KOPITIAM does not accept cash anymore. Is this right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hotmilo

Oct 5, 2005
Recently, some Kopitiam food courts do not accept cash anymore at the food stalls. All purchases must be done via stored value cards issued by Kopitiam. I went to one Kopitiam food court recently and was told that I cannot pay by cash. Instead I must purchase a stored value card and pay using that card.

Well, I find this goes against the basic principle of buying and selling. For example, if I was to sell you an item for $2, is it right for me to ask you to pay me $5 of which I will keep the balance until you make your subsequent purchase(s) from me with small discounts thrown in and deduct accordingly thereon? I guess it wouldn't be an issue if both of us agree to the condition.

However, what if you do not agree even though there'll be future discounts? Of course, I have no right to force you as a consumer to part with more than the value of the current transaction. As a consumer, you could choose either to walk away or demand to pay the exact amount by cash on a single transaction basis.

Well, not with Kopitiam though. You could walk away, but not pay the exact amount by cash. Even SMRT and SBS Transit have the option to pay the exact amount on a per trip basis, albeit at a higher price. At least there is a choice still.

I believe there will be more disadvantages and inconveniences that the consumer has to bear because of this privately enforced ruling. You may share your views here.

Make no mistake here though - there is no issue whatsoever with the discounts or benefits offered by subscribing the stored value card. One should subcribe the card and enjoy the benefits if one prefers to do so.

However, my point is that a consumer cannot be forced into paying more up-front if he/she does not want to. There must be an option to pay the exact amount by cash on a single transaction basis.

What's your take on this?

hotmilo said:
Recently, some Kopitiam food courts do not accept cash anymore at the food stalls. All purchases must be done via stored value cards issued by Kopitiam. I went to one Kopitiam food court recently and was told that I cannot pay by cash. Instead I must purchase a stored value card and pay using that card.

Well, I find this goes against the basic principle of buying and selling. For example, if I was to sell you an item for $2, is it right for me to ask you to pay me $5 of which I will keep the balance until you make your subsequent purchase(s) from me with small discounts thrown in and deduct accordingly thereon? I guess it wouldn't be an issue if both of us agree to the condition.

However, what if you do not agree even though there'll be future discounts? Of course, I have no right to force you as a consumer to part with more than the value of the current transaction. As a consumer, you could choose either to walk away or demand to pay the exact amount by cash on a single transaction basis.

Well, not with Kopitiam though. You could walk away, but not pay the exact amount by cash. Even SMRT and SBS Transit have the option to pay the exact amount on a per trip basis, albeit at a higher price. At least there is a choice still.

I believe there will be more disadvantages and inconveniences that the consumer has to bear because of this privately enforced ruling. You may share your views here.

Make no mistake here though - there is no issue whatsoever with the discounts or benefits offered by subscribing the stored value card. One should subcribe the card and enjoy the benefits if one prefers to do so.

However, my point is that a consumer cannot be forced into paying more up-front if he/she does not want to. There must be an option to pay the exact amount by cash on a single transaction basis.

What's your take on this?

I seldom eat at food court, and dunno that they have this in Kopitiam... somehow, it feels like those gaming centres i used to frequent, and sometimes i go play game, i forget to bring, i buy another 1, then wasting the stored value on another... and holding 2 cards makes no sense sometimes... sometimes i just dun really bother about the perks, i just wan 2 games, gimme a 2bucks card... hehe...

but then if u ask me to buy a 10 buck card to have a 1 buck drink... can i tell them to fly kite?

i think not all.. i just ate at kopitiam PS on Fri and kpt NUH yesterday. They accept cash still.

Is there an option to refund unused portion of the card immediately on that day? If yes, then it's not so bad. Just takes getting used to. So instead of getting change from each stall/purchase, we get the change one shot. If there isn't this option, then I will just walk out of whatever place, be it kopitiam or restaurant, that impose this mandatory system.

If I have to buy a base value for the card (like transit link), I'll walk out immediately. :)

putting myself into the Kopitiam owners shoes...

Now I don't have to give out small change or complain I don't have enough small change for my customers $50 when they buy a cup of tea.

Can you name the dumb Kopitam?

JE's still need cash, cards not accepted ... but I think tt if you want to purchase food from them, you hv to accept the "terms n conditions" of the sale as well ... like I cannot pay using card at JE and enjoy the discount ...

faced w tt, u can always assert ur consumer right n walk away, not buying anything ...

It is on a trial provisional basis at one branch of KopiTiam - the rest will follow suit if they receive good response there (or so the TV news said).

yanyewkay said:
i think not all.. i just ate at kopitiam PS on Fri and kpt NUH yesterday. They accept cash still.

Yes you can refund the unused portion - however, do you really want to queue up THREE times each time?

