Konica Z3 or Panasonic FZ10??

Status
Not open for further replies.

bwilly

Aug 28, 2004
Woodlands
www.markkhor.com
hi guys,

I am planning to get a new digital camera to replace my Olympus C3020 (3.2megapixels).
I am looking at the Panasonic DMC FZ10 and the Konica Minolta Z3. Both as you see
comes with anti-shake, 4mega pixels, large zoom. What I am looking at.
My budget is about $1,000 for my new camera. Any recommendation?

I have some old add on and teleshot (52mm) lens purchased for my Olympus.
I see the Z3 does not seem to comes with len thread to fix future add on.
Also the picture comes out slightly coloured differ from the original scene.
But the Z3 has mega burst shots (1.3megapixel) 10fps and fast startup compare to Panasonic FZ10.

What about the FZ10 len thread?
Any recommedation between the 2, or any within my budget.

The Z3 has got thread for a lens adapter but it is not available here for another 1 month. Please note that the adapter for the Z3 is different from Z1/Z2.

You are right about the speed of the Z3 in UHS, shoots like a machine gun!! It is also easy to handle with its large grip, but everyone says it is built like a toy (rather flimsy when compared to the FZ10).

As for picture quality, the FZ10 definitely has the edge - Leica F2.8 lens across 12x zoom. Manual focusing using a ring is a super feature as compared to the Z3 which uses digital steps. Pictures are sharp and well saturated. Only thing about the FZ10, I do not like is the proprietary battery, rather expensive as of now.

Anyway the FZ20 will be replacing the FZ10 in a couple of weeks. You may wanna wait a little longer. ;p

I can't really wait.. tks for the reply.
haha..
I am entitle to purchase stuffs for 25% under a credit card promotion..
hehe.. so I got to make my choice for the month of September..

So far I am thumbs up on the Z3, because of fast startup, the machine gun
turbo snaps.. batteries compatible with my old olympus..

The panasonic looks more pro though.. but the battery.. unless I got it at comex, which comes with additional battery. not worth it to buy now.

bwilly said:
I can't really wait.. tks for the reply.
haha..
I am entitle to purchase stuffs for 25% under a credit card promotion..
hehe.. so I got to make my choice for the month of September..

So far I am thumbs up on the Z3, because of fast startup, the machine gun
turbo snaps.. batteries compatible with my old olympus..

The panasonic looks more pro though.. but the battery.. unless I got it at comex, which comes with additional battery. not worth it to buy now.

Interesting, what credit card promotion if I may ask? Can tempang to buy FZ20 at 25% discount? ;p

its under HSBC..
I am a card member.
problem is the 25% will not be a direct discount.

it will be rebate basis, credit to my card only in Decemeber 2004.
So I still need to pay 100% of the bill next month.
I will use my rebate to purchase maybe some cam accesories lohz..
:)

I'm a huge fan of the FZ10, in part because of the focus ring (which the MInolta doesn't have), and in part because of the rock-solid construction (which translates into more weight and less shaking at full zoom... Image stabilization only goes so far). I'd say the threaded sunhood is a big bonus (so far I've used ND filters for long exposures, and am thinking of getting a fish-eye lens). And I've seen some pictures taken by the Minolta that seem just a tad grainier, and not quite as color-rich, as my Panasonic pictures (the FZ10 has an ISO option of 50. How low does the Minolta go?).

In other words, even though I've never really used the Minolta (just played with it at the store), I'd still not my preference for the Lumix is unfounded.

Bernardo
AirShowFan.com

malfita said:
I'm a huge fan of the FZ10, in part because of the focus ring (which the MInolta doesn't have), and in part because of the rock-solid construction (which translates into more weight and less shaking at full zoom... Image stabilization only goes so far). I'd say the threaded sunhood is a big bonus (so far I've used ND filters for long exposures, and am thinking of getting a fish-eye lens). And I've seen some pictures taken by the Minolta that seem just a tad grainier, and not quite as color-rich, as my Panasonic pictures (the FZ10 has an ISO option of 50. How low does the Minolta go?).

In other words, even though I've never really used the Minolta (just played with it at the store), I'd still not my preference for the Lumix is unfounded.

Bernardo
AirShowFan.com

I kinda agree with you that the pictures are more saturated in the FZ10 than in the Minolta Z3. The reason why I sold off my FZ10 to buy the Z3 was because of the slow focusing under low light.The forthcoming FZ20 will come with AF assist light. The LCD in the FZ10 is also somehow useless (as there is no gain up) when you shoot in the dark. :cry:

bwilly said:
kind of put me in a spot what to get now..
haha..!!

You have until end Sept to decide. By then FZ20 would be already out. My advice, go try the Minolta Z3 now (at Minolta Showroom level 6 Funan Centre) then the Panasonic FZ20 when it is out this month. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.