Konica-Minolta sold to SONY!--big news!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
It sound like a good news to me..the current one isn't doing a very good job of promoting the product

It's a sad new for Minolta supporter though.
Sony will provide future SLR system for Minolta mount lens, hope they will inherit Minolta lens & SLR technology for future development, or source lens from Carl Zeiss.
1) Camera Business

In camera business, we have reached an agreement with Sony Corporation(Sony), having numerous image sensor technologies such as CCD and CMOS, to jointly develop digital SLR cameras in July 2005. In order to continue to have our customers use Maxxum/Dynax lenses, and to maximize possibilities of the optical, mechanical and electronics technologies accumulated through development of SLR cameras in the years to come, we came to the conclusion that it was best to transfer assets concerning camera business to Sony. Since then, we have been negotiating with Sony, and as a result, we have reached an agreement with Sony to transfer a portion of assets regarding digital SLR camera system to Sony*1. In this relation, we have decided to withdraw from camera business*2, such as film cameras and digital cameras, within Konica Minolta Group as of March 31, 2006.
Sony is planning to develop digital SLR cameras compatible with Maxxum/Dynax lens mount system, so that the current Maxxum/Dynax users will be able to continue to use them with Sony’s digital SLR cameras. In addition, we will consign camera service operations for Konica Minolta, Konica,Minolta brand cameras and related equipment to Sony.

*1 Pease refer to the news release, “Partial Transfer of Assets Related to Digital SLR Cameras “, separately announced today. *2 Except for digital SLR cameras and interchangeable lenses produced for Sony.

Sony DSLR using KM lens...KM DSLR using Sony lens?

Maybe not bad afterall.

Now, Minolta forum & Sony forum can merge :bsmilie:

Don, BTW what was KMOS?
Now become: Konica Minolta O??? Sony

This may actually be good news. We may expect to see zeiss lenses for minolta, thanks to sony's partnering with CZ. Sony's marketing has been much better and stronger than Minolta.

Btw, what's the name going to be?
Sonica-Minolta?
Konie-Minnie-Sonie?
Kmony?

minolta have a sony price tag now.

zcf said:
Now, Minolta forum & Sony forum can merge :bsmilie:

Don, BTW what was KMOS?
Now become: Konica Minolta O??? Sony

SOKOMINOLTA!

As long as the support and continuing development is still in process, I guess consumer got not much to worry about.

The thing is it's probably a sad day for Konica Minolta workers, retrenchment again :cry:

Eyesthruthelens said:
Minolta DSLR will be expensive.. :(
Probably, so buy, buy, buy now :bsmilie:
But will gain other advantage from Sony like better battery life, LCD, CCD? :think:

no memory stick pls...

sony full frame CCD can quick used on A9D lah this year PMA meeting!

new brand coming: SM (sony minolta), no konica business at all lah.

SM body, SM lens, SM flash....

Memory stick also!

TuTu_CaR said:
no memory stick pls...

Definitely there will be memory stick so that Sony die hard users can upgrade to the new DSLR from Sony Minolta..
But there will be CF slot option as well.. same as what current R1 has from Sony.. :)

Price will go up.. :thumbsd:

at least KMS sounds better than KNS! KaNaSai! :bsmilie:
actually, rumours and speculations since the news on collaboration between KM & Sony, i already expected this to happen.

It's not a merge, it's a selling. New batch will call SONY, don't think they will use again the name of Konica Minolta again.

Sigh for the legendary journey of Minolta in camera business, have been admiring their technology and optics. Things will now change, hope it goes to a good way.

hafele said:
It's not a merge, it's a selling. New batch will call SONY, don't think they will use again the name of Konica Minolta again.

Sigh for the legendary journey of Minolta in camera business, have been admiring their technology and optics. Things will now change, hope it goes to a good way.
ya lor, after 1st March, all new DSLRs should be named SONY i guess.

hafele said:

Compaq sold to HP few years ago.. til today, there is still Compaq PC around..
Hopefully Minolta name will still be there in future.. :)

In view that most other DSLR makers depend on Sony for their CCDs, I'm extremely curious how it would affect the competition. To join Canon, Sony will be the other camera manufacturer to produce their own CCDs as well as cameras. In fact, Sony will have an edge over Canon in terms of leading the competition because other cameras are dependent on Sony to supply the latest technology for CCD. Good news for existing KM mount.

Only possible negative point I can think of is price. I'll be watching the resale market closely.

As least Sony is a more stable company than Konica Minolta. Wonder will other smaller DSLR manufacturers face the same fate or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.