Kit Lense vs other lense

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 26, 2007
Erm..Hi people over @ club snap..

just being curious.
kit lense offer 18mm to 55mm. however, i see those lense sells @ shop ones which has almost the same specs 17mm to 55mm. Why are they priced like 2k??

Most likely due to it's been a 'fast' lens meaning aperture F2.8 fixed throughout the focal length and whether it comes with image stabiliser.

Most likely due to it's been a 'fast' lens meaning aperture F2.8 fixed throughout the focal length and whether it comes with image stabiliser.

ya...it put f2.8, you mean when i put to 55mm zoom it will still remain f2.8??how do i know if it has image stabiliser?

Plus better build quality, better glass, more complex optical design to cut down problems such as edge softness, flare, ghosting, chromatic aberration, better coating on the elements also to cut down on those problems, and more complex iris diaphragm for better bokeh.

ya...it put f2.8, you mean when i put to 55mm zoom it will still remain f2.8??how do i know if it has image stabiliser?

yes its minimum aperture can remain at 2.8 even at 55mm. So this gives you more flexibility at any focal length as you can set it to be 2.8 or higher. You know it has stabilizer if the lens says so. If you're looking at Nikon it'll say VR (vibration reduction). Canon will state IS (image stabilization). Don't know about the other brands ;p

yes its minimum aperture can remain at 2.8 even at 55mm. So this gives you more flexibility at any focal length as you can set it to be 2.8 or higher. You know it has stabilizer if the lens says so. If you're looking at Nikon it'll say VR (vibration reduction). Canon will state IS (image stabilization). Don't know about the other brands ;p

oh..no wonder...i saw is beside...hm...but quite ex...hahaha 2k omg

What you saw is a high grade 17-55 F2.8 IS USM. It contains a fixed larger aperture, has IS and Ring USM focusing. Its actually one of the best lens for crop sensor camera for canon. Price is more close to 1.5k then 2k though. To see a lens that has image stabalizer the following will be shown on the lens: Canon is IS, Nikon is VR, Panasonic is Mega OIS, Tamron is VC and Sigma is OS.

The reason why high grade lens cost alot more due to come complicated design, higher precision and more expensive elements (glass) like UD and Super UD. Of course stuff like IS, USM and build of lens do contribute to its extra cost.

Let me add, the Canon 17-55 IS f2.8 (and Nikon's, I've used both) is one piece of fine lens. Once you used it, you'd never touch kit lens again.

I would think better construction, better materials for the body, glass and lens mount And where it's made in. (I'm a firm believer that in MOST cases, Made-in-Japan is better than elsewhere).

Generally for the cheaper lenses (with max aperture of f/3.5), there is a sweet spot, where best lens performance is around maybe f/8 and above?. For good lenses, they are sharp over a much wider aperture range.

hm...allow me to ask this...

for this type of high grade lense right? usually it will be used to take landscape???architecture?

hm...allow me to ask this...

for this type of high grade lense right? usually it will be used to take landscape???architecture?

:bsmilie: u can use any lenses to shoot anything as long there is light..
there is no lenses fix to certain type of shooting..its up to the photographers creativity to use lenses correctly..

but 1 thing i can tell u is, the image quality is more superior than the kit lens..:bsmilie:

Erm..Hi people over @ club snap..

just being curious.
kit lense offer 18mm to 55mm. however, i see those lense sells @ shop ones which has almost the same specs 17mm to 55mm. Why are they priced like 2k??
if you put two lens side by side, you can see the difference..
size does matter.

if you put two photos from each lens make comparison,
quality = $$

f2.8, it's maximum aperture of the lens,

not minimum aperture, minimum aperture is f22

orh..okay..thanks guys!!

wah..but imma student kind of madness if i were to invest in a 2k lense...hahaha...

Status
Not open for further replies.