Kingston CF question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cartman2000

Dec 10, 2008
Pasir Ris
Went for one of the organised photoshoots last Saturday.

Upon arrival, I realised that I had forgotten to bring CF cards along. Borrowed a Kingston 4GB 133x from a friend, formatted the card and started shooting.

However when I checked on my computer, I noticed that some of the files are corrupted, some have totally screwed up white balance.. Both Jpeg and RAW files affected.

Is this is a common problem with Kingston cards?

Thanks

Have no problems on my two Kingston cards, but mine not 133x :bsmilie:

I've used Kingston CF cards for quite a while, and I never had any problems with them. But I do know that lots of people recommend other brands over Kingston.

Borrowed a Kingston 4GB 133x from a friend, formatted the card and started shooting.
However when I checked on my computer, I noticed that some of the files are corrupted, some have totally screwed up white balance.. Both Jpeg and RAW files affected.

This formatting in the camera is nothing but wiping the FAT clean. The file system is not checked for any problems. It's not reliable, don't assume the card is fine. You could even recover previous files.
Some cameras offer "Low Level Format". Although the term is wrong it means the file system is created newly, removing all previous data including inconsistencies in the file system. You can do the same with any computer, don't tick the "Quick Format" option.
Can't comment on Kingston, using Sandisk since I bought my first CF card.

The memory card might have bad sectors and since you only do a 'quick format', only the FAT32 table is wipe clean. When the image is created at that bad sector, you will have problem reading it back in one piece and therefore the corrupted image.

Do a 'low level format' or don't check the quick format option as Octarine has indicated. But the safest way is to run a scan disk and catalog all the bad sectors. This way, the files will not write into these bad sectors and will avoid the file corruption problem.

Do you use a card reader? Sandisk/Lexar/Kingston or 3rd party? There may be nothing wrong with your CF card but at the point of file transfer data may have been transferred erroneously, as I experienced with a 3rd party card reader. Lines of data missing with white balance thrown off, or parts of the pictures missing.
...I noticed that some of the files are corrupted, some have totally screwed up white balance.. Both Jpeg and RAW files affected.

have not experienced the same problem as you, just all the files being corrupted and some deleted

but i have only one kingston, rest from sandisk

however, this does not make all kingston cards to be lousy or poor in QC but just merely a faulty piece?

Can the pictures be displayed properly on the camera? If can means there is nothing wrong with the card, maybe some error during reading by card reader.

By the way, formatting the card in camera does not only wipe the FAT table. For Canon cameras, it will delete the partition and create a new one and then format..

By the way, formatting the card in camera does not only wipe the FAT table. For Canon cameras, it will delete the partition and create a new one and then format..

Care to share in which camera this happens? At least in my 350D there is only one option to format a card. It takes 3 sec for 4GB card - and this can only be a deleting of the FAT. Creating a partition with partition table and full file system needs more time.

As far as I am aware of, PowerShot S5 IS will do a low level format (P.37)

have not experienced the same problem as you, just all the files being corrupted and some deleted

but i have only one kingston, rest from sandisk

however, this does not make all kingston cards to be lousy or poor in QC but just merely a faulty piece?
I also think so. It may just be a faulty piece. :dunno:

If you put in a 16GB card, it will recognise it as a 16GB card and makes use of the 16GB capacity.

But if you use the camera to format the card, you will end up with a 16GB card with 8GB capacity. It takes approx 7sec to format a 16GB card on the 350D

Using a computer, it will show a partition of 8GB with another 8GB of unallocated space.

If the camera simply format w/o deleting the partition, it should still remain as a 16GB partition as when it is bought off the shelve.

Warning: Do NOT try this if you do not have a newer camera (like the 5D2) that can "reformat" the card back to 16GB capacity. There is NO easy way to delete the 8GB partition on the card and create a new 16GB partition. XP computers will Not allow you to do it. And you'll be stuck with a 16GB card of 8GB capacity.

Care to share in which camera this happens? At least in my 350D there is only one option to format a card. It takes 3 sec for 4GB card - and this can only be a deleting of the FAT. Creating a partition with partition table and full file system needs more time.

Status
Not open for further replies.