Knives

Status
Not open for further replies.

seanlim

Oct 28, 2005
NEL
I have about S$300 dollars. Anyone can recommend me where i can find good knives? Would appreciate recommendation of the brand. Don't bother asking me to spend my money elsewhere, i have decided to buy a knife with it.

I am looking more a chef's knife. i.e >20cm or sth:D

Hi seanlim

I'm into knives, if u looking for a good chef knife and have the money get global knives. If u have a budget, go for the henckels. Have them, used and abused them still hold their edge :thumbsup:

Anthony Bourdian said GLOBAL is good in his book.

I use Henckels and they are excellent. Don't buy the cheaper made in China model. I did and regretted. I had to buy again, the 4 star models. You can go and buy the 4 star or 5 star models. Pay a bit more. Those knives will likely outlive you.

Most celebrity chefs are paid, or charge a fee to mention a brand. They know their 'word' has a lot of influence, and so do the manufacturers, so you can almost be entirely certain that whatever a celeb chef says about equipment brands has $$$ motives behind it - lots of it.

As for the knives themselves, I suggest you do some research and find out about their actual manucturing process, and the differences between material choices and tempering, and why manufacturers make their choices as such. Remember, the world of luxury knives is as much about marketing hype and mark-ups as the world of photography!

As for the loong storey, I PM you.

CHEERS!

are they meant for slicing?

try pantry magic at chip bee?

yepp! i was thinking of going down there tomorrow! xD the prices there should be reasonable?

Guys, how about temple street? I went to the few chinatown stalls. Supposedly, hotels and high end buy from them.

Hi seanlim

I'm into knives, if u looking for a good chef knife and have the money get global knives. If u have a budget, go for the henckels. Have them, used and abused them still hold their edge :thumbsup:

How much a are GLOBAL knives? They have these holes in the handle...will grow bacteria? heehee. I do remember them sold at Tangs. Anyway, does the markings along the blade mean anything? like http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:F4032.jpg = )

Global knives are great, but they belong to the asian style of knives rather than the western style of knives. The main difference is that the asian knives are thinner cross-section wise, which give advantage when you need finer detail cuts but get blunt easier if you use it to hack and chop (that is when a chopper/chinese cleaver would be better). My dad cooked all his dishes for >30 years using a single style knife: a chinese chopper/cleaver :sweat:. The scalloped surface (known as a granton edge) in your picture was supposed to reduce contact between material and knife and prevent or at least, reduce the material sticking to the knives when being cut.

Global knives are top knotch :thumbsup: Henckel or the various branded onces are good as well. You can search online for recommendations. I'm currently using Henckel knives for day to day (can't afford Global :sweat:) though I have a set of non-metal bladed knives; one black, one white ;).

Get the set instead of individual knives as they are cheaper. Chef knife (8" ~ 20cm) and a utility knife is what most would need; I believe they have a set on that. There is also a 3-knife set but it is more ex. Don't forget to spend a little on a knife block to hold the knives properly else you will blunt them.

For a list of kitchen knives, see here

Oh, which are the made in China models?

I use Henckels and they are excellent. Don't buy the cheaper made in China model. I did and regretted. I had to buy again, the 4 star models. You can go and buy the 4 star or 5 star models. Pay a bit more. Those knives will likely outlive you.

Global knives are great, but they belong to the asian style of knives rather than the western style of knives. The main difference is that the asian knives are thinner cross-section wise, which give advantage when you need finer detail cuts but get blunt easier if you use it to hack and chop (that is when a chopper/chinese cleaver would be better). My dad cooked all his dishes for >30 years using a single style knife: a chinese chopper/cleaver :sweat:. The scalloped surface (known as a granton edge) in your picture was supposed to reduce contact between material and knife and prevent or at least, reduce the material sticking to the knives when being cut.

Global knives are top knotch :thumbsup: Henckel or the various branded onces are good as well. You can search online for recommendations. I'm currently using Henckel knives for day to day (can't afford Global :sweat:) though I have a set of non-metal bladed knives; one black, one white ;).

Get the set instead of individual knives as they are cheaper. Chef knife (8" ~ 20cm) and a utility knife is what most would need; I believe they have a set on that. There is also a 3-knife set but it is more ex. Don't forget to spend a little on a knife block to hold the knives properly else you will blunt them.

For a list of kitchen knives, see here

:thumbsup: THANKS! esp on the point of the scalloped edge. anyway, i would most probably be using it for chopping veg like onions, spirng onions coriander and mainy seafood like lobster and prawns. hmm i'm pretty decided on GLOBAL would go down to tangs tomorrow.! Oh and would ceramics one break? looks damn brittle. i saw them at liang court before.

ceramic blades are pretty damm sharp and durable.
has better cutting edge life and more resistance to corrosion
but not recommended for impact cutting e.g. chopping.

:thumbsup: THANKS! esp on the point of the scalloped edge. anyway, i would most probably be using it for chopping veg like onions, spirng onions coriander and mainy seafood like lobster and prawns. hmm i'm pretty decided on GLOBAL would go down to tangs tomorrow.! Oh and would ceramics one break? looks damn brittle. i saw them at liang court before.

Ceramics are fancy knives( they say no need to sharpen), they cut using friction.. just don't drop them on the floor la :). Priced abt the same as Global. Your usage is pretty general so get something abt 8 inches will do nicely. If i remember, they have a chef knife and a paring knife set which fall in your budget range. Here is a link for more info- www.globalknives.com.sg. Enjoy them and treat them well, they will give you many years of service like mine

Zwilling knives are :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

275 years of experience. Who can beat that???

I saw some at Taka.

Ceramics are fancy knives( they say no need to sharpen), they cut using friction.. just don't drop them on the floor la :). Priced abt the same as Global. Your usage is pretty general so get something abt 8 inches will do nicely. If i remember, they have a chef knife and a paring knife set which fall in your budget range. Here is a link for more info- www.globalknives.com.sg. Enjoy them and treat them well, they will give you many years of service like mine

i beg to differ on the fancy knives bit.
ceramic knives are definitely not fancy knives.
in fact, under the right use, i have done better slices of fish with a kyocera 6inch then a henckels 4star 6inch.

the only issues ppl have with ceramics are that it's typically more expensive with limited variety and that the handling, care and usage of it is not as flexible. think of it like a typical sashimi knife.... no good sashimi chef would anyhow use theirs to slice and dice

:thumbsup: hmm i'm pretty decided on GLOBAL would go down to tangs tomorrow.! Oh and would ceramics one break? looks damn brittle. i saw them at liang court before.

Chef's knife Global at Tang's $256. now got 20% discount.
Just went today.I did not buy it.
FYI Global is made in Japan. But good steel.

My knives are Henckels and WMF, Made in Germany.

I am using the same as yours. WMF and Henckels.

GLOBAL knives are good too but best is to feel the knife handles as well. Not just the blades which are important but the handle helps to make a decision. You need to feel comfortable when cutting. Everyone's hands is different size.

:) hmm when big sale got better price? P.S my mum said WMF knives aint that hardy.

I am using the same as yours. WMF and Henckels.

GLOBAL knives are good too but best is to feel the knife handles as well. Not just the blades which are important but the handle helps to make a decision. You need to feel comfortable when cutting. Everyone's hands is different size.

I hold that i can hold the handles and do a pretend chopping action. however, haha sales people tend to underestimate youths. sometimes, they give that "eh-young-boy-can-afford-wmf-meh" look....sigh. i'm only 15 btw.

Status
Not open for further replies.