Kingfisher having a big lunch

Status
Not open for further replies.

wilis128

Dec 13, 2003
just got into birding recently.. still have lots to learn.. so pls feel free to give constructive comments :)

Lighting was bad today as its been showering since morning. I was observing a pair of white-throated KF on a binocular 30m out when one of them suddenly dive into the field for food. Lo n behold it came back up with a bird, which i suspect is a scaly-brested munia, for lunch..

as the munia was a tad to big, the KF whacked it repeatedly against the perch in an attempt to kill it first (you can see the feathers of the poor bird flying off). threw away my binoculars, I grabbed my cam and moved in within 10m to take an insurance shots first.. and all subsequent shots are taken within 5m.

the KF that made the kill even share the food with its mate

shots're taken handheld, d2h+ sigma 120-300+ 1.4tc, using car as a hide. had to push some shots to ISO 800.

the rest are here.. enjoy
http://www.pbase.com/wsusanto/kingfisher_feeding_sequence

Jan 17, 2002
Singapore / Taiwan
www.myviewfinder.net
Nice catch there wilis! It is quite uncommon to see KF feeding on other avians. My only complain is the size of the photos, perhaps you will like to present them in larger sizes. Keep up the good work! :)

wilis128

Dec 13, 2003
thks avatar, harlequin.. :)
i've resized the pics to large.

i read somewhere they do take small mammals, snakes n nestling birds for food though like u said quite uncommon.. this fella dived into the grass and it was quite a commotion.. and the instance it gets back on the perch it just kept whacking the bird... with the commotion and whacking i presumed the bird was a live one.. :dunno:

LeeDan

Mar 29, 2004
White Sands, Singapore
Wow, looks like fishes are scares, n the kingfisher turns to feed on other avians!...
In the 3rd shot it looks really fierce.. what a rare sight.. great series

nyxx88

Nov 17, 2004
Fantastic shots!! Perhaps you could get it published in some nature mag?

Garion

Nov 26, 2002
West side of S'pore
Visit site
Excellent catch! :thumbsup: This is the first time I have actually seen such pics of Kingfishers preying on other live birds. Indeed a very rare sight and well documented sequence of pics. The third pic especially is a stunning capture. Well done!

wkcheah76

Jan 20, 2004
Tampines, Singapore
www.pbase.com
Yeah man steady! Birds are getting violent! I closest I saw was only Black Cap eating crabs... this one is cool! :thumbsup:

skfoo

Mar 15, 2003
Visit site
Nice catch there. This is raw indeed!

airforce1

Aug 18, 2003
That was a good one. Keep up with the hard work,the rewards is yours.

wilis128

Dec 13, 2003
thanks everyone for the compliments
it was really a lucky catch, i wish the lighting was better but no complain lah.. :)

wilis128

Dec 13, 2003
MountainMan said:
One of the most extraordinary shots of the WTKF that I have seen.... wow!!!
woah seh MM.. thks for the compliment :embrass:

Mar 3, 2004
Wah bro, so this is what you have been shooting since you last smsed me. :bsmilie: Very nice and extremely rare catch, still got action in the form of flying feathers. In fact first time i have ever seen a KF makan other birds.....have only seen them doing snakes and insects like grasshoppers. I have one WTKF eating a grasshopper that is bigger/longer than its beak + head.

RIP for the prey (seems to be an adult). I guess it could be sick or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.