One to buy the card, another time to buy your food, and one more time to refund the balance.

From queue one time to queue 3 times...

shinken said:
Is there an option to refund unused portion of the card immediately on that day? If yes, then it's not so bad. Just takes getting used to. So instead of getting change from each stall/purchase, we get the change one shot. If there isn't this option, then I will just walk out of whatever place, be it kopitiam or restaurant, that impose this mandatory system.

If I have to buy a base value for the card (like transit link), I'll walk out immediately. :)

hanafi said:

Now I don't have to give out small change or complain I don't have enough small change for my customers $50 when they buy a cup of tea.

To be frank, customers will still complain that you expect them to buy a $10 card for a cup of tea which cost less than $1.

Bukit Panjang Plaza Kopitiam card only, strictly no cash. Went there last Fri.
Quite inconvenient if you are not a nearby resident and want just one meal..

Don't buy! or write in and kick up a big fuss at their headquarters!
Check yellowpages for their address! or better still Write to forum!!;)

Personally rarely eat at kopitiam... rather go to the hawker centres! ;)

Its all about making the company having an easy time and the consumers the hard time.

These private corporations are following the governments' move to pass the work to the consumers. ALl the E-filing, E this E that, all is to transfer the work to the customers, so they can employ less staff.

This is IN ADDITION to the fact that nowadays, companies like to use stored value cards so that they get a large pool of extra cash to do investments and cash flow problems. Again, use the small man's money for the big man's benefit.

The problem in Singapore is, they rather spread out the problem among 1 million people than to have the few persons who is supposed to handle the problem do it.

hanafi said:

Would this thread be in anyway related to the latest issue of sch tuckshop using ezlink cards to pay for food? in a way, it hurts more when you see real paper money being paid for your purchase rather than just a tap on the card. guess it would subconciously make us spend more. so evil.

FLAME ME!! :flame:

So if next time your hawker centre also implement stored value card then what you going to do? Lagi best, implement stall by stall so each stall got his own card (this is taking it to the extreme for illustration).

This Kopitiam one will be the milestone to see if companies can get away with stored value cards - already those with financial muscle like MRT/SBS did it as consumers have no choice. Now Kopitiam does it - it will be a matter of time before you see EVERYONE having it.

Their arguments of convenience etc does not fly - because they can use universally accepted cards to implement, such as cash cards or ez link card. They can apply their "discounts" to offset the royalty or service fees implemented by these card companies.

Nisa said:
Don't buy! or write in and kick up a big fuss at their headquarters!
Check yellowpages for their address! or better still Write to forum!!;)

Personally rarely eat at kopitiam... rather go to the hawker centres! ;)

The school tuckshop case can be differentiated in the following ways:

1. It uses a major card to make payment (Ez Link) rather than to buy yet another stored value card.

2. There is the option to pay cash if you dont want to pay by card.

3. Some schools have given up the pay by card thing after feedback that the schoolkids lose their sense of the value of money and/or how to count money after the card was implemented.

satay16 said:
Would this thread be in anyway related to the latest issue of sch tuckshop using ezlink cards to pay for food? in a way, it hurts more when you see real paper money being paid for your purchase rather than just a tap on the card. guess it would unconciously make us spend more. so evil.

FLAME ME!! :flame:

vince123123 said:
Its all about making the company having an easy time and the consumers the hard time.

These private corporations are following the governments' move to pass the work to the consumers. ALl the E-filing, E this E that, all is to transfer the work to the customers, so they can employ less staff.

This is IN ADDITION to the fact that nowadays, companies like to use stored value cards so that they get a large pool of extra cash to do investments and cash flow problems. Again, use the small man's money for the big man's benefit.

The problem in Singapore is, they rather spread out the problem among 1 million people than to have the few persons who is supposed to handle the problem do it.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: haha later the whole business closed down, then everyone will lose their money! haha what is a few bucks to anyone? but then if u calculate the cards.... it might even reach a few hundred thousands.... :sweat:

My Alma Mater uses the Cashcard system in the school canteen.

Good and bad.

Good: No need to carry coins or cash.
Bad:
1)Slow processing leads to longer purchase time and longer queue. Need to slot in, auntie key amount, check/verify with Cashcard DB, approve, done.
2) Lose cashcard means one whole week no need to eat, because it's stored value.

davsmiths said:
My Alma Mater uses the Cashcard system in the school canteen.

Good and bad.

Good: No need to carry coins or cash.
Bad:
1)Slow processing leads to longer purchase time and longer queue. Need to slot in, auntie key amount, check/verify with Cashcard DB, approve, done.
2) Lose cashcard means one whole week no need to eat, because it's stored value.

You forgotten one more thing. Sometime the reader cannot read the chip on the cashcard.

Status
Not open for further replies.