Kit Lens + Filter + Step Down Ring

Status
Not open for further replies.

szewen

Oct 5, 2009
Bukit Batok
I'm currently using 18-55mm Kit Lens with Canon EOS 500D.
I'm thinking of buying a 58mm HOYA CPL filter to shoot better scenery photos. My friend told me I should get a 72mm filter instead + a step down ring (I forgot what range).
I'm not sure about this step down ring. Can you guys help me in this?? Is this a better option??
thanks in advance!!

You need a step-up ring, not step-down, if you are going to use it with a 72mm filter.

Your friend recommended that probably because you will not have to get extra filters when you get new lens etc.

Better wide-angle lenses tend to have bigger filter threads. I don't know why he said 72mm, but I would get 77mm if I were to follow his system.

Getting a bigger filter and using a step-UP ring gives you more flexibility/lower cost as you don't have to buy several filters.

Depending on exactly what kind of filter you're using, most of the time the amount of possible image degradation is negligible.

One other thing to look out for is possible vignetting at the wider end of the zoom range.

Agree with espnx - for the Canon range - get a 77mm filter instead of 72mm. However, if you say get 10 different filters, all in 77mm, it's going to cost a bomb and be heavy to carry around. Cost effectiveness can only be calculated by the number of filters against ho often you use those filters on BOTH a small filter diameter lens and a large filter diameter lens.

Personally, I would very carefully select and go for the 77mm+step-up ring combination for filters I am very sure I will often use on various lenses.

All the best and Merry Christmas.

Last edited:
You need a step-up ring, not step-down, if you are going to use it with a 72mm filter.

Your friend recommended that probably because you will not have to get extra filters when you get new lens etc.

Better wide-angle lenses tend to have bigger filter threads. I don't know why he said 72mm, but I would get 77mm if I were to follow his system.

My friend said 77m, not 72... it's my mistake... ^^
N yes, it's to help me save money when i get more lens... ^^

Getting a bigger filter and using a step-UP ring gives you more flexibility/lower cost as you don't have to buy several filters.

Depending on exactly what kind of filter you're using, most of the time the amount of possible image degradation is negligible.

One other thing to look out for is possible vignetting at the wider end of the zoom range.

Agree with espnx - for the Canon range - get a 77mm filter instead of 72mm. However, if you say get 10 different filters, all in 77mm, it's going to cost a bomb and be heavy to carry around. Cost effectiveness can only be calculated by the number of filters against ho often you use those filters on BOTH a small filter diameter lens and a large filter diameter lens.

Personally, I would very carefully select and go for the 77mm+step-up ring combination for filters I am very sure I will often use on various lenses.

All the best and Merry Christmas.

I own this KIT LENS only atm n is thinking of getting the 50mm f1.8...
I guess I'll just have to think more carefully b4 I go down n get one... ^^

77mm filters - usually used on the big L lenses.

If you're just getting a 50mm 1.8, and perhaps one longer lens later on like an EF-S tele zoom, perhaps you might not have to go the 77mm+step-up filter routs.

Also, try to determine exactly WHAT kind of filters you need or might need in the near future.

Think carefully first, because buying 77mm filters will be very expensive as compared to 52 or 58mm filters.

After you get the wide-angle lens that you want (if you still want one anyways), you might find yourself using a CPL filter which fits properly without any step-up/down rings. That's not a problem.

BUT. Using a 77mm filter on your 18-55 sounds ridiculous to me as the filter is too big. Sure, I don't expect vignetting but you will not be able to mount the hood (if you have one) and I find it cumblesome.

If you're just getting a 50mm 1.8, and perhaps one longer lens later on like an EF-S tele zoom, perhaps you might not have to go the 77mm+step-up filter routs.

Also, try to determine exactly WHAT kind of filters you need or might need in the near future.

Think carefully first, because buying 77mm filters will be very expensive as compared to 52 or 58mm filters.

The only lens I'm gonna get in the future... most probably after I settle my bill for this body + kit lens... will be a wide angle lens... that's it!!
Just hope that my hands don't get itchy n buy in more n more lens that I can afford... :bsmilie:

Good advice... better not get the filter just yet... ^^

After you get the wide-angle lens that you want (if you still want one anyways), you might find yourself using a CPL filter which fits properly without any step-up/down rings. That's not a problem.

BUT. Using a 77mm filter on your 18-55 sounds ridiculous to me as the filter is too big. Sure, I don't expect vignetting but you will not be able to mount the hood (if you have one) and I find it cumblesome.

hood problem... hmm... y i havn't think of that...?? mayb n'coz I dont own a hood... haha
thanks!!

The only lens I'm gonna get in the future... most probably after I settle my bill for this body + kit lens... will be a wide angle lens... that's it!!
Just hope that my hands don't get itchy n buy in more n more lens that I can afford... :bsmilie:

I'm sure some part of you inside realizes this is not true as soon as you said it :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.