Ko Panyi

Status
Not open for further replies.

reaper3075

Jul 13, 2007
Jurong West
emuted.multiply.com
This picture was taken in a trip to Phuket.. visited the Muslim Fishing Village of Ko Panyi..

Pic was taken as the long tail boat was leaving the island..
loved the roofs against the clouds..

pic taken with the Sony A100 and was edited to enhance the contrast and dramatise the clouds..

would like critiques on the framing and editing techniques pls..

thanks. :D

panyi.jpg

:thumbsd: sorry.. but it does not work for me..

too many colours, each screaming for your attentions...

The Ps makes the photo look fake, and remote from the normal human senses of sight...

are you able to show the original?

for framing.. i'd prefer the (i suppose) part of the rock wall to be not included.. maybe crop it or something..

for post processing.. nope.. doesn't work for me as well.. too "dramatic" as pointed out by richliow.. looks like a super saturated painting that is messy and confusing..

I'd think if this is a cropped picture, try shifting the boats to the lower third of the picture. The space on top and below the boats doesn't work for me. Crop away the stones too, doesn't serve its purpose there.

Apart from the crop, if you intent it as a normal pic, the PP is too much...if you intent it to be a painting post feel, you have done it well.:) You can keep the workflow so that when you need such poster looking feel, you know what to do.;)

thanks for the comments.

will take note of the framing comments.. i do agree that the boats should be at the bottom and the partial mountain rock should be cropped off.

for the PP done.. i guess i got carried away with playing with HDR that it lost its sense of reality..

but then, like wat lastboltnut mentioned, the effects makes a great painting feel... ;p

HDR? You mean from a single RAW?

thanks for the comments.

will take note of the framing comments.. i do agree that the boats should be at the bottom and the partial mountain rock should be cropped off.

for the PP done.. i guess i got carried away with playing with HDR that it lost its sense of reality..

but then, like wat lastboltnut mentioned, the effects makes a great painting feel... ;p

HDR? You mean from a single RAW?

yeap ;p

took one image, adjusted the exposure thu PS, saved it as another file. made a total of 2 images with different exposures, afterwhich merged it together with the original file into HDR.

think its called fake-hdr? i dunno.. just playin around.. kinda fun though to make paintings out of these pictures. :D

Oic, thats tone mapping.

If you use Photomatix, you don't need to save 3 exposures, just open the raw and straight away you can tone map.:)

yeap ;p

took one image, adjusted the exposure thu PS, saved it as another file. made a total of 2 images with different exposures, afterwhich merged it together with the original file into HDR.

think its called fake-hdr? i dunno.. just playin around.. kinda fun though to make paintings out of these pictures. :D

Look almost like a panorama shot to me. very colourful.
Should be cropped.
Follow the standard 4'x6', 5'x7" and etc, to help you in cropping

too much happening here

while one is perfectly justified in processing it in any way he sees fit, one should also be ready to bear the comments of "artificial" look attained here. some would even call this digital art and not consider it to be a photograph. there are ways and means to achieve hdr while retaining a realistic look.

that aside, the composition needs work, as mentioned earlier there are too may elements fighting for attention, the processing further compounds this problem by introducing a riot of colors which unfortunately clash and work against each other.. the first thought i had when looking at this was smorgasbord - an entire mix of elements and colors that is overwhelming.. too overwhelming in fact.

if you ask me, you can do without the water, it doesn't attain any positive purpose here, can just crop it away and end up with panoramic crop as others have mentioned :)

This picture was taken in a trip to Phuket.. visited the Muslim Fishing Village of Ko Panyi..

Pic was taken as the long tail boat was leaving the island..
loved the roofs against the clouds..

pic taken with the Sony A100 and was edited to enhance the contrast and dramatise the clouds..

would like critiques on the framing and editing techniques pls..

thanks. :D

panyi.jpg

121tq3s.jpg

Confusing image, not clear in anyways except some good colorful roofs and painting in the Boat.

Very challenging image for me to do some corrections :) and to showcase a subject in your picture.

Personally I felt partial De saturation is a only solution for this much messy image.

I removed the unwanted rock @ BG.

hope you like this changes and now you know want i want to say :)

PCP
Chennai,India

too much happening here

while one is perfectly justified in processing it in any way he sees fit, one should also be ready to bear the comments of "artificial" look attained here. some would even call this digital art and not consider it to be a photograph. there are ways and means to achieve hdr while retaining a realistic look.

that aside, the composition needs work, as mentioned earlier there are too may elements fighting for attention, the processing further compounds this problem by introducing a riot of colors which unfortunately clash and work against each other.. the first thought i had when looking at this was smorgasbord - an entire mix of elements and colors that is overwhelming.. too overwhelming in fact.

if you ask me, you can do without the water, it doesn't attain any positive purpose here, can just crop it away and end up with panoramic crop as others have mentioned :)

i do admit that its too artificial. too colorful for some.

all comments and suggestions, good or bad, are very much appreciated as i'm merely experimenting and having fun at the same time creating these images.

yes, the composition needs alot of improvement. :embrass:

still playin around with tone mapping and HDR.. hopefully ill come up with somethin better in the near future..

thanks!

ps.. love ur hdr images.. im using dynamic-photo hdr which u introduced in the digital darkroom folder.. pretty cool.

121tq3s.jpg

Confusing image, not clear in anyways except some good colorful roofs and painting in the Boat.

Very challenging image for me to do some corrections :) and to showcase a subject in your picture.

Personally I felt partial De saturation is a only solution for this much messy image.

I removed the unwanted rock @ BG.

hope you like this changes and now you know want i want to say :)

PCP
Chennai,India

thanks! image does look better with your corrections. :)

will take this into consideration next time i try this sort of thing.. :D

thanks! image does look better with your corrections. :)

will take this into consideration next time i try this sort of thing.. :D

thank you :lovegrin:

thanks!

ps.. love ur hdr images.. im using dynamic-photo hdr which u introduced in the digital darkroom folder.. pretty cool.

thanks. you might want to consider lowering the strength down a little, then the pictures won't look to artificial

if you wish to keep it less on the overly surrealistic/digital painting look though.. some people go for it.. it's not wrong but if that's not what you want, then that's one way i guess :)

Status
Not open for further replies.