Status
Not open for further replies.

elutris

Mar 15, 2002
Upper Bukit Timah
www.elutris.net
Warning: Potential gory photos with blood ahead

DSC06476.jpg

Before the sacrifice. The sheeps finding comfort from one another.

DSC06499.jpg

Sacrificial Tools

DSC06536.jpg

Feet and Hooves

DSC06558.jpg

The Cut

DSC06560.jpg

The draining of blood

A little more...

DSC06565.jpg

Young Malay boy twisting the sheep's neck off before it is skinned.

DSC06578.jpg

The men get to work with the precision of a surgeon. A whole lamb can be stripped and chopped into its different parts in matter of minutes.

DSC06588.jpg

Gasping for its last breath.

DSC06601.jpg

Separated into different parts.

DSC06627.jpg

After the first sheep was caught to be slaughtered, the rest smelled fear in the air and starting pushing to get as far away as possible into a corner.

hey... i was there too... were u the chinese guy in the black framed specs?
great coverage btw...

MÝ Ðë©ËMBëR® said:
nice pics! two thumbs up for you! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
btw... wats ur cammy setup like? :embrass:

Thanks for the compliment! I have not been taking photos for some time now and it is nice to get the itch out of the system. :)

I am using a humble Sony F828 btw. No other equipment used.

rusty said:
hey... i was there too... were u the chinese guy in the black framed specs?
great coverage btw...

I was there with my friend. We both wear black framed specs so not sure who you could have been looking at. Anyway, I was using a Sony F828. Were you there to watch, participate or take photos?

I would like to offer the flip side of these images, with these sacrificial lambs alot of the poor will get to eat some meat, in many countries they are canned for distribution to poor nations.

I guess if you are not vegetarian and have never seen how they do it in the abattoir or slaughterhouse, they are done very similarly, although maybe in a larger scale and sometimes even more gory.

The tools used here... though not shown the edges... are only those really really sharp knives and they sharpen again every few lambs.

Every part of the lamb is taken, yes even the head so no wastage.

Peace.

../azul123

Nice shots elutris. This is one festival that many singaporeans don't know much about except that its a public holiday. Well done !:thumbsup:

azul123 said:
The tools used here... though not shown the edges... are only those really really sharp knives and they sharpen again every few lambs.

In fact they sharpened it after every 2 sheep. Knives had to be sharp enough to cut deep enough to the major blood vessel within 3-4 slides of the blade, anymore, the sheep would have to be buried instead of eaten.

u mean its in the mosque? can non-muslims actually go in just to take pictures?

namska said:

I saw some Chinese at Bedok Mosque. I don't know if they are Muslims though. I guess if you dressed decently, it should be ok. Death metal t-shirt is a no-no!
Why not go with your Muslim friends. They can even explain what Hari Raya Haji is all about.

namska said:
usually the slaughtering of the sheep is not in the mosque per se but in the mosque's compound. whether u can go in or not to take pictures all depends on the mosque's officials cos u might be hindering their movement or the way the pics are taken when presented or shown to the public cld give a bad light even tho' that may not be ur intention.

from what i know, the mosque's officials wldn't mind public taking pics as long as it's not within the slaughtering area. only official photographers or press photographers are usually allowed (permission required from the mosque's officials).

hope this info helps. since the korban is already over for this year, you can prepare urself for the next year. if i'm not mistaken next year's hari raya haji will fall at the end of year 2006.

Thanks elutris... your pics fulfilled my curiousity even though its pretty bloody.........

LensView said:
Nice shots elutris. This is one festival that many singaporeans don't know much about except that its a public holiday. Well done !:thumbsup:

Thanks for the thumbs up! It's good to expose ourselves and understand our Muslim counterparts practices. As a girl, some of my friends were surprise that I went and asked how I could stand the gore.

namska said:

To answer your question, yes you can go into the mosque. You have to be dressed conservatively though. As female, I made she I was wearing long pants, shirt and shoes. Was actually wearing a jacket but it got too hot after a while. :)

It's polite to ask some personnel before taking the photos though. The guy that I asked, simply waved me on and said, "Take take!":bsmilie:

AixisOfJustice said:
from what i know, the mosque's officials wldn't mind public taking pics as long as it's not within the slaughtering area. only official photographers or press photographers are usually allowed (permission required from the mosque's officials).

Just to add on, the mosque that I went to, Darusalam at Clementi, has it's slaughtering area at the perimeter of the mosque compound. Observers can simple stand by the railings and look at the sacrifice up close.

Status
Not open for further replies.