KM5D users..Need help with how to trigger studio flashes

Status
Not open for further replies.

rOnGrEn

Jan 8, 2005
Hougang
hiieez people...need some help here... :)

today was my first time stepping into a studio ... attended a few-hours studio lighting workshop...so really a complete newbie...After setting up the studio strobes, i realised i have nothing to trigger off the flashes. IR trigger and RF triggers were available but these fit only the nikons n canons, and couldnt fit my Konica minolta 5d's hotshoe. (the KM hotshoe is quite different from the rest). No PC sync cords were available. Tried to use my on-camera flash to trigger the studio strobes. The studio strobes did light up, but the pictures turned out as if no flash was used. Tried all the modes available on my camera (fill-flash, red eye, rear sync, wireless) but the result is still the same. Mode used was manual, at 1/125s, iso 100, and the studio flashes' power output were adjusted using light meter to the desired aperture.

My questions are:
1) Without any IR and RF trigger that can fit onto the KM flash hotshoe, how do you guys trigger off the studio strobes?

Are there "adapters" or sort to use with the IR and RF triggers? or are there IR and RF triggers that can fit onto the "unique" Konica minolta flash mount?

2) If my on-camera flashes did trigger off the studio strobes, what have i done wrong or what could i have done to get a "correct" exposure with the studio strobes?

ended up with zero shots for the day.. haha...so really appreciate any form of advice so that this wun happen again the next time i step into a studio. thanx people!! :)

Hi. If i'm not wrong, the 5D does not have a Manual mode for flash (i.e where you can set your flash power to 1/1,1/2 etc.)

The 5D uses a preflash to meter the light to determine the correct flash exposure as flash metering during the actual exposure itself is impossible with CCD sensors (I miss of-the-film metering of my Dynax 5) due to certain technicalities.

I think your studio flashes are being fooled by the preflash into firing prematurely, and hence they fire during the preflash and not during the exposure itself. That's why you pics that look underexposed. Solution would be to purchase an accessory which fits on to the hotshoe and has a PC synch output.

Alternatively, you can use the two-second timer or a longer exposure with rear-synch so that the preflash fires two seconds b4, and the flash has time to recharge before the actual exposure itself. Just be sure to tell the model that the first flash is fake.

Hope this helps!
QX =)

For the 5D, you'll need a hotshope adaptor. You can get this from B&H. Astin, member of Clubsnap used to have 1, so you can check if he still has it or not.

Alternatively, you can ask people from John 3:16 or other similar shops to import them for you, but you may have to wait for weeks for it.

Folks using D7 has a separate PC cord so no problem with switching on studio strobes.

Finally, you can also use your accessory flash to turn the strobes on, but of course, you'll have to direct your flash away from the subject to prevent overexposure.

you will need a FS-1100... some say KMSC got stock... dunno true anot...

let me tell u the truth.. i went...

CP, MS, J3:16, TK, AP, BC, u name it, i might be there... all no stock or dun even know what the hell is it... oh ya... i even went bangkok to ask... if u can see 1 at KMSC, dun wait, just grab... if u can see 1 on BH, go pickpocket a person with credit card & get it...

hi people.. thanx a lot for the replies

saw the fs1100 on BH..
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...ls&Q=&sku=35698&is=REG&addedTroughType=search
$29.95, and additional $26.25 for shipping.. before currency conversion.. dats quite a lot of $$$...
so this adapter fits onto the 5d's hotshoe and allows the "normal" IR or RF triggers to be used?

hi timberwolf =) .. i guess the " an accessory which fits on to the hotshoe and has a PC synch output" you referring to would be this one? Konica Minolta PCT-100
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...180&is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation
wah.. this one more xiong... $89.95 .... haha... oh no....

hmmz.. don't know when i will step into a studio again but will definitely like to try it someday.... the 2s timer sounds like a feasible solution that don't cost anything if the studio flash can recharge in time...haha =)

i tried to use my 3600hsd to fire off the studio strobes in fill-flash mode.. and cant seem to work also... anyone of you had any "success" using the 3600/5600 to trigger off the studio strobes?

or any 5d users here that shoot studio care to share how you normally trigger off the studio strobes? :)

Any flash that can be put into manual flash mode will be able to trigger the studio strobe successfully.

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
you will need a FS-1100... some say KMSC got stock... dunno true anot...

let me tell u the truth.. i went...

CP, MS, J3:16, TK, AP, BC, u name it, i might be there... all no stock or dun even know what the hell is it... oh ya... i even went bangkok to ask... if u can see 1 at KMSC, dun wait, just grab... if u can see 1 on BH, go pickpocket a person with credit card & get it...

Sulhan said AP has stock for FS-1100. Go! Go! Go! :bsmilie:

deslim27 said:
Sulhan said AP has stock for FS-1100. Go! Go! Go! :bsmilie:

went AP at SLS, they tell me, FS-1100, minolta? We dun have minolta accessories...

went AP at Funan, they tell me, FS-1100, dun have... (dun think he even know wats a FS-1100...)

Do you have an external flash? 3600hs or 5600hs?

You can't use your built-in flash to trigger the studio flash, because your camera will read the reading from your flash instead of the studio flash.

What you need to do is to use 3600hs or 5600hs as the trigger.

Set your camera exposure (in "M" mode) to studio strobe setting (ie, f16 @ 1/125 or as given), then put your 3600hs or 5600hs flash on the flash shoe and set your flash into manual mode, set the flash into the lowest power possible.

Then when your camera will tell you that you are way under... but in matter of fact, if the setting on your camera is correct to the studio strobe you will get perfect exposure.

The idea here is to use your flash as wireless trigger.

I prefer to work off wireless as well, I hate cable.

I am using 7D and 5600hs to trigger bowen flashes.

