Kodak 200 High Definition film

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickpower

Feb 1, 2004
Jurong West
hi, i am taking nite scene. Which one is better? Kodak 200 HD or normal ISO 400/800 films......? pls advice.. i need to scan the neg to digital.

What exactly are you trying to shoot? Scenery at night or low-light indoor events/stagework?

hmm... tentage exhibitions. Some stage performance. and Open air at fort canning... tml evening to night.

Superia 800 or 1600. Slower films will not do unless you are shooting still life.

hi so wif ISO1600 films.. flash is still needed? wats the general aperture and speed? issit ard 1/60 to 1/90 and F/4 to F/6 ?

There is no way to tell unless you are at the actual venue. I'd advise bringing a flash along. If the lighting is good, you may get 1/500 at f2.8(1/125@f5.6) if the lighting is poor, it can be 1/60@f4 or less even with ISO1600.

The shots that I posted recently were taken at 1/60@f2.8 even with ISO1600.

Zerstorer said:
There is no way to tell unless you are at the actual venue. I'd advise bringing a flash along. If the lighting is good, you may get 1/500 at f2.8(1/125@f5.6) if the lighting is poor, it can be 1/60@f4 or less even with ISO1600.

The shots that I posted recently were taken at 1/60@f2.8 even with ISO1600.

did u use flash in those recent shots? cos i was thinking, if i use flash wif ISO1600 films.... will the photo look white? becos of the harsh flash?

nickpower said:
did u use flash in those recent shots? cos i was thinking, if i use flash wif ISO1600 films.... will the photo look white? becos of the harsh flash?

It will be alright if you know how to balance your flash properly. If it's stage performance, you should bring always bring a flash anyway. Cos, a not-so-nice shot is still better than no shot at all (Anyway, I think lighting engineers in SG suxx). Go for ISO 800, you can push it to 1600 if the lighting is not enuff, and you can get better grains too.

nickpower said:

All shots had flash in them.

Prismatic: The new version of xtra800s are really sharp, but the 1600 does have amazingly fine grain. IMO it's a better alternative to 800 pushed one stop in terms of both colour and grain structure.

Zerstorer said:
All shots had flash in them.

Prismatic: The new version of xtra800s are really sharp, but the 1600 does have amazingly fine grain. IMO it's a better alternative to 800 pushed one stop in terms of both colour and grain structure.

Haven't tried the 1600s yet, but the 1600 is fujipress too iszit?
Thankfully, haven't had to resort to using 1600 for my assignments yet. Despite technology these days, grains on 1600 is very bad for publishing work.

Prismatic said:
Haven't tried the 1600s yet, but the 1600 is fujipress too iszit?
Thankfully, haven't had to resort to using 1600 for my assignments yet. Despite technology these days, grains on 1600 is very bad for publishing work.

Nope Superia 1600. The Press version isn't available here. Frankly I think you should give it a try, the grain is extremely impressive, even when scanned, it has less acutance than Xtra/Press 800 which makes it a little less sharp but makes the grain roughly identical to the 800 when scanned on a frontier. I'm comparing it with the new formulation of XTRA 800 that has just been available this month.

Having shot Press 800 underexposed 1 stop quite often, I'd take the Superia 1600 over it any day. This is one film that will be in my camera bag for any concert event.

I second Zerstorer's choice of Superia 800 and 1600. :thumbsup:

Simple answer to the question is to always bring ISO 400, 800 and 1600 film along to such an event where u know the lighting is going to be challenging.

Try to over-expose by 1/3-1/2 stop if u can too if u want to reduce the graininess of such high speed film.

Use flash if the situation is that bad, like fast moving action on a poorly lit stage. Use ISO 1600 and no flash if u want to preserve the mood of the scene, like a music performance or dance.

Alternatively, shoot Ilford Delta 3200 B&W and push it to what it was designed for. EI 3200!

Hmm... maybe I should it next time when I get back. I do have a few rolls of Fujipress 1600 with me actually, bought it on my last trip to Japan.

Anyway, I would like to recommend a film myself too. If you can find it, you should try NPZ 800.I tell you, you will love the colour and contrast.

Anyway finkster, for what my pictures are used for, overexposing the film isn't an option, cos with overexposure causes loss of detail. And when the pictures are being edit, loss of details makes pictures unnecessarily contrasty.

But overexposuring is good for background detail to show up though.

I've tried 2 rolls of NPZ800, colours were good and natural with great skintones. However, its not a valid option for me since they are unavailable locally at any sane prices.

Zerstorer said:
I've tried 2 rolls of NPZ800, colours were good and natural with great skintones. However, its not a valid option for me since they are unavailable locally at any sane prices.

Ahhh.... That's because you haven't approached me yet. ;p
I've got 20 rolls sitting in my fridge back in SG.... and a few Velvia 100 ( Mind you, not 100F). And also a couple of rolls of Konica Impresa 50.

THink I can start a rare film business hahahaha....

Will wait for you to be back then.:) I'm itching to try Impresa 50....no Konica shop in singapore has it. Even finding Konica Centuria Super 800 or 1600 is a difficult task.

Zerstorer said:
Will wait for you to be back then.:) I'm itching to try Impresa 50....no Konica shop in singapore has it. Even finding Konica Centuria Super 800 or 1600 is a difficult task.

U ain't the only one itching man... :bsmilie:

finkster said:
U ain't the only one itching man... :bsmilie:
LOL.

You know...its so difficult to find any shop that has decent stock of konica. So far all the stores I've visited have Konica 100-1600 displayed...but those >400 are just empty boxes, not actual stock.

See what I mean..:)
http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=42488&highlight=konica
http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=47576&highlight=konica

I'm thinking of trying out the HD film by kodak, anyone got experiences printing that film on a fuji frontier?

Or is it recommended I do it at a kodak lab for best results?

Hiee....

I recently shot 3 rolls of High Def ISO 200.....(as a non-official church wedding photog)....

Lighting condition - mix, Flouro edges and Incandecent Bulbs indoor
high ceiling chapel.

Main Scene Contrast colors - red carpeted floor, pastel wall, main wooden seats in dark brown.

Bride/bridegroom dressing - Bridegroom in Dark blue Suite, Bride in White gown

Results:
--------

I was really amazed on the sharpness of th photos taken with this ISO 200 film.

Thanks to the camera setup - with a 70-200 f2.8 lens.....it helped to maintain background lighting (helped in minimise the need for slow sync) and maintain resonable shutter speeds for handheld. All are handheld shots with a flash at 45 degrees up-tilt and bounce card.

Exposure is balanced and surprisingly the incandescent light did not cause major color shifts...Skin tone is good (totally in the oppositer extremes from users feedback i read from internet).

Although a consumer film, its really good for a ISO 200 film. Would recommend to film users who may be tasked to do indoor shots....

Regards,
Sulhan

Status
Not open for further replies.