Know any place selling USB vga card?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mpenza

Jan 18, 2002
Singapore
www.instagram.com
Or rather, a USB VGA adaptor. Thought of adding an additional monitor to a laptop for additional screen space. Anyone knows of a good one selling in Singapore? Will need one that works with vista.

it would be great if i could have 3 extended desktops via that!

I saw a similar product at Comex last week, but cannot remember which company or the price :dunno:. Initially, I thought it was interesting, but on further thought, this is probably of less interest to desktop users, since they can get display cards with dual monitor outputs. More use for notebook users.

thanks.... went funan yesterday and can't seem to find :(

yup, for PCs it's easier and cheaper to add a graphics card. going to use in on a laptop-like PC that doesn't come with vga port.

Just want to point out that you should check the resolution and bit depth you want to use before plunging in. USB2.0 maxes out at 480Mbit/s, and that translates to very limited settings for the video. Width*Height*Bitdepth/8*RefreshRate < 60 (mbyte/s). 1280x1024@32bit, 60Hz is already 300mbytes/s, way out of usb spec.

interesting calculation :) but think there might be some lossless compression though which will reduce the "bandwidth".

looking for something that could display 1280x1024x16bit only. nothing more :)

Just want to point out that you should check the resolution and bit depth you want to use before plunging in. USB2.0 maxes out at 480Mbit/s, and that translates to very limited settings for the video. Width*Height*Bitdepth/8*RefreshRate < 60 (mbyte/s). 1280x1024@32bit, 60Hz is already 300mbytes/s, way out of usb spec.

I fully agree with ST1100, I wanted to answer exactly that when I see the title. It sound very unbelieveable, not all laptops has USB2.0. Even if this device does function, I very doubt that the CPU has anymore resources left to execute the rest of the applications...

think direct3d and other 3d stuff are not supported via the usb vga adaptor. for surfing net, office applications, it shd do fine :) wanted to add one more monitor for bloomberg access ;p

Status
Not open for further replies.