Kite Festival WB exposure setting

PhilipKr35

Jul 17, 2011
Yew Tee
Any advise on how to shoot at this weekend Kite Festival appreciated, I am concerned about getting right WB for shoot and shadows under the kite facing camera with bckground hazy sky. My current view of setting :
Kr
WB outdoor
Point focus
Av f8 in Sigma70-300 ; DA15 f4
Shoot flying kites lying down on floor.
Shoot people faces joy and disappointment
Video on iPhone, have not got the Q

Thanks in advance.

you can hang the white balance card on the kite and set your camera WB accordingly ;p

or just shoot RAW with auto WB and correct the WB later during PP.

if it is sunny use daylight,

if it cloudy day than use cloudy

if in shade than use shade

if too lazy than just use auto white balance

want everything perfect than shoot in raw, adjust white balance at post production.

catchlights said:
if it is sunny use daylight,

if it cloudy day than use cloudy

if in shade than use shade

if too lazy than just use auto white balance

want everything perfect than shoot in raw, adjust white balance at post production.

Thanks, it's different shooting on Kr , I shot at the Singapore air show last year I think, in raw, the belly of the planes jets in the shade, it was cloudy, so darker than sky, then adjusting on iPhoto seemed not able to get the balance back right. maybe its out of the range possible to adjust.

oceanpriest said:
you can hang the white balance card on the kite and set your camera WB accordingly ;p

or just shoot RAW with auto WB and correct the WB later during PP.

It's PP then.

auto white balance is good enough...and beta due lie on the field..pple will be running around and looking backwards trying to get their kite up in the air..they wun be looking out for you so either they step on you or fall on you..

7947372400_7688545030.jpg

7948034370_60ac107dfe.jpg

Yamakasi said:
auto white balance is good enough...and beta due lie on the field..pple will be running around and looking backwards trying to get their kite up in the air..they wun be looking out for you so either they step on you or fall on you..

Thanks for photos, good advise not to lie on the floor .

Thanks, it's different shooting on Kr , I shot at the Singapore air show last year I think, in raw, the belly of the planes jets in the shade, it was cloudy, so darker than sky, then adjusting on iPhoto seemed not able to get the balance back right. maybe its out of the range possible to adjust.

exposure or WB problem?:dunno:

Yamakasi said:
exposure or WB problem?:dunno:

What's the difference in this example?
Like in your kite photo, yourkite is well lit, in my case with jet or plane slow big ones, flying pass, the belly of plane is dark and the sky is too bright. Thanks and sorry if I had use wrong term to describe.

What's the difference in this example?
Like in your kite photo, yourkite is well lit, in my case with jet or plane slow big ones, flying pass, the belly of plane is dark and the sky is too bright. Thanks and sorry if I had use wrong term to describe.

did a quick edit to show differences in WB and exposure..results could be alittle to extreme...but hope this can help to explain better :)

WB too cool

7950177906_0f91b51213_z.jpg

WB too warm

7950171170_3f741ae8c9_z.jpg

Overexpose

7950175042_f20f613181_z.jpg

Underexpose

7950167756_e6778f96a5_z.jpg

did a quick edit to show differences in WB and exposure..results could be alittle to extreme...but hope this can help to explain better :)

WB too cool

:thumbsup: to your excellent samples.
I just got to flag this out as a fine example of folks going the extra bit (to make samples and posting them), helping out to make this community friendly, helpful and useful. :)

Last edited:
Philip, I think you are describing an exposure issue.

You can do the following :
1. use spot metering and find the exposure for dark areas of the kite/plane
2. use center weighted or matrix metering and just set and exposure bias to cater for the under exposed parts (eg. +1 ev); chimp accordingly
3. shoot RAW and use shadow recovery to recover the under exposed parts in PP

then my case should be exposure then, my be below photos taken at airshow could explain a bit more.

#1 Actual original taken f6.3 1/2500 ISO 200
_IGP1245.jpg

#2 Increase brightness on the iPhoto
_IGP1246.jpg

#3 Increase brightness all the way and reduce highlight on iPhoto
_IGP1246_2.jpg

#4 Another fly pass of jets, dark belly, f6.3 1/2500
_IGP1303.jpg

#5 up exposure, reduced highlight all the way on iPhoto
_IGP1303_2.jpg

Thanks

i think increase brightness is not the same as increase exposure..if u using mac..can use preview to edit exposure..

here is 2 more eg from today's kite fest

1st pic is i use center weighted metering and + 1 EV..still abit underexpose so 2nd pic i + 2.5 EV

7955927790_e6080d25e7_z.jpg

7955925192_5ec58a4c5d_z.jpg

:thumbsup: to your excellent samples.
I just got to flag this out as a fine example of folks going the extra bit (to make samples and posting them), helping out to make this community friendly, helpful and useful. :)

thanks..i am still learning as well and i feel that it is easier to learn with pics example :)

there are alot of friendly pentaxians ard too..you are one of the more friendly and helpful member ard too :)

Yamakasi said:
i think increase brightness is not the same as increase exposure..if u using mac..can use preview to edit exposure..

here is 2 more eg from today's kite fest

1st pic is i use center weighted metering and + 1 EV..still abit underexpose so 2nd pic i + 2.5 EV

Thanks very much, Great !
I think you help solved the dark exposures i faced and I learned when to apply +EV , which I never use so far except indoor. Hopefully today weather later better than now.

PhilipKr35 said:
Thanks very much, Great !
I think you help solved the dark exposures i faced and I learned when to apply +EV , which I never use so far except indoor. Hopefully today weather later better than now.

bro. you can also google abt the 18‰ grey theory. it will be helpful for your shoot.

The images here are actually underexposed and you have to adjust your metering accordingly because there are just too many whites here. Since the camera thinks the scene is very bright, it will be "tricked" and underexpose. You can always chimp, look at the histogram and do a reshoot- jets don't always fly by once, from my one experience shooting these things..

Brightness setting not exactly the same as adjusting exposure - brightness basically shifts the midtones while the exposure adjustment adjusts EVERYTHING as if you had changed the in-camera settings (but of course it won't be exactly the same).

In this case the sky is just a little underexposed, but because of ambient lighting the jets are backlit and should be selectively brightened more.

asdfasdfasdf.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Yamakasi, edutilos, poseur, pinholecam, oceanpriest,catchlights,

Thank you all for the patience and that extra efforts in the many replies,
I am happy to share 5 photos from the Kite Festival Sunday, Cloudy overcast.

#1 - Strong winds suddenly, +EV3 (sms advise from Yamakasi), up ISO1600 (many advisers), 1/200 f4
_IGP9163.jpg

#2 - Papa Bear chasing Mermaid , +EV0.3, up ISO1600 1/200 f4.5
_IGP9156.jpg

#3 - Bat Kite Recon, +EV2.7, ISO200 1/160 f7.1
_IGP8971.jpg

#4 - Gliding Rays +EV1.2, ISO200 1/250 f3.5
_IGP9008.jpg

#5 - Entanglement, +EV3.0, ISO640 1/100 f5.6
_IGP9143.jpg

Thanks again. Cheers to the friendly Pentaxians / Ricohians ?

Last edited:
Looks like his Spiderman suffered a twisted fate...

K-30+DFA100 WR
7971792298_d3dd6abfcc_z_d.jpg