Kodak SLR/c Chimera Reviewed

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only reason to get this camera is that it offers image quality very close to the 1Ds, but ONLY UNDER CERTAIN CONDITIONS - low ISO, correct choice of lens correction (to avoid the green/magenta colour cast), and certain textures avoided in the image.

Otherwise the cons point to what appears to be a carricature of a real camera. Startup time of 6 seconds? 15 seconds to write a JPG image to card? Useless above ISO400? Watercolour-like artefacts from noise reduction, and an INABILITY to turn this noise reduction off? Problems with moire? Add to that, it's an ugly camera with bad ergonomics. I think I only saw one command dial in the review.

No thanks. I'll take the 1DMk2 for the same price. It is better built, offers better all-round image quality, and MUCH MUCH faster.

I've had a long-running discussion with my Nikon friend who says that the Kodak SLR/n is superior to the 1Ds. My foot! It looks as if we have to wait a few more years before Nikon catches up with what Canon was doing back in 2002.

Oh, and if you believe this guy in dpreview there will be a replacement 1Ds in September. There is reason to believe him - I know Paul Pope from another forum we both frequent and he correctly predicted the 1DMk2, the 28-300 and the 70-300 DO IS months before they were announced. The guy is a pro photographer who test-drives cameras for Canon.

Status
Not open for further replies.