(Kit) Tokina Firin 20mm f/2 FE MF

Kit

Jan 19, 2002
Upper Bukit Timah
www.arkitecturalphotography.com
When the Sony full frame mirrorless system was made available a few years ago, the consensus was that there were not enough lenses in the ecosystem to attract photographers to switch over. Today, there is a whole range of native lenses from Sony and Zeiss is manufacturing two range of lenses dedicated to the E mount, the Batis and Loxia lenses. However, some lens choices remained elusive from both companies..... a relatively inexpensive, compact, fast wide angle prime lens.

Then came the Tokina Firin 20mm f/2 FE MF. The first of four lenses from the Firin family(according to their roadmap), dedicated to the Sony E mount. I got one yesterday. Out of the box, initial impression of the lens was good. Weighing 490g, the lens felt a little hefty in the hands but is well balanced with the A7RII. It will take 62mm screw-in filters so landscapers rejoice! The lens has metal construction and felt well-built. Focus and aperture rings are well dampened, having the right amount of resistance. Aperture ring can be de-clicked with a switch so Tokina had videographers in mind. A "cinematic style" rectangular lens hood is included but that appears to be only achilles heel in the build quality. It's made of lightweight plastic and although it clicked onto the lens with no issues, it rattles a little.

This is a manual focus lens so if you are only into auto focus, you can stop reading. It's not really a big deal to me since wide angle lenses are easier to focus and I am used to focus peaking. An easy-to-read distance scale is printed on the barrel so there wouldn't be any issues with zone or hyper-distance focussing too. The focus throw is very long, which is useful for precise focussing. Again, Tokina has got videographers in mind with this lens.

Took the lens to Chinatown this morning and did some cityscapes. Technically, scenes like this should be taken with the lens stopped down for deeper depth of field. This is just for testing purposes. I will start from wide open at f/2 then work up to the smaller apertures. All photographs were taken with Sony A7RII. You can click on the photographs for a larger version on flickr. Sharpness in the centre of the frame at f/2 is really good.

f/2

01 f2 TEST
by arkitectural photography, on Flickr

Centre of the frame

02 f2 CENTRE OF FRAME

Bottom right corner of the frame

03 f2 TEST CORNER OF FRAME
by arkitectural photography, on Flickr​

Diffraction start to show at f/11 and this is just about the smallest aperture I will use with this lens unless I really need more depth of field or longer exposure times.

f/11

10 f11 TEST

Centre of the frame

11 f11 CENTRE OF FRAME

Bottom right corner of the frame

12 f11 TEST CORNER OF FRAME
by arkitectural photography, on Flickr​

So much for image quality and curvilinear distortion. This lens do display some focus breathing and while it's not a big deal for photographers, it could well be a deal breaker for videographers and film makers. When you have clickless aperture ring and long focus throw, why wasn't focus breathing addressed is just beyond me. Following photographs illustrate focus breathing. You can see that when the lens is focussed at the closest focus distance, the field of view is wider.

Focussed at closest focus distance

16 FOCUS BREATHING - CLOSEST FOCUS DISTANCE

Focussed at infinity

17 FOCUS BREATHING - INFINITY

Nice review with the test shots.

Looks good on the edges when stopped down.

Here's a summary of the pros and cons of the Tokina Firin 20mm f/2 FE MF based on a few days of use.

PROs
Compact.
Well-built(except for the lens hood).
Good image quality.
Relatively well controlled curvilinear distortion.
Takes 62mm screw-in filters.
Long focus throw.
De-clickable aperture ring.
EXIF data is recorded.
Relatively inexpensive.

Cons
Focus breathing.
Manual focus(not a big issue to me though).