KL safe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jer76

Apr 21, 2002
West
Will be going to KL for a one week trip wonder if its safe to bring my DSLR with grip n big lens there? Will it attract unwanted attention? Or should i just stick to a film P & S :dunno:

Jer76 said:
Will be going to KL for a one week trip wonder if its safe to bring my DSLR with grip n big lens there? Will it attract unwanted attention? Or should i just stick to a film P & S :dunno:

its relatively safe lah...been working in KL for 2 years now..carrying my mamoth bag ard with digicam, batts, memories, PDA...e works...so far no mishaps... just avoid dingy alleys and u should be fine :D

unless u're aiming for those artistic people-less night shots ...than i suggest bringing a fren along? :sweat:

but overall its a friendly and warm place with plenty of picture worthy moments ;)

Thanks Kel, nice to hear that. 1st time go so abit unsure :)

Funny you asked this question, as I just asked a similar one here -- http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=124682

KL is quite alright & is 'tourist friendly'. You should be able to go around unharassed with your equipment. But avoid dark secluded places at night though -- but this is common sense wherever you are.

Sion said:
Which hotel are you staying? And what room number?

haha... someone is thinking of a big plan now.....

btw.. other then your hotel and room number... when is your check in check out date also har ?? :sticktong

just joking... :bsmilie:
not sure with KL, but has gone to back alley with a friend who uses a dSLR in JB, and havnt have any problem before... Just stick to a friend or more and it should be fine...

well as long you are careful you are ok.
if you are not careful, everywhere is "not safe" :bsmilie:

Major tourist spots are ok......when walking with gears, just be extra careful....beware of snatch thief.....my advice is go as light as possible to give yourself some flexibility :thumbsup:

Sion said:

i will be there 15th -20th april with a canon 10D....hehehehehehehe Sion wanna join me? =D

sbs99 said:
i will be there 15th -20th april with a canon 10D....hehehehehehehe Sion wanna join me? =D

I'll be there few days earlier than you, hope it won't rain as much like here.

SOP. Carry ur gear, but not be overly flashy wif ur stuff.

Look poor, blend in with the local population is da key to a safe trip :)

jsbn said:
SOP. Carry ur gear, but not be overly flashy wif ur stuff.

Look poor, blend in with the local population is da key to a safe trip :)

Halo......it's ok lar......

Just like everyone mentioned.......avoid dark areas as even the locals do not go to that kinda of places. Rest assure that nothing will happend to you. I am from KL......so I know....

Places like Chow Kit Road/Petaling Street, Pudu Raya(Bus Station) is not good to go during night time. Cheras is another place you should avoid. Hmmm......any outskirts should be avoid during night time. Day time is definately fine. Just don't try to shoot those Ah Bengs/Ah Sengs or their Ah Lians.......seraious! You will get some unwanted attention from them. So avoid that. Other than that, everywhere which has big shopping complexes is fine.

The only thing with carrying big flashy equipments is the security guards may ask you a few questions about your Big MAMA in shopping areas which has plenty of tourist like the KLCC Twin Tower.

Da place is quite ok, but da traffic, methinks, is absolutely horrible.

Da last time I went there, morning go out, evening come back. Use tissue paper wipe face, white tissue paper become grey. Sian 1/2 man.

Penang not so bad (although its a little stinky along da beachfront).

I feel safe walking alone in KL city (but not JB) day/nite time.

It's good to follow the local advice - " Pro Image" and avoid those places he mentioned. Btw, if you are too flashy, people will "target" you anywhere in the world, even in Singapore.

Enjoy you KL trip. :D

Sion said:

In addition could you tell us which big lens are you thinking of bringing to KL and what's its market value?

We also like to have a big flash which is in big demand in underground market. Can you also bring some 1 gig CF cards too? We've already have "clients" asking for them. The trouble is we can't get our hands on them fast enough.

Have a nice trip and of course THANKS!

By the way, what's the condition of your camera bag? You should know that we won't touch anything old. :sweatsm:

Status
Not open for further replies.