Kota Kinabalu Trip

infinity

Oct 11, 2007
Sembawang
Hi all, I know it's a bit early to be getting info but being typical S'porean (kiasu), would like to have a heads-up on this so do forgive me hor. ;)

Anyway, back to the point, I am thinking of organising a KK trip with my friends next year, some queries I have are,

1. When is a good period to visit KK?
2. Is it fine to bring my 40D there? Condensation issues, others etc?
2. Convenience of shooting there (as need to climb up)?
3. Any additional advice / suggestions?

Thanks in advance! :)

1 definately are march.. - jan - march monsoon season so more chance of rain.
2 condensation only occurs when one suddenly change from a colder temperature to a warmer temperature. e.g going from outside into ur warm room (which KK dun have) will cause condensation... prevention method is to keep camera in bag when going through such changes
3 yes...need to climb...and some parts require u to be on 4 (hands and legs on the rocks)
4 bring poncho, torch light, book room in adv. travel light.

1 definately are march.. - jan - march monsoon season so more chance of rain.
2 condensation only occurs when one suddenly change from a colder temperature to a warmer temperature. e.g going from outside into ur warm room (which KK dun have) will cause condensation... prevention method is to keep camera in bag when going through such changes
3 yes...need to climb...and some parts require u to be on 4 (hands and legs on the rocks)
4 bring poncho, torch light, book room in adv. travel light.

Hi, thanks for the reply. :)
The weather on KK should be rather cold, right? Is there any danger in terms of carrying a bag (big enough to hold 1 cam, xtra lens etc) and climbing at the same time? Any good travel agencies to recommend?

Many thanks in advance! ;p

KK itself is as hot as Singapore. Only if u go up the Mt. Kinabalu national park, it will become cooler but still not issue on condensation.

Er, is TS referring to Kota Kinabalu (which is the town) or Mt. Kinabalu (which is the mountain)? Two completely different places. And btw, KK = Kota Kinabalu = town. Mt. K is the mountain.

Last edited:
I am going end of this month. :) i think it is raining season.. Let you know when i am back.

Last edited:
Heard from those visit there before, best timing is April, for climbing the Mt Kinabalu.

Hi all, I know it's a bit early to be getting info but being typical S'porean (kiasu), would like to have a heads-up on this so do forgive me hor. ;)

Anyway, back to the point, I am thinking of organising a KK trip with my friends next year, some queries I have are,

:)

good period is when labor starts.
anyway why do you have to organise visiting kendang kerbau with friends, its a cab ride away

Hi, thanks for the reply. :)
The weather on KK should be rather cold, right? Is there any danger in terms of carrying a bag (big enough to hold 1 cam, xtra lens etc) and climbing at the same time? Any good travel agencies to recommend?

Many thanks in advance! ;p

no danger...quite ez to climb...so long as you are not tired. just make sure its backpack and not some sling bag.

haha no travel agencies...i just flew budget airlines over...stay in lodge(without booking) but plz dun be like me.

oh ya u can hire a guide over there to bring you up the mountain, if im not wrong that is a must - regulation by the national park. on your way dun forget to make a visit to the hot spring. quality cant be compared to japan, but certainly worth it to relax your legs. in the city, enjoy the cheap seafood and a good hotel stay (much better than the lodge). i didnt book again. ha...but im garang kind can sleep on streets one...so dun be like me. haha:sweat:

oh ya...the climb up takes 3-6 hours( i took 4.5 hrs when i was a fit army boy). so make sure you start climbing in the afternoon and make it there before night falls. pack some cup noodles...the food at lodge sucks...and quite ex. i rather buy hot water from them and eat cup noodles.

Er, is TS referring to Kota Kinabalu (which is the town) or Mt. Kinabalu (which is the mountain)? Two completely different places. And btw, KK = Kota Kinabalu = town. Mt. K is the mountain.

