kit lens vs exp lens...(not to trigger lens war ar..dun get e wrong idea!!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FireZ

Deregistered
Sep 21, 2008
something just pop up my mind..hm..
ok...the question i gonna ask is... using kit lens canon 18-55mm IS at F8+++ onward, it can produce quite pleasing result already...so...if gonna shoot in indoor which allows flash, would ppl still bother to bring L lens or watever exp lens?? or they dun mind using kit lens at f8 onward wif flash?!

do kindly share ur view ar...coz whenever i go to malls i see photographers using those super huge lens which i believe..they dun nid tat far zoom lens when they r already so right in front 2gether wif those flash..

do share ya..so i can learn..
cheers!

well...i totally agree tat kit lense can produce great pics but flash may not be a possible option everytime as well as the contrast and color from the kit lense may not be as good (of course can be PS but extra effort la)

firstly, i must put a disclaimer i am a newbie, but here are my newbie thoughts:

1) 1855 IS IQ is not bad, but may not meet the requirements of more fussy photographers and that's where the "L" comes into play.

2) at F8, it may not render the required bokeh at, say F1.8

3) Big huge lens does not equate to long zoom lens.

4) where situation calls for, a faster lens may be required, and generally, they are more expensive, and bigger too.

5) if subject is too far, the flash may be insufficient (related to point 4)

6) there are other considerations such as focusing speed, lens flare etc, to consider, not just IQ.

7) The L tag is definitely an ego booster ;p

yo bro...let say...is not direct flash...but by bouncing the flash..will e contrast still an "Affecting" factor?!
so far...from wat i come across...ppl wanan get those f2.8 lens and to them..is a damn gd lens as it works wonder due to aperture(as in..fast lens)..i dun wanna get influence easily hence...i rather post question n hear reply from ur...(for ur info..i did try using kit lens..hence i did do my job b4 posting...but jus purely wanna hear from ur only)

of coz..if doing nite scenary...f2.8 lens work well...but normally ppl will do nite scenary shots wif tripod..hence i think kit lens setting at f8 onward 2gether wif tripod shdn't b a matter..true?..

do feel free to share ur view (but pls b courteous...coz i seen threads whereby ppl reply to e extend like...shootin/killing the TS...can b quite sad thingy de..)..
cheers!

to TigerOyster: thanks!!!:)

to TigerOyster: thanks!!!:)

No problem. to add on, you mentioned malls, and bounce flash will not be very applicable in this sense... :)

oh...true...but...i still tinking whether to save money for lens or flash...if flash..i'll diy my bounce card...those tat can flash upward n 4ward tat type...
cheers!

unless u are going to use high iso and full power on your flash most of the time, stopping down to f/8 is not a good idea.

high iso = more noise
full power = flash recycles slower, battery finish faster, flash bulb blows faster.

hm...regardin abt wat flipfreak mentioned...er...if the mall has light jus tat is not strong enough for f8, i'll jus use flash to fill up....which can b lesser power rather than full...m i rite to put it this way?

hm...regardin abt wat flipfreak mentioned...er...if the mall has light jus tat is not strong enough for f8, i'll jus use flash to fill up....which can b lesser power rather than full...m i rite to put it this way?

Assuming you are still talking about DIY bounce card, if near subject, it can fill up the shadows, if far from subject, the DIY bounce card is totally useless as the majority of the light still goes up. if you are talking about manual flash (direct), that is another story.

You'll have to have an Extremely well lit mall with all-white walls to be useable at f8 while handholding at a decent ISO. :bsmilie:

Normally f8 is not necessary for most everyday shooting besides landscaping or where sharpness is critical

Last edited:
Even if you use L lens at f8, your shutter speed going to be slow for good handholding unless going for high iso, in which case, you are better off reducing the aperture and going for shutter speed.

It's quite a pain to shoot at F8 all the time... cause the shutter speed is so low that most of the pics will come out with the shakey looking.

I always thought the 18-55mm kit lens was alright until I went and bought the infamously cheap yet insanely good 50mm prime lens... Trust me.. you'll love this! It's small so you don't look so kuku with a big lens and it's fast.. Creates the bokeh thing everyone loves..

Oh and it's significantly sharper than the kit lens.. plus plus plus... what are you waiting for! hahah I should work at canon.

on hindsight.. I'd love to own a L lens..... damn money! Please fall from the sky...

for this post exp lens = L lens/ nikon pro lens

1)ppl get exp lens cos of the f2.8

2)and the lens is ex cos is f2.8 over a range...say 24-70/ 70-200

3)f2.8 is impt in many low light mode/ shooting things when bokeh are needed

4)another pt of ex lens is they handle flare/ghosting/distortion/haloing better, many cheaper lens dont handle them as well.

5)exp lens are better build and can handle rough conditions(not so much for ur case)

6)if u are really really want gd IQ and speed, go for primes. primes usually produces the best IQ and are fastest. - just that they cant zoom.

7)expensive lens- AF faster (those with motor), hunt lesser

8)lastly if u are considering landscape u dun need f2.8 really.
landscape are usually shot at f8-11 or even more ...and usually with tripod...i usually use my tokina 12-24 f4 for landscape. dun see a point to get 14-24 f2.8 in this case unless i get full frame

actually if you are thinking whether to get flash or lens first. I suggest to get flash first. A good flash can solve MOST problems. If after getting flash, you find that something is missing, get lens

u need to shoot more, read more, try more. really.

Most lenses performs quite well at F8 or so. That is not a test of how good a lens is. Expensive lenses are usually designed to perform better than cheaper ones, say maybe wide open. AF speed is another. Some lenses performs very well even at F2.8. I am not saying that kit lenses are not good, just that they may not do well under more demanding conditions (flare, wide open, built quality, etc).

There is no answer as in if they stand close they don't need a big zoom. Its a matter of how that person uses it. There are ppl who uses fisheyes and ultra-wides for portrait. End of the day, if the photographer made the wrong choice of equipment, his end products are the ones that will suffer.

Gd Morning every1...didn't expect so many replies after a gd rest since i got fever yesterday nite..
hm....somehow..a common thingy tat you guys state r...f2.8 for the bokeh...n having it being fast in low light condition...
now i know y ppl prefer to use exp lens which i assume it is more all rounder though it can b bulky?!...as in..in term of quality etc...
poor kid like me will jus play around wif my kit since it serves me pretty ok...though...a bit soft when using at f3.5...hai....
after NS i gonna save up...
haha..
cheers!;)

Think of it this way ...

It's not what you're using now, but what you have at your disposal.

Lots of folks have very capable kit lenses, but they want more ... like to shoot wide open, and enjoy more pleasing bokeh. Cheap lenses will not cut it.

Working photographers need as much options because they HAVE to DELIVER results under most circumstances, which explains why pros see the value in say a $3,000 70-200mm f/2.8 lens with some sort of stabalisation, where as amateurs and hobbyists will argue till hell frezez over about why that lens is the worst of the lot.

Some of those huge, expensive lenses are not all-rounders, but may even be specific lenses that have more limited applications. They cost a bomb because within their design parameters, they perform exceptionally well; something which generic lenses may not even be able to do, let alone do well.

What it boils down to are factors like:

1) YOUR needs
2) Your WANTS
3) SHooting conditions and situations you work in most often
4) How IMPORTANT is getting that shot? Is your job or ego absolutely dependant on it?
5) How much JOY would you derive from an expensive lense, as compared to a kit lens? Can you see the difference anyway?
6) How much can you afford?
7) Do you WANT, or NEED to afford it?

Last edited:
to Dream Merchant: Yes Sir, i got it..
perhaps i'm jus a hobbyists..hence didn't consider the factors u listed down..
haha....now i get to know more abt professional world of thinking...
cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.