Hope you understand what I am saying...

Good luck

Hart

rOnGrEn said:
hiieez people...need some help here... :)

today was my first time stepping into a studio ... attended a few-hours studio lighting workshop...so really a complete newbie...After setting up the studio strobes, i realised i have nothing to trigger off the flashes. IR trigger and RF triggers were available but these fit only the nikons n canons, and couldnt fit my Konica minolta 5d's hotshoe. (the KM hotshoe is quite different from the rest). No PC sync cords were available. Tried to use my on-camera flash to trigger the studio strobes. The studio strobes did light up, but the pictures turned out as if no flash was used. Tried all the modes available on my camera (fill-flash, red eye, rear sync, wireless) but the result is still the same. Mode used was manual, at 1/125s, iso 100, and the studio flashes' power output were adjusted using light meter to the desired aperture.

My questions are:
1) Without any IR and RF trigger that can fit onto the KM flash hotshoe, how do you guys trigger off the studio strobes?

Are there "adapters" or sort to use with the IR and RF triggers? or are there IR and RF triggers that can fit onto the "unique" Konica minolta flash mount?

2) If my on-camera flashes did trigger off the studio strobes, what have i done wrong or what could i have done to get a "correct" exposure with the studio strobes?

ended up with zero shots for the day.. haha...so really appreciate any form of advice so that this wun happen again the next time i step into a studio. thanx people!! :)

Agetan said:

You can't use your built-in flash to trigger the studio flash, because your camera will read the reading from your flash instead of the studio flash.

Set your camera exposure (in "M" mode) to studio strobe setting (ie, f16 @ 1/125 or as given), then put your 3600hs or 5600hs flash on the flash shoe and set your flash into manual mode, set the flash into the lowest power possible.

Then when your camera will tell you that you are way under... but in matter of fact, if the setting on your camera is correct to the studio strobe you will get perfect exposure.

Good luck

Hart

bro... not sure about the 5D. but i have got a different concept from yours.

suppose say you are using in studio environment, there should be a light meter around, so the light meter will tell you the exposure to use already, no point guessing... set to M mode with the acquired reading.

basically, you still can use the built in flash to trigger, at least on my 7D... just hate the unwanted direct hotspot on reflective surface. anyway, you can go to your flash setting (really never use before 5D) you can set ADI, TTL or Manual, chose manual. and then set to 1/16 (i think thats the lowest)

reason is, ADI will give a harsh flash and also darken the picture unknowingly (for god knows what reason), TTL have a preflash which activate the studio flash before the actual one is needed.

anyway, i only use RF wireless, simpler to use...

Hiee..

Used PC cord on the 7D....for studio in studio. No Prob.
For 5 D ....need the adapter. If interested we can do an MO...for these type of specific
flash related items....

I did made a branch out PC cord setup which have yet to be tried again (tried b4 okay) for use on cameras that do not have PC cord socket. Worst comes to worst...i can pass you the fs-1100 to use with the studio's wireles trigger.

rgds,
sulhan

Agetan said:

Good luck

Hart

hi hart... thanx for the reply =)

yup..understand what you are saying... what we did was about the same too... camera set to "M" mode @ 1/125 and (f11 or f16 by varying the flash output and reading obtained from light meter). The problem was not so much of about getting the right aperture n shutter speed (because like dca said, reading was obtained from the light meter), but rather how to get the camera to trigger off the studio flash "at the right time".

Now starting to realise the limitations of the 3600 hsd. Seems like the flash cant be set to manual mode, (someone please correct me if i am wrong) and so the preflashes are still fired by the 3600hsd, triggering off the studio strobes prematurely. The 5d also cant be set to manual flash as the only control options available are ADI flash and Pre-flash TTL, both of which also triggers off the studio strobes prematurely.

Zerstorer said:
Any flash that can be put into manual flash mode will be able to trigger the studio strobe successfully.

so maybe another option would be to get a small and cheap flash that can be set to manual mode?

anyway... from this thread http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=166116 , someone suggested that the small flash can also be converted into a IR trigger by putting unexposed-but processed slide film over it. cool..more options available now. :bsmilie:

someone pass me a 5D & a 3600...

anyway, from what i know, manual functions are primary feature of all external flash. i think 3600 should have that...

when the next KM outing? we organise 1 studio shoot for minolta users... i think Sulhan & Drudkh will sponsor... i'll bring my FS-1100 ;p

sulhan said:
Hiee..

Used PC cord on the 7D....for studio in studio. No Prob.
For 5 D ....need the adapter. If interested we can do an MO...for these type of specific
flash related items....

I did made a branch out PC cord setup which have yet to be tried again (tried b4 okay) for use on cameras that do not have PC cord socket. Worst comes to worst...i can pass you the fs-1100 to use with the studio's wireles trigger.

rgds,
sulhan

hi sulhan... an MO would be great!! anyone nice enough to start it?? Thanx for the offer to lend me the fs1100... but no need for the time being i guess.. wont be shooting in a studio again soon =)
i shall start scouting around for the fs-1100 myself first if i am going to use it quite often. Will update here if i find it anywhere in the shops. =)

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
went AP at SLS, they tell me, FS-1100, minolta? We dun have minolta accessories...

went AP at Funan, they tell me, FS-1100, dun have... (dun think he even know wats a FS-1100...)

Bought FS-1100 two week ago at AP SimLim. Still saw they have quite a few left.

I bought it from Steven.

doUbleCHIN said:
Bought FS-1100 two week ago at AP SimLim. Still saw they have quite a few left.

I bought it from Steven.

Already bought the fs1100 thanx to sulhan. Hi doublechin.. thanx for the info also! ;) Someone else also pmed me saying AP at SLS has it. So.. people looking for the fs1100 can try out AP at SLS!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.