Kites

Status
Not open for further replies.

neeker

Dec 2, 2009
1. In what area is critique to be sought?
Composition
Grainy film effect - good or bad?
Overall mood/ feel of photo

2. What one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
I want to show how removing colors in a photo can change a bunch of vibrant objects (i.e., the kites) into something moody/ eerie, like, aliens landing on Earth.

3. Under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
It's a random shot with my Oly E-620 at Marina Barrage. I was using the "Grainy Film" Art Filter to achieve the "newspaper" effect.

4. What the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
I'd prefer the kites to be less randomly spaced, but I can't control how people fly their kites. Need to improve on my composition, I think.

Thanks for your time.

framed_mb_800_08.jpg

If there are more kites and/or if they are nearer, the eerie effect may be more significant. But i know it's not easy to even shoot this photo. Was it a cloudy day? Can try shooting with the sun behind you. Then can prolong the exposure to create a trail at the end of each kite to show movements, maybe that will solve the problem of the kites being too widely spaced. Random is good. Then you can change to black and white and maybe invert the black and white colour?

What are you trying to portray? Looks like you have a dirty lens, rather than a picture. :)

What is the subject? What do you want people to see?

urm... if the aim is to create a creepy image... then TS succeeded...
a bit hard to tell the subject here

This does look creepy, like squid and octupus flying in the sky.

Wondering what it would have been like, shooting with a longer lens rather than a wide angle, thus trying to compress the distance between the kites (of course you would not have been able to get that many kites in the photo)...

Alternatively: User a pocket camera with a remote control and attach it on one of those kites that you need to use both hands to fly (sorry no idea what they call them). Now that would have been a different prospective.

Feel wise: I like the b&w conversion (though I have no idea about the technicalities).
Content wise: I see that it was a good day... the squid was up - he does take a while to get it up in the air, doesn't he? :)

-- marios

What are you trying to portray? Looks like you have a dirty lens, rather than a picture. :)

What is the subject? What do you want people to see?

1. In what area is critique to be sought?
Composition
Grainy film effect - good or bad?
Overall mood/ feel of photo

2. What one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
I want to show how removing colors in a photo can change a bunch of vibrant objects (i.e., the kites) into something moody/ eerie, like, aliens landing on Earth.

learn to read? :rolleyes:

I think a color shot with a filter will be better. Agree with some here that they looked like sotongs and cuttlefish or cuttlefishs and sotongs.

seem like underwater shot with all the squid and stringray. LOL.

look like end of the world where flying sotong and stringray taking over ...

(maybe its their revenge for the loved one who went into our stomach :sticktong)

first, i like the grainy picture... however, if there is a or a few prominent kites as your subject, it should enhance your image... :D keep shooting

So this is how the sky will look when there is an alien invasion....

interesting graininess...

Thanks for the feedback and comments. Seems like some like the grain while others don't. Having prominent kites as foreground and other ones behind sounds like an idea. Will try to do it if I go to Marina Barrage again.

Once again, thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.