Kodak stops production of SLR/n and SLR/c digital SLRs


Status
Not open for further replies.

Darren

ClubSNAP Admin
Staff member
Jan 16, 2002
8,608
27
48
Melbourne
#1
Another one bites the dust? :(

Kodak has apparently started informing the dealers in North America that their DCS Pro SLR/n and SLR/c DSLRs are no longer being produced and sales will be while existing stocks last. Kodak will be concentrating on the lower end market for point'n'shoots.

News at Rob Galbraith
News at DPReview
 

Mar 22, 2005
434
0
16
#2
Heard that it is quite a good dslr. but unfortunately me $$$ no enough
 

Stereobox

Senior Member
Dec 21, 2003
2,116
0
0
Cocteau Twins
#4
they manufactured chips for the phase one digibacks..right? i don't know.. just anyhow bom..
 

Spectrum

Senior Member
Jun 22, 2003
3,779
0
0
Here
Visit site
#5
How can the Americans compete with the Japanese in terms digital products & it's production cost? Japanese are very hard working & innovative people too. Just imagine a country with a population of more than 130 million & with the influence by the Americans since the late 18th century till now. With all this plus points, the Americans have to really work harder, I think? :)
 

szekiat

Senior Member
Jan 19, 2002
2,252
0
0
London
Visit site
#6
without going too far OT, i don't think it is a case of whether americans can compete with the japanese. the kodak is a great camera, and can probably beat most current dslrs within its optimal ISO range. Its only problem is that it is so specialized within that current spectrum. It just can't perform beyond that. America has produced many great products and continue to do so. A firm case being that the best computer chips in the world, whether apple or wintel are still designed in the us. They are also at least a generation in front of others in terms of military designs and innovation. It is a pity that the kodak has to die a death like this but it cannot be reflective of america as a whole. the japanese are not exactly having the time of their lives either.
 

ricohflex

Senior Member
Feb 24, 2005
3,353
8
38
sing
#7
Kodak is good at basic R&D
Heard Oly E300 using Kodak chip
They supply CCDs to other cam makers.
But Kodak poor at translating R&D into consumer product like say, Canon 1Ds Mk2.
USA is leader in technology and camera is too low tech to interest them.
They are into missiles, arms, hydrogen bombs, aircraft carriers, fighter jets, tanks, oil refineries, hollywood blockbuster movies, Disneyland, giant casinos, etc....
Japanese have great attention to detail in consumer goods.
You know it when you handle one of their top cams of yesteryear.
Nikon F2 or Canon F1-N.
Even their packaging is excellent and an art in itself. :p
 

hongsien

Senior Member
Mar 11, 2002
3,688
0
36
105
Hong Kong
Visit site
#8
ricohflex said:
Kodak is good at basic R&D
Heard Oly E300 using Kodak chip
They supply CCDs to other cam makers.
But Kodak poor at translating R&D into consumer product like say, Canon 1Ds Mk2.
USA is leader in technology and camera is too low tech to interest them.
They are into missiles, arms, hydrogen bombs, aircraft carriers, fighter jets, tanks, oil refineries, hollywood blockbuster movies, Disneyland, giant casinos, etc....
Japanese have great attention to detail in consumer goods.
You know it when you handle one of their top cams of yesteryear.
Nikon F2 or Canon F1-N.
Even their packaging is excellent and an art in itself. :p
Those americanos did make 35mm cameras (forgot the names.....), and I love their Burp and James and Graflexes!

HS
 

adam72

New Member
Jun 11, 2004
93
0
0
45
behind tiong bahru plaza
#9
well, it is rather sad that kodak's illustrious track record in DSLR is ending. kodak was the pioneer DSLR producer way back in 1990 where the 1.3mp DCS100 was introduced. even earlier on in 1986 the world's 1st 1.4mp CCD was made by them.

but saying that, canon & nikon upsurp kodak and made their own DSLRs. in less than 10 yrs, nikon came out with the D1 in 1999 & canon D30 in 2000.

the passing of kodak's DSLR will definitely be mourned, but the 2 photographic giants, canon & nikon have taken the baton in future DSLRs' production, and this will only benefit current & future digital photogs in the world! :D
 

ricohflex

Senior Member
Feb 24, 2005
3,353
8
38
sing
#13
don't forget Dr. Edwin Land and his Polaroid cameras.
great invention.
Kodak made a SLR in 1950s? now collector's item
US military had cameras and lenses that are used in spy planes 40,000 feet high in the sky. Sharp enough to resolve the rivets on the wing of a Russian jet plane on the ground.
 

F5user

New Member
Oct 15, 2004
930
0
0
B.Timah, New york, SoCal.
#15
hongsien said:
Those americanos did make 35mm cameras (forgot the names.....), and I love their Burp and James and Graflexes!

HS
Those cameras ROCK!!!

AHAHAHA

Burp and james... i think it's Burk? no?
 

PnS

New Member
Apr 8, 2005
755
0
0
picasaweb.google.com
#16
Spectrum said:
How can the Americans compete with the Japanese in terms digital products & it's production cost? Japanese are very hard working & innovative people too. Just imagine a country with a population of more than 130 million & with the influence by the Americans since the late 18th century till now. With all this plus points, the Americans have to really work harder, I think? :)

Very well said, could'nt agree more :D
 

smallaperture

Senior Member
Jan 5, 2004
2,441
0
0
Catchment Area
#18
This is probably a painful but wise decision by the top brass of Kodak. You need to volume to be able to recoup the R&D cost. So, might be better to move to the consumer cameras that have got some fighting chance to survive. We know that in time to come, film would become a niche product that appeals to the arty-farty so that volume would never be there.

Like to add that US still very strong in IT, in Aerospace, Military and a few other items.
 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom