Kuching, Malaysia

Status
Not open for further replies.

keltong

Aug 6, 2007
Sembawang
Hi,

Newbies on photography and planning a trip with 2 other friends who are interesting in photography too. So want to make this a photography trip.

Planning to go Kuching. Anyone who has any experience to share? Where are the good places in Kuching to go? Any tips to offer? Anything to look out for?

First time doing something like this but think it will be fun, we still have quite a bit of time to plan.

Any input appreciated. Thanks!

Regards,
KELTONG

That is a cool plan you have there mate.Kuching is a nice place to try out to do some photography shooting as I'm currently in Kuching.
To start off,this is a link of a budget hotel that is located at the center of Kuching City http://www.tunehotels.com/.and is just apposite the famous Hilton hotel in Kuching.I was told the walk-in price is at rm60 onwards depends on room packages.So you have to do some homework to suite your own accommodations.
Once your confirm staying in Kuching City,you can have a few places to go for shooting as the list below.

1.The Kuching Riverside,just apposite the road from Hilton Hotel.
2.Tua Pek Kong Temple,a few minutes walk from Hilton Hotel
3. India Street,also a few walking distance(near old court house)
4.Star Cineplex night view,9th floor up and can see nice night view of Kuching.(just apposite Tua Pek Kong Temple)

ALternative places to go:

1.Damai Beach
2.Cultural Village (is located few distance from Damai Beach)
3.Civic Center,Go to the top and u can view whole Kuching.
4.Santubong Beach (ask for details from Holiday Inn Hotel just apposite Hilton Hotel.)
5. Matang Family Park (known as Kubariah)
6. Caves exploring experience in Bau area (this may be a traveling distance from Kuching City)

Well this is a few i can recommended you for now,when u reach Kuching,you can go to the Tourism center near India Street.Cheers !!

Also local food is a another thing you must not miss while you're in Kuching.Here are some list to try out

1. Kuching Kolo Mee
2. Sarawak Laksa
3. Roadside Burgers (Can buy at the Riverside at night)
4. Beef Noodles
5. Bak Kut Teh (diff from Singapore)
6. Authentic Malay food (Go to this place called Satok at 7pm onwards,Night stalls serving all kinds of Malay dishes and Night market scenes on the weekends)
7. Tomato Kueh Tiaw
8. Teh Si Peng (Dual layer )
9. Teh Tarik

Well that is all for now.Hope it helps your planning in more details.Cheers !!

How many days will you be in Kuching?

If have the time, I would recommend you to go to Bako National Park.

few years ago, they chop down the trees at the road towards the airport...

Yesterday 9am, they chop down all the trees along the tun jugah road....

so, the 2 long roads with those big big trees are gone case, cannot take photo liaw ...

the damai beach is call damai puri now...

edited : oo.. and if u r lucky, u can see ghost at the civic center ..

Last edited:
http://wikitravel.org/en/Kuching (Your trusty guide)

If you have a friend who is a civil servant in Kuching like teachers, they can help get special government rates for the accommodations and stuff.

Sarawak Cultural Village(SCV) is a must. They have performances, a tour of different ethnic enclaves, beautiful portrait and landscapes opportunities. Bring a fast lens as most of the houses are not well lit, my 50mm lens is sufficient.

3375086968_3b37d63e09.jpg

Bring someone who wishes to don the rented costumes, great for portraitures.

Harbour view hotel is pretty good since you are at the heart of Kuching. It is alonf the Main Bazaar and the Sarawak River. Make sure you ride on one of those bumboats.
There are actually a lot of backpackers lodge and they will provide transportations to Sarawak Cultural Village.

3375031352_c08bc2a771.jpg

There is a beautiful beach near SCV, I forgot whether it is Santubong or Damai Beach, but it is a photographer’s dream. Beautiful mountainsat the background, low tides and sunset.

3141316284_8c7d76318d.jpg

The caves! Wind and Fairy Caves – please at least visit one. It would be a waste to not experience these limestone caves.

I’ll add more if I can recall other stuffs. Just follow the first link I gave and you would have a wonderful phototrip.

I have two sets of Kuching photos if you wish to see- if anything interests you, just hit me ok :D
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sophomoremoira/sets/

Last edited:
I also going Kuching next Jan 10 for 3days, any body wanna join me?

Oh,there is some CSers from Kuching,Hello guys...nice to meet you !!

Here is a sample overview of our riverside and City area.

3646952425_b9f0c9bfa9_b.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.