deals which is surprisingly cheap.

I've always like the Kuching Hilton, facing the river... brings back many good memories...

I stayed at the Crowne Plaza last Nov. Very good and convenient! A very good hotel and the breakfasts!!!!! WOW! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I stayed at the Crowne Plaza last Nov. Very good and convenient! A very good hotel and the breakfasts!!!!! WOW! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

huh? did i hear buffet breakfast? hmmmmm................. mummy mummy..... ;p

thanks for the recommendations.

anyway, for those bros how are looking for budget accommodations in kuching, this might help
http://www.hostelbookers.com/hostels/malaysia/kuching/

http://www.cuti.com.my/hotel.htm?doit=showhotel&state=Sarawak&city=Kuching

I stayed in Rajah Court 10+ years ago...not too bad...have a nice swimming pool :lovegrin:

The only thing I remember now is Kuching is probably one of the city with the most roundabout.....all with a cat statue in the center :lovegrin:

thanks, big kahuna. really appreciate the link. it is a one-stop site whereby one gets to find almost all the much needed info on holidaying in malaysia. i didn't know there is such site. thanks

You might also check this blog for information, as it's written by non-marketing locals. A friend and his friends put it all together, so it has more of an insiders' view to it.

yes.... it is a site mainly focusing on kuching alone. thanks.

say....... can anyone help to suggest what is a must to do or eat or visit while in kuching? i only have a weekend and hope to make full use of the time as much as possible while i am there.

thanks

at the end of waterfront area, there is a "wet market" just beside the river, which might have some great photo-taking opportunities. however, i heard that state government is closing the area soon to give way for a commercial center, hopefully you are not too late. "main bazaar" has plenty of souvenirs and some shops still retained the original look when the place was first built, so it's worth a walking trip to explore the area. all these places are within the vicinity of hotels like holiday inn, crowne, hilton, harbour view etc. you can also take a "sampan" ride (i think is 30sen there about) to reach the opposite side of sarawak river, where you can walk to fort margherita for a short history lesson.

from the hotels, you can also walk for around 20mins to reach the museums, located at the padang merdeka area. some told me that the museums are highly recommended but i don't find it fantastic, perhaps due to my lack of interest in historical stuff.

if you would like to have a quick peep into the native culture, you can drop by "cultural village" which showcases the living environment of various tribes/races. the only draw back is that it is located ard 30+km from the city center. there are a few beach resort located nearby cultural village where you can expect clean yellow-sand-beach. i would recommend to spend a night at holiday inn damai beach resort for exploring the area. if you like a short trek, you can make your way up mount. santubong and it takes about 3 hours to reach the submit. there is a seafood village named "buntal", which you can sample some of the fresh local seafood but the price is not the cheapest in kuching though.

at the end of waterfront area, there is a "wet market" just beside the river, which might have some great photo-taking opportunities. however, i heard that state government is closing the area soon to give way for a commercial center, hopefully you are not too late. "main bazaar" has plenty of souvenirs and some shops still retained the original look when the place was first built, so it's worth a walking trip to explore the area. all these places are within the vicinity of hotels like holiday inn, crowne, hilton, harbour view etc. you can also take a "sampan" ride (i think is 30sen there about) to reach the opposite side of sarawak river, where you can walk to fort margherita for a short history lesson.

from the hotels, you can also walk for around 20mins to reach the museums, located at the padang merdeka area. some told me that the museums are highly recommended but i don't find it fantastic, perhaps due to my lack of interest in historical stuff.

if you would like to have a quick peep into the native culture, you can drop by "cultural village" which showcases the living environment of various tribes/races. the only draw back is that it is located ard 30+km from the city center. there are a few beach resort located nearby cultural village where you can expect clean yellow-sand-beach. i would recommend to spend a night at holiday inn damai beach resort for exploring the area. if you like a short trek, you can make your way up mount. santubong and it takes about 3 hours to reach the submit. there is a seafood village named "buntal", which you can sample some of the fresh local seafood but the price is not the cheapest in kuching though.

wow..... that was a real detailed introduction on kuching, bro. thanks! are you from kuching?

yes, i heard lots about the state museum and was told it is not to be missed. unfortunately, i don't appreciate historical items unless there are antique cameras on display. ;)

ok, definitely going to visit the wet market. that should be tonnes of photo shooting opportunity waiting. there is sunday market (aka tamu to the locals) which is going get me busy shooting too.

i was told not to miss cultural village. have you been to that place before? are there lots of things to see or do over there? bearing in mind, having to make a 30km journey just to visit the place. how to get there apart from catching a taxi?

food - kolo mee and sarawak laksa, i was told. it seems live sago worm is a favourite among the locals. is that true? i'll try to only eat local dishes and delicacies. ;p

wow..... that was a real detailed introduction on kuching, bro. thanks! are you from kuching?

yes, i heard lots about the state museum and was told it is not to be missed. unfortunately, i don't appreciate historical items unless there are antique cameras on display. ;)

ok, definitely going to visit the wet market. that should be tonnes of photo shooting opportunity waiting. there is sunday market (aka tamu to the locals) which is going get me busy shooting too.

i was told not to miss cultural village. have you been to that place before? are there lots of things to see or do over there? bearing in mind, having to make a 30km journey just to visit the place. how to get there apart from catching a taxi?

food - kolo mee and sarawak laksa, i was told. it seems live sago worm is a favourite among the locals. is that true? i'll try to only eat local dishes and delicacies. ;p

i am unable to login so frequently due to some assignments on hand, so please pardon my slow response.

yes, i am from kuching. oops, i missed out sunday market, it's a great place but make sure you wear something light, because it is very hot. you can sample some local snacks there when moving around the market.

the last time i hosted my friends from singapore, they loved the trip to cultural village. 30km journey is not really that demanding, maybe around 45 mins journey so do pay a visit there. for transportation option, you can walk along main bazaar, all the way till you reach a place with open-air taxi station, bus station and a lot of legal "shared vans". just ask which of the shared vans goes to cultural village, I think it costs RM10+ per person to get there. if you are staying at holiday inn, you can take the shuttle bus to the beach resort and walk for 5 mins to reach cultural village, i am not so sure about the pricing so you might want to email them for more information.

i just recalled that there is a free bus with open-top cabin that goes around kuching area and stop at various place of interest. maybe you can google to find out more or contact the tourist information counter upon arrival.

basically if you did not try the local kolo-mee and laksa, it means you have not visited kuching yet.

how about the transportation there? can easily rent a car... let's say like in langkawi?

you can easily get a car at airport from the usual car rental company. try to look up their webpage for more information.

thanks bro donkuok for the advice. i should be deciding where to put up soon before all rooms are snatched up.

bro blackandwhite, thanks for the foc tips on kuching. ok, will try to schedule my time in such a way that i get to cover all of the items / places you have suggested. looks like a weekend trip to kuching is too short. should have planned for a longer period. :embrass:

Status
Not open for further replies.