Know you way

BBTM

Nov 23, 2004
BB West
I company my friend back home and we took a bus. Upon reaching, I look at the time and I will be late for work if I wait for bus again. I saw a cab, flag it down and when the cab come to the junction, I told him "uncle, go straight"

Since then, his face change! Like not happy. Nvm that, about to reach, he told me that should turn left at junction as that is a "shorter" way, I shouldnt follow the bus route. I dont want to argue that much, I paid, get reciept n off to work.

I went to google just now. I trace my route, 4.2km. I trace his, 4.9km! So, his unhappiness is not that I take longer route, is that he can't make extra $ from his route! If there are not much stopping, my route reach office much faster!

Got once, Idk the route back home and cab driver take us to a longer way! Ended up paying a lot more and since then, I always know my way to point B most of the time. But I do close one eye and go by a longer route if that route seem "troublesome" even shorter.

Cab driver should have a good attitude, if I dont take his cab, I wondering how long his green light will be. :sticktong

When taxi stop at traffic lights, their meter will continue to count.
Sometimes, the shorter distance may not be the cheapest if there are lots of traffic lights junctions.
Same thing if there is a traffic jam.

Ya, I know. But the longer distance is mainly by the main road. If come across a red light, got to wait longer as compare to a minor road one.

Taxi drivers have this trick:

They will ask you which route you prefer. Their prepared explanation is that sometimes the passenger does not like the route that the taxi driver chose; and thus he is now asking for your preference.

But the REAL reason is that:
The taxi driver wants to know whether you are familiar with the route to your destination.
If by your answer, you reveal that you are clueless, then he knows he can RIP you off if he wants to.
There are good taxi drivers who may not do this to you. There are also bad ones.

Last edited:
Know when and where there will be a surcharge too.

One cab driver charged me additional surcharge when I going to Changi. I noticed he pressed a button and the fare become few dollar extra and he said is airport surcharge. I only remember there is surcharge travelling from Changi, and not to Changi, but I was rushing to catch my flight so money also fly.

Give and take lah....there are many ways to skin a cat and my way might not be ur preffered way.....

I drive frequently with my GPS in Singapore, there are many ways to travel from point A to point B and there are two options in the set, I.e. shortest path or quickest path, sometime both are still not able to guve me the best route since I more or less quite familiar with the surrounding and I will take the route with the most chiobus, so unless u are the taxi driver, u will never know the truth....

i took a taxi ride from Airport to Tampines for $11 (net after surcharge) - it should only have cost $7! I told off the driver and said I drove the route regularly and he had brought me on a grand tour. He just smiled sheepishly (I got a $2 discount, paid $9, the midpoint of our give-and-take negotiation). But taxi driver also making a living, if they are 'unlucky' to get a short route passenger from airport after 2hr of queue, $11 over 3hrs is ...not enough (but doesn't justify overcharging me!)

Give and take lah....there are many ways to skin a cat and my way might not be ur preffered way.....

I drive frequently with my GPS in Singapore, there are many ways to travel from point A to point B and there are two options in the set, I.e. shortest path or quickest path, sometime both are still not able to guve me the best route since I more or less quite familiar with the surrounding and I will take the route with the most chiobus, so unless u are the taxi driver, u will never know the truth....

GPS can set 'attractive scenery' option? Unless you know which parts of town has attractive people...?

i took a taxi ride from Airport to Tampines for $11 (net after surcharge) - it should only have cost $7! I told off the driver and said I drove the route regularly and he had brought me on a grand tour. He just smiled sheepishly (I got a $2 discount, paid $9, the midpoint of our give-and-take negotiation). But taxi driver also making a living, if they are 'unlucky' to get a short route passenger from airport after 2hr of queue, $11 over 3hrs is ...not enough (but doesn't justify overcharging me!)

Tell them you want go to Terminal 2, from Terminal 1...

Taxi operators such as NTUC Comfort can petition PTC to impose new surcharge. This is called the "Too near to airport surcharge" and costs an extra $5.

there were two consecutive days that i had to cab back home from Orchard Road. FYI i stay in the AMK-Bishan-Toa Payoh-Yishun-Thomson-Braddell vicinity.

well, it could've been my fault that i don't look like a Singaporean and i definitely don't talk like one. i told both cab drivers to take the Scotts-Marymount route.

the first cab driver went via scotts road, then after Newton MRT attempted to turn into Bukit Timah road at the red light. i asked him why he was turning and he said "this is the quickest way to get to your destination, faster than going by Marymount". ok. so i was pissed off. i told him not to take me for a fool and that i'm a Singaporean. and i told him that the route will be longer and even more expensive. he kept apologizing after that and became a human GPS that told me when he's turning or when he's stopping at a traffic light.

the second cab driver attempted to take me on a grand tour via Stevens Road, then turned into Bukit Timah Road. unlike the first cab driver, this guy just sped in. i asked him why he did that and he told me that going by Bukit Timah Road, it would be faster to get to Marymount road. so i told him off for lying and showed him my Singapore Driving License. and told him that he better make a U-turn or else i would call in and complain. and just like the first cab driver, he became a human GPS :bsmilie:

so cab drivers... if you attempt to take me on a grand tour... you're just asking for it...

BTW, the first cabby was from Comfort and the second was Premier Taxi

Last edited:
Singaporeans, where is Albert Winsemius Lane ?

P.S. Albert Winsemius (1910–1996) is a Dutch economist.

Last week I got a taxi from the airport to city, the driver charged me $45 but the receipt only said $35 when he left!
I think he doesn't include the toll road charge on the receipt :(

Taxi drivers have this trick:

They will ask you which route you prefer. Their prepared explanation is that sometimes the passenger does not like the route that the taxi driver chose; and thus he is now asking for your preference.

But the REAL reason is that:
The taxi driver wants to know whether you are familiar with the route to your destination.
If by your answer, you reveal that you are clueless, then he knows he can RIP you off if he wants to.
There are good taxi drivers who may not do this to you. There are also bad ones.

What a taxi driver wants is to keep driving.

What a passenger wants is to stop.

:bsmilie:

When I trace my route at google map, it's give me a longer route. So, I was wondering, in car GPS good enough to give you a shorter one? :think:

Well, the shortest route might not be the fastest or the cheapest route. This is especially so during peak hours when certain routes are so very jammed up and takes you a long time.

Very often, I take the road less travelled and the drive is smoother and less traffic and arrive somewhat faster, but in terms of mileage, a wee bit more la.

Get on a taxi and say "I have only 20 dollars with me now. Take me by the shortest route or I will not be able to pay you" xD

Give taxi uncle a break if you are on official trip. They are feeding a family as well. Sometime, I go buy thing at mama shop even though it is more expensive than big supermarket.