Know nuts and need help to buy digi cam

Status
Not open for further replies.

acb

Mar 21, 2006
Hi, I'm know nuts :confused: about photography, but i'm interested in getting a digital cam.:thumbsup:

Any advice?:think:

budget of 600 - 700 and considering some of these cams below:
- Digital Ixus 60
- Olympius SP-700
- Olympius u 700
- Nikon Coolpix S5
- FinePiz Z2
- Pentax Optio A10

any other cameras suitable 4 beginners?

acb said:
Hi, I'm know nuts :confused: about photography, but i'm interested in getting a digital cam.:thumbsup:

Any advice?:think:

budget of 600 - 700 and considering some of these cams below:
- Digital Ixus 60
- Olympius SP-700
- Olympius u 700
- Nikon Coolpix S5
- FinePiz Z2
- Pentax Optio A10

any other cameras suitable 4 beginners?
When you are really prepared to buy at least one of them, go to a shop that carry them all and tell the salesman that you want to buy and let you try them. first just try the feel, if it doesn't feel right, then drop it, start to eliminate until you arrive at 2 of them, then shoot with them and see which one you prefer, AND THEN BUY, otherwise the salesman will remember you forever!! All of them are reputable brands and you shouldn't go wrong with either of them. Now the technology has come to a point where it's hard to tell if one is better than another because all the brands in the list would have almost caught up with one another.

It would also help if you bring along a friend who knows something so that chances of you succumbing to 'salesman talk' are minimised.

lsisaxon said:
first just try the feel, if it doesn't feel right, then drop it,

He might take the dropping part seriously :bsmilie:

On a serious note, yeah ... go get a feel of it, maybe read up some online reviews before deciding.

ndroo said:
He might take the dropping part seriously :bsmilie:

On a serious note, yeah ... go get a feel of it, maybe read up some online reviews before deciding.
Ok ok.. not that physical dropping it.. If you really drop it, you probably will be forced to make the choice and won't need to browse through the rest of them anymore.. :)

Whatever it is, don't get pressured into getting something that you may not want!

Take your time in deciding :)

Haha since you know nuts about photography any of the cameras listed will do. There are no bad cameras... only bad photographers.

Anyway just because everyone says XXX is gd doesn't mean its right for you. Furthermore you've given no criteria, or stated which features are important to you. So essentially any recommendation given is what the person commenting likes, which could be worthless to you.

Thanks for all the advice.

I'm wondering if a digi cam that has those different "modes" thingy a gd try for a beginner?

For a beginner, it's a welcome but I would choose a model that also provides (A)perture, (S)hutter, (P)rogram & (M)anual modes on top of those Scene modes so that it's there when you are ready to take the next step but yet have not decided to go on to a DSLR.

lsisaxon said:
When you are really prepared to buy at least one of them, go to a shop that carry them all and tell the salesman that you want to buy and let you try them. first just try the feel, if it doesn't feel right, then drop it, start to eliminate until you arrive at 2 of them, then shoot with them and see which one you prefer, AND THEN BUY, otherwise the salesman will remember you forever!! All of them are reputable brands and you shouldn't go wrong with either of them. Now the technology has come to a point where it's hard to tell if one is better than another because all the brands in the list would have almost caught up with one another.

im not if its only just me or some other do also feel this...

im feel quite shy to actually test cameras out at shops, but eventually i told myself no choice, i went to test 1 of the few i wanted to try and left because the sales man gave me weird looks and look impatient when i asked a few questions..

anyone can recommend me and also maybe the thread starter on which shop has good sales man in general? so we can test out / have a feel of the cameras before buying?

erik said:
im not if its only just me or some other do also feel this...

im feel quite shy to actually test cameras out at shops, but eventually i told myself no choice, i went to test 1 of the few i wanted to try and left because the sales man gave me weird looks and look impatient when i asked a few questions..

anyone can recommend me and also maybe the thread starter on which shop has good sales man in general? so we can test out / have a feel of the cameras before buying?

ok bro tink i also same la.. abit paiseh to test cams but no choice la..u live in amk so u try mscolor in amk central lor :) .. mscolor.com.sg for more info.
salesmen not bad.. at least let me fiddle n touch the cams b4 making a decision.. Patient with my newbie questions .. :D . No funny faces pointed at u too..
So go and try that shop if ur free :>

newbiegrapher said:
ok bro tink i also same la.. abit paiseh to test cams but no choice la..u live in amk so u try mscolor in amk central lor :) .. mscolor.com.sg for more info.
salesmen not bad.. at least let me fiddle n touch the cams b4 making a decision.. Patient with my newbie questions .. :D . No funny faces pointed at u too..
So go and try that shop if ur free :>

thanks! :thumbsup: i'll go try 1 day. hehe.. am still making my decision on a cam

Status
Not open for further replies.