Apologies for the confusion, I meant to visit the town and climb the mountain, heard that the sun rise there is very spectacular. :)

good period is when labor starts.
anyway why do you have to organise visiting kendang kerbau with friends, its a cab ride away

Err, you had me lost with your reply, KK stand for Kota Kinabalu..... :confused:

Ok... since it is visiting both Kota Kinabalu and G. Kinabalu:

1. For Kota Kinabalu, anytime. For G. Kinabalu, anytime off the monsoon season, i.e. Mar-Apr or Aug-Sep.
2. Condensation will occur, especially when you descend from the mountain, where it is cold up high and humid near Laban Rata. It happened to my compact camera (the lens fogged up) during the several times I was there, but it is ok as it will just clear up afterwards and won't damage the lens. Also, another thing to consider is the weight of your DSLR + lens. If you're ok with it, by all means bring it along, the sunrise is worth taking.
3. Well, you'll probably want to consider bringing a minipod to shoot the sunrise. A full fledge tripod will probably be too heavy and bulky. From Laban Rata to Sayat-sayat you'll need to traverse through a cliff face.
4. Remember to book you accommodation early. Booking starts 6 months in advance, and you'll need to call in earliest you could in order to secure the beds in Laban Rata Resthouse. Otherwise you'll need to settle for the unheated rooms at Gunting Laganda and lose the convenience of having the cafeteria nearby as well.
5. For Kota Kinabalu, if you have time, allocate at least one additional day to visit the Tunku Abdul Rahman Park off the coast of KK town. You can either do island hopping or snorkeling. If you have enough energy, go for white water rafting at Padas river as well. You can also visit Poring hotspring (which is not far from Kinabalu Park HQ) to relax after the climb.

Cheers and have fun. :)

Last edited:

I am also planning to go next year during May. Do contact me as a team of 12 is cheaper.
I didnt make it to the summit during my July trip which rain all the way up and down during the 6 hour climb.

1)My guide recommend us to climb during May to june (warmer period)
2) I brought my 40D up but too tired to take it out. No condensation. The mountain is so beautiful even with a PnS the picture turn out nice.
3) Use a smaller back pack during the summit climb as you can lost balance and fall down the 60 degree clift.
4) Bring lots of warm cloths, they charge RM8 per kg of lauage u bring up. You will be too tired or cold to think of eating.

Last edited:
4) Bring lots of warm cloths, they charge RM8 per kg of lauage u bring up. You will be too tired or cold to think of eating.

This is only so if you hire porter to carry your luggage. There is no charge if you carry them up yourself. Also, after the 1st day ascent up to Laban Rata, it is vital that you eat and drink to replenish your energy, and rest early to prepare for the summit climb next morning which starts off around 2-3am. You should also take a light breakfast before the summit attempt; the cafeteria at Laban Rata Resthouse is open at that hour to serve breakfast to the climbers, but you'll need to place the order the evening before to avoid long wait.

In case the TS is not aware, there are 2 trails going up to Laban Rata - one is the newer trail called Mesilau trail which is more scenic but harder and longer. The other one is the Timpohon trail (also called power station trail as it passes by a power station) which is shorter and easier. It's about 2 hrs difference between the two, and which one to choose depends on your fitness level.

Before going, I would suggest the TS to train up a little on the physical fitness, so that it is more enjoyable during the actual climb. Training should be done about 3 months in advance, carrying about 4-6kg backpack walking up/down an HDB flat of 24 stories or higher, for 3 or more rounds at least once a week.

Don't forget to wear a pair of worn in trekking shoes ...

Ok... since it is visiting both Kota Kinabalu and G. Kinabalu:

4. Remember to book you accommodation early. Booking starts 6 months in advance, and you'll need to call in earliest you could in order to secure the beds in Laban Rata Resthouse. Otherwise you'll need to settle for the unheated rooms at Gunting Laganda and lose the convenience of having the cafeteria nearby as well.

Hi, how did you book previously? Through travel agencies or d.i.y? I wonder which is cheaper and is the difference compensate by convenience..... :think:

I am also planning to go next year during May. Do contact me as a team of 12 is cheaper.
I didnt make it to the summit during my July trip which rain all the way up and down during the 6 hour climb.

1)My guide recommend us to climb during May to june (warmer period)
2) I brought my 40D up but too tired to take it out. No condensation. The mountain is so beautiful even with a PnS the picture turn out nice.
3) Use a smaller back pack during the summit climb as you can lost balance and fall down the 60 degree clift.

Hi, will take note! :)

Just curious, where did you get the info a team of 12 is cheaper? From travel agencies? I thought a sizeable group should be ok but didn't know there's a min headcount. Did you go as a group of 12 previously?

Since you have been there before, mind sharing how did you do the booking? d.i.y or through travel agencies? Recommendations?

Too many qns, apologies! :bsmilie: