Kodachrome - Where to Get?

Status
Not open for further replies.

magicdragon

Feb 22, 2004
Guys,

I have recently decided it's time for me to get back to photography. And have discovered that my favourite slide/transparency film (Kodachrome) is no longer on the shelves.

Anyone seens Kodachrome lately?

Thanks

And as Paul Simon says:

When I think back on all the crap I learned in high school it’s a wonder
I can think at all and though my lack of edu---cation hasn’t hurt me none
I can read the writing on the wall

Kodachrome
They give us those nice bright colors
They give us the greens of summers
Makes you think all the world’s a sunny day, oh yeah
I got a nikon camera
I love to take a photograph
So mama don’t take my kodachrome away
If you took all the girls I knew
When I was single
And brought them all together for one night
I know they’d never match
My sweet imagination
And everything looks worse in black and white
Kodachrome
They give us those nice bright colors
They give us the greens of summers
Makes you think all the world’s a sunny day, oh yeah
I got a nikon camera
I love to take a photograph
So mama don’t take my kodachrome away

The last time I used Kodachrome was around 4 years ago, I used to get it at Ruby at Peninsula shopping centre. i haven't come across any shops stocking Kodachrome any more. Anyway you will have to mail it overseas for processing.

Yeah I used to get it from Ruby as well but they say that Kodak SG doesnt bring it in anymore.So I tought maybe someone brings it in privately.

Yes as for mailing it overseas for processing yes thats has always benn the case as it comes with a prepaid envelope for processing.

Sigh....

Hi, I have not used nor seen this slide before. Other than another processing method, is there anything that makes this slide different to what we using now?

Yes. Kodachrome is the de facto archive tansperance used for many years. Some say the clours will not shift for over 100 years! But the chemicals used environ unfriendly and need to be treated before disposal. Hence Kodak in recent time having reduced the Kodachrome family to mainly 2 speeds 64 and 200.

It's still avail in the states.

It is regarded by many as the best colour film around (debatable of course).

I like it because the colours are punchy yet still natural. And yes I have some pictures taken in the early 1980's that are still as vibrant as the day I got it back from the lab. :)

I am thinking of contacting Kodak SG to see what's the minimum order required for one speed. Say ASA/ISO 64.

Then maybe we can see how many people will be interested to try it.

it is using K-14
where can we develop it in s'pore ?

You cannot get it developed in Singapore. That's the reason I stopped shooting Kodachrome.

There used to be a website with info on processing Kodachrome into B&W, since Kodachrome is essentially B&W due to the lack of colour couplers. I miss the link now, but here's a starting point (for K-12, though).
http://lavender.fortunecity.com/lavender/569/k12bwnegdev.html

Kodachrome update:

Just spoke to Kodak Singapore (a person there of course :),

We can order Kodachrome but min quantity is 300 rolls (one box), need to wait about 2 months and need to place order thru either Ruby or Cathay.

I'm looking at the version that comes with a pre-paid processing envelope. That is all you need to do is drop the film into the provided Kodak envelope and bring it to the post office and pay between 1 -2 dollar foe mail.

2 weeks later your processed Kodakchrome comes back to you in the mail - you can opt for mounting or unmounted.

Since I cant possibily use up 300 rolls myself, is anyone else interested?

I should think price will be somwhere between S$17 and S$22 (but note this includes processing).

Kodachrome update:

Just spoke to Kodak Singapore (a person there of course :),

We can order Kodachrome but min quantity is 300 rolls (one box), need to wait about 2 months and need to place order thru either Ruby or Cathay.

I'm looking at the version that comes with a pre-paid processing envelope. That is all you need to do is drop the film into the provided Kodak envelope and bring it to the post office and pay between 1 -2 dollar foe mail.

2 weeks later your processed Kodakchrome comes back to you in the mail - you can opt for mounting or unmounted.

Since I cant possibily use up 300 rolls myself, is anyone else interested?

I should think price will be somwhere between S$17 and S$22 (but note this includes processing).

All this is tentative -- old timers will know how much better this film is.

Sorry to rebut, but I find KR64 so-so unless your lighting is spot-on. In less than ideal conditions (eg. overcast), my results came out muddy.

I think it's getting hard to find, including places like the US. Some of my friends are still die-hard KR64 shooters, and from conversations with them, it seems like the processing center is Switzerland is best in terms of speed and consistent quality (typically 2 week turnaround time even to places in Asia). Apparently the US processing time is around 3 weeks, even on film shipped from within the US.

I find that shooting E-6 (mostly Fujichromes) easier both on time, pocket and quality. I'll take a 3-hour turnaround at Fotohub anyday to 2 weeks from Switzerland :) ...

I have seen Kodachrome 64 here in Hong Kong, and I can send several rolls to one person who can distribute to others. I will check the prices with Wing Shing where I saw a few rolls.....they said to develop in Australia, but I forgot the prices.

Hong Sien

Hong Sien,

Thanks - let me know the prices - Please double check that these come with the pre-paid processing envelope. Also check expiry date. Australia stopped the processing in October 2004. Byt if you send it to them they'll send it to Switzerland.

Where is Wing Shing?

If anyone is doing a MO for Kodachrome, I would like to get some, but preferably on 120mm. If not, 35mm also can.

magicdragon said:
Hong Sien,

Thanks - let me know the prices - Please double check that these come with the pre-paid processing envelope. Also check expiry date. Australia stopped the processing in October 2004. Byt if you send it to them they'll send it to Switzerland.

Where is Wing Shing?
Wing Shing is a camera/electronics shop in Hong Kong. ............ Ok, will do. Better to send these directly to Switzerland then to save time.....I haven't seen 120 film Kodachrome however, sorry....

HS

hongsien,

My wife is going up to Hong Kong soon. Could you provide me with info on Wing Shing. Tel number, address would be fine.

She knows very little about cameras but I guess Kodachome film should be okay. Only problem is she said maximum 10 rolls okay to me. No space for all the handbags, shoes, clothes etc LOL otherwise maybe get a Leica MP with a few lenses LOL. No I cant afford Leica.

Once again thanks man.

Kodachrome IS the best slide film around.
Obviously lighting AND metering had to be spot on as in many slide film however in my memories it may be a problem when it comes to using it in the dark and compensating for reciprocity failure.

ericp said:
Sorry to rebut, but I find KR64 so-so unless your lighting is spot-on. In less than ideal conditions (eg. overcast), my results came out muddy.

I think it's getting hard to find, including places like the US. Some of my friends are still die-hard KR64 shooters, and from conversations with them, it seems like the processing center is Switzerland is best in terms of speed and consistent quality (typically 2 week turnaround time even to places in Asia). Apparently the US processing time is around 3 weeks, even on film shipped from within the US.

I find that shooting E-6 (mostly Fujichromes) easier both on time, pocket and quality. I'll take a 3-hour turnaround at Fotohub anyday to 2 weeks from Switzerland :) ...

Dennis,

Obviously I agree with your comment about Kodachrome. Actually its lack of latitude actually helps in improving the quality of the photos. It's like very truthful feedback. Make a mistake and it punishes you.

Few years ago, when I was in UK, I bought 10 rolls of "about-to-expire" Kodachrome (64 and 200) for 50 pence each. Processing Included! Managed to finish shooting and developing them before expiry for my trip to Switzerland.

Too bad I'll never get such an opportunity again....

on th e dot there.

no one will know ho it luks like until you see it.
if anyone wants to get it let me know.

i need 10 rolls.

my no. 98255742

slide-master

is this the same as the FujiFilm Chrome?
I got this function in the Fuji S5600 :think:

Status
Not open for further replies.