Kit lens or not?

Well, it depends on what's your genre. If you are a bokeh guy, then go for the 50mm.
Shooting a 18-55mm @55mm @f3.5 might, I say might, give you some bokeh.
If you dun shoot wide for 90% of the time, then go for the 50mm & save up for 18-200mm or go for the 18-200mm kit & save up for the 50mm.The choice is yours ;)

Uncle MM! At 55mm is f5.6 le. :sweat:

I used to :heart: my 18-55... then I got an UWA and 35mm. Still... the versatility of 18-55 as a kit lens can't be beat... except by 18-135/18-200 kits. :bsmilie:

Uncle MM! At 55mm is f5.6 le. :sweat:
Ahhh.......................oh ya :embrass: Thanks for the correction crystal ;)
Got carried away with the bokeh thingy.................:confused: ...............:bsmilie:

Actually... depending on what you have in mind... what TS really want to shoot. Kit lens is very versatile... you can have a taste of a something wide, and also have some reach.

50mm for a starter is very limited, but if TS already know what he/she was into, then by all means get the 50mm (it is a very sharp and fast lens).

totally agree. sometimes, along the way as we learn, our focus on what we like to shoot changes. so getting the kit lens is pretty much good, till you realize the limitations (if any) to what you'd like to shoot

I think I'll get 50mm 1.8 from shop ba. Dont think I'll upgrade that soon. 1.4 is too ex a jump from 1.8.

So here's my deal:

550D Body - $880
50mm f1.8 - $120
18-55mm @ BNS - $100
Dry Cabinet - $110

Sounds good right? Any comments/advice?

This deal sounds good. So i suppose that you already have budget for all these? if not, get the 50mm instead of the drybox. It's no point getting a drybox just to keep the 18-55mm lens. Store your equipment in a bright dry place you'll be fine as long as you use the equipment once in a while. Fungus will not form overnight or in a week or two

Here's what I did when I got my 60D

60D - 1320
50mm f1.8 - 121
18-55mm B&S - 90

Your camera is NOT designed to grow any fungus in a short time. I believe that even if you leave it lying around it's not going to just screw up within a few years unless you start feeding it fungus.

Here's what I did when I got my 60D

60D - 1320
50mm f1.8 - 121
18-55mm B&S - 90

Your camera is NOT designed to grow any fungus in a short time. I believe that even if you leave it lying around it's not going to just screw up within a few years unless you start feeding it fungus.

I dunno about few years, especially if there are going to be periods where the camera will not be used for some time (eg. a fortnight). Singapore's weather is very humid, which is ideal for rapid fungal growth.

I dunno about few years, especially if there are going to be periods where the camera will not be used for some time (eg. a fortnight). Singapore's weather is very humid, which is ideal for rapid fungal growth.

I think most people's point and shoots will probably be ruined within a year or two if that was the case

I think most people's point and shoots will probably be ruined within a year or two if that was the case

you're very right. but not 1 or 2 years. after 4 years, my Fuji S7000 had fungus in the lens :( but it still takes beautiful pictures ;)

and hooray, my dad's getting it repaired!

Ahhh.......................oh ya :embrass: Thanks for the correction crystal ;)
Got carried away with the bokeh thingy.................:confused: ...............:bsmilie:

you are talking about depth of field right?
http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html
It is not just having small aperture. Subject distance (from lens) and focal length are also key factors having a large or thin dof.
So, it is quite possible to get photo with decent bokeh with the kit lens if you know what to do.

yeah mine had some nasty stuff growing on it after about a year. All I did was keep it in the cupboard and not touch it.
Not repairable... or should I say not worthwhile to repair.

When I first purchased my first DSLR, I took my friend's advise and went with 500D body only and a 50mm 1.8, same case, I was on a budget.

Well, the photos turn out great, bokeh and all, however, when I sat down for dinner, I need to move back if I want any photos of my wife with the food on the table.

50mm on cropped is pretty sucky in terms of that kind of usage, across table shots, self portraits etc... it's not wide enough !

Most will say 50 or 85 for portraits, I say it depends how far away you are standing away from the subject, my wife gets uncomfortable when I go like 3-5m away with a huge DSLR in public (I was using a P&S before).

Unless of course it's for a professional shoot where the models are usually standing a good distance away, so it's largely depends on your style. :)

I'm getting a DSLR tmr! And I'm having a seriously limited budget. So here's my option...

1) Canon DSLR + Kit Lens I OR
2) Canon DSLR + 50mm f1.8

I reckon Kit Lens I only has max 3x zoom. Which is not really worthy in the long run, ultimately I'll have it changed soon. So why not get a f1.8 first and save up for a 18-200?

Anyone has any advice for me? :)

You can always get 18-55 + 55-200, IQ would not be too far off, and probably costs cheaper.

The number of times you can zoom has little to do with what lens you should buy, unless your priority is "not to change lens".

I'm getting a DSLR tmr! And I'm having a seriously limited budget. So here's my option...

1) Canon DSLR + Kit Lens I OR
2) Canon DSLR + 50mm f1.8

I reckon Kit Lens I only has max 3x zoom. Which is not really worthy in the long run, ultimately I'll have it changed soon. So why not get a f1.8 first and save up for a 18-200?

Anyone has any advice for me? :)

Actually, if ultimately you are going to get the 18-2xx, why not save up abit more then get it? Another option you can consider like edutilos mentioned, is 18-55 + 55-250. It's a good kit combo (55-250 can be available at the b&s for ~$250) but it gets really troublesome for traveling when you have to keep changing lens.

imo, 50mm is a fun lens but 18-55 will have the versatility here as 50mm on a crop body is quite tight (esp indoors).

And for the of the "x times zoom", if 18-55 is 3x zoom, does it makes 70-200 weaker since it's 2.8x zoom? It's the focal length in mm that matter more. (some camera makers advertise 12x zoom when even a 55mm beats it)

*sorry if this cause additional dilemma/confusion/frustrations* If you have a seriously limited budget, have you considered other options like Sony SLT, Samsung, Pentax or other brands? These brands/systems can save you quite abit. e.g. Pentax KR (dual kit 18-55 55-200) was sold for abt 1.1k couple of months ago IIRC.

(Please do not turn this into another mirror vs mirrorless debate. TIA)

But its not worth right? Selling your 18-55mm off..... and get a new 18-200....

Ugh I'm so torn apart now! More advice more advice!

You may want to take a look at some of the shots and discussion posted by the Canon 18-200IS users -> http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/threads/481860-Canon-18-200mm-F3.5-5.6-IS

Actually, if ultimately you are going to get the 18-2xx, why not save up abit more then get it? Another option you can consider like edutilos mentioned, is 18-55 + 55-250. It's a good kit combo (55-250 can be available at the b&s for ~$250) but it gets really troublesome for traveling when you have to keep changing lens.

I made a comparison a couple of years back:

What make me choose my 18-200mm instead of the dual kits lens is as follows:

• Better built quality(subjective)
  • Shorter min focus distance in telephoto range compared to the 55-250mm
  • Non-rotating front element (good for CPL & GND)
  • "Rotation" Speed (it is faster to turn your zoom ring then to switch the body/lens)
  • Less haste (don't need to carry extra lens or body during event shooting)
  • Only need to purchase 1 set of hood & lens (UV, CPL, etc)

More details can be found in -> http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/threads/481860-Canon-18-200mm-F3.5-5.6-IS?p=4885448#post4885448

50mm for crop cameras is often unusable in indoor shoots. i will recommend 30mm instead for versatility.

If only cost isn't an issue when I've started off, I would have picked 18-200 over dual kit option.....It's so tempting to even look at 18-2xx now (but less so, as I've no travel plans yet....).

*18-2xx versatility is definitely unmatched, I wished I've owned it when I went for my Travel Trip 2 weeks ago.*

yeah mine had some nasty stuff growing on it after about a year. All I did was keep it in the cupboard and not touch it.
Not repairable... or should I say not worthwhile to repair.

I still think the best way to prevent fungus is constant use! Else flood your entire cabinet with high power UV light!