Kingston CF cards of same model but with different storage space

pingkhean

Sep 2, 2010
I just purchase 2 Kingston elite pro CF cards 16GB/133X and I found that the number of RAW shots in each card is less than one I bought a year ago; 384 vs 403shots.

I have formatted the cards but still the same. Is there something wrong with the cards I have just purchased? Check the cards for hidden files but found none at the computer.

Any ideas??

I dont think that there is any problem, reason being each photo varies in size, the more colour and detail a photo has the bigger the size to hold that info. It applies to jpeg too.

I installed and compared them using the same camera and setting.

To better understand this, you could take a shot with your lens cap on (which will give you a black image), the next, shoot something. Then compare the file size. The black photo will be smaller than the other one.

Maybe you can try connect to PC via card reader and right click on properties.. to look at the size. :)

One of them is 14.2GB and the other 14.9GB (free)

Eh.. coz of the digital format calcuation.. thus u will not get the 16GB out of the 16GB CF card..

Eh.. coz of the digital format calcuation.. thus u will not get the 16GB out of the 16GB CF card..

ditto. you get roughly about 20% (it's just a rough estimate) less than the indicated storage. I got 800+GB actual space when I bought a 1 TB HDD, and the same goes for thumb-drives. It's normal and no 2 cards are made the same. Hope this helps.

Thanks.

One of them is 14.2GB and the other 14.9GB (free)

it's normal... i got 4 types of SD cards (all 4GB)... different model cards give me different number of free space when freshly formated... for your case i think Kingston changed the internal memory chips for the same model...

hope this helps...