Kodak DCS Pro SLR/C

Status
Not open for further replies.

NorthernLights

Dec 17, 2002
Singapore
www.flickr.com
I have thought about this cam before. Like the colours of this cam at lower ISOs 160, 6, 25, 50 etc.

The skin tones are also more natural compared to my 5D, which is a little smooth and plastic-looking.

Called the Kodak Service Centre and they confirmed that they will honour and carry out repairing of the SLR/C till 31 Dec 2008. thereafter, they will not accept any repairs.

Looks like really dead end for Kodak's Pro series.

what has a kodak camera this got to do with canon (other than comparing with your 5D) ? :dunno:

Full frame ...Canon mount to accept canon lenses :think: ... someone toyed with the idea to get this camera as well.

what has a kodak camera this got to do with canon (other than comparing with your 5D) ? :dunno:

It is the only Canon-mount (EOS) compatible body that is fullframe and manufactured by someone else other than Canon. If you shoot the SLR/C, you can use all Canon lenses, even Tilt shift ones.

oh ? noob here. dont know about this.. :embrass:

thanks for the clarification.. :thumbsup:

Before the 5d came out, there was only the 1Ds. At $14000, very few could afford.

Then the Kodak came and cost $7K +. Still expensive but at least half price and fullframe.

Now you can still get brand new sets at certain shops at $3,800 thereabouts.

At this price, you can get the 5D. But the resolution, colour rendition at low ISOs (<320) will blow the 5D away (IMHO) and the Kodak being pro (not body materials, not splash proof as got no rubber seals) has customization functions, controls that are in the pro arena.

Frankly, I find amongst Fuji, Kodak and Canon, Canon's got the worst skin tones. Honestly, plastic.

I have used 5D, 30D and 20D. Then I borrowed a Kodak DCS SLR/c from my work place. I have used it a few times for portraits.

I'll agree with NorthernLights about the Kodak having very beautiful colours but not to extent of saying that Canon produces "plastic". Perhaps there's a bit of exaggeration there. However, I hold the opinon that the Kodak is colour-superior to any of the Canon cameras I have used. I'm also not surprised if the 1-series also don't match up to the Kodak for colour.

Actually, I'm considering to buy the Kodak cheaply from somewhere if possible. It's really beautiful.

Bear in mind, Kodak is an expert and pioneer on colour science, and like Fujifilm, they are makers of film. It is no surprise that Kodak and Fujifilm pro DSLR cameras produce colours that mainstream brands like Canon and Nikon can't.

I have used 5D, 30D and 20D. Then I borrowed a Kodak DCS SLR/c from my work place. I have used it a few times for portraits.

I'll agree with NorthernLights about the Kodak having very beautiful colours but not to extent of saying that Canon produces "plastic". Perhaps there's a bit of exaggeration there. However, I hold the opinon that the Kodak is colour-superior to any of the Canon cameras I have used. I'm also not surprised if the 1-series also don't match up to the Kodak for colour.

Actually, I'm considering to buy the Kodak cheaply from somewhere if possible. It's really beautiful.

Bear in mind, Kodak is an expert and pioneer on colour science, and like Fujifilm, they are makers of film. It is no surprise that Kodak and Fujifilm pro DSLR cameras produce colours that mainstream brands like Canon and Nikon can't.

I know there are 2 sets of Kodak, brand new, in one of the shops in Singapore. They are selling for $3800. I had wanted to buy one. But, bear in mind, that they have stopped producing spare parts and there is already a world wide stop on the sale of Kodak pro SLR/C or SLR/N cams.

I have also confirmed with the service centre that after 31 Dec 08, i.e. ON 2 Jan 09, when you bring the SLR/C to request a small fix-up somewhere, the service centre will turn you away. This is how bad the situation is. Hence, unless the cam sells at $1000, I would not even think of it.

Brand new $3800 :O
but the risk of not having spare parts... if anything breaks... then.. that's it! :(

I know there are 2 sets of Kodak, brand new, in one of the shops in Singapore. They are selling for $3800. I had wanted to buy one. But, bear in mind, that they have stopped producing spare parts and there is already a world wide stop on the sale of Kodak pro SLR/C or SLR/N cams.

I have also confirmed with the service centre that after 31 Dec 08, i.e. ON 2 Jan 09, when you bring the SLR/C to request a small fix-up somewhere, the service centre will turn you away. This is how bad the situation is. Hence, unless the cam sells at $1000, I would not even think of it.

Thanks for this information regarding its serviceability. If I do get serious about buying it, I will check to confirm this again, possibly in my side of the world.

I work in a privately-owned camera service company that is authorised to repair several brands of cameras including Kodak. We have at least 2 of these Kodak that we hire out. I could check our internal inventory on the stock of parts before committing to a purchase.

Personally, I'm not surprised that Kodak has decided on such a short after-sales service period for this camera since it didn't sell many of it. I would consider this camera an "art" type of DSLR like a Contax or Leica. It may not be as fast as a Canon or Nikon, but it has strengths not found in most other cameras.

Brand new $3800 :O
but the risk of not having spare parts... if anything breaks... then.. that's it! :(

That's what I thought.

From 26 May 07 till 31 Dec 08 is only 1.5 years. I think most of us want our cameras to last longer than 1.5 years, especially when it's a pro series, function-wise.

Imagine the simple scenario of the mirror running loose. It's a simple problem, but it renders the cam useless and you cannot even get them to do a simple thing like this, on 2 Jan 09 and after.

Serious - I have asked that question. Not even cleaning sensors, i.e. Kodak would seemingly cease to recognise the SLR/C or /n as ever in existence, to a certain extent.

in singapore, u are unfortunately limited to going back to kodak as the other shops do not have repair technicians who are skilled enough to repair the kodak as well. In the EU, US and Oz, one can probably find someone to fix it.

This is a case where buying insurance type warranties (eg. Harvey Norman 5-year extended warranty) are worth the money. If you cannot fix it, they replace it with a model of similar capabilities.

in singapore, u are unfortunately limited to going back to kodak as the other shops do not have repair technicians who are skilled enough to repair the kodak as well. In the EU, US and Oz, one can probably find someone to fix it.

With world trade being truly global as it can be nowadays (many reliable couriers i.e. Fedex, DHL, etc), what would stop us from shipping it to a repair center in OZ or US ?

in one word, cost and time. Shipping and insuring a package of that size will not come cheap and would add another 2 days minimum to your servicing time.

Status
Not open for further replies.