kindly give some critique~

Status
Not open for further replies.

jack_low

Feb 13, 2006
East
www.jacklowgallery.zenfolio.com
critique needed pls~ can anyone tell me whick category type does these photographs belong to?

thanks for everything!

both pictures show the same girl taken in bangkok without knowing.

Day02Sat230430.jpg

Day02Sat230426.jpg

jack_low said:
critique needed pls~ can anyone tell me whick category type does these photographs belong to?QUOTE]

1 As drumma said, this should be under the streets and candids.

2 As eikin said, if that is all you want to know, then you should not have put these images in the critique corner.

The purpose of the critique corner is to offer critique for the images.

he's just asking. be nice.

please go to Newbie cormner if so.

i don't think there's a need to post this at 'Newbie Corner' as that might be overly discriminating imho.

i just want to know what the threadstarter wants to get from this thread, the pictures do evoke some emotions, but if the threadstarter only wants to know 'which category type ... these photographs belong to' then i see no point posting more

eikin said:
i don't think there's a need to post this at 'Newbie Corner' as that might be overly discriminating imho.

i just want to know what the threadstarter wants to get from this thread, the pictures do evoke some emotions, but if the threadstarter only wants to know 'which category type ... these photographs belong to' then i see no point posting more

precisely.. and where is he now...? is he really interested if ppl were to take time and pen down the critiques? :think:

aiya... guys, i made the same mistake when i first posted here. Maybe cut him some slack? I'm pretty sure he'll know next time. :)

Hey, jack, welcome to CS! :D

I find the cropping done on the 2nd pic to be better. In the 1st pic, the people in the background on the left are a bit distracting.

Also, in the 2nd pic, u can see the emotion in her eyes much better. She looks sad, though she seems to be trying to smile? :dunno: 2nd pic I like! :thumbsup:

Haha since its in the critique corner I'll give my 50 cents worth anyway. Though you're supposed to post up 1 pic, but since they're on the same subject (and you're new) I'll just take them as a pair.

The Good:
1) In both images the viewer is immediately drawn to the girl, which is good. Your subject is clear, as well as the intention.
2) The 2nd image is good. Her eyes dominate and hold the viewer's attention. Her face embodies both youth and innocence, while her expression evokes a certain solemn, almost forlorn look that's very typical of child portraits in 3rd world countries. Her unkempt hair adds to this feeling.
3) Good choice to convert to sepia and B&W. Allows the unique character to shine through without the distraction of colour.
4) The top portion of the head on which the girl is resting is a good example of how your photo can tell a story about a person without having to give away too much. Here, its clear she has a younger relative, probably her younger brother, and although we do not see him we know he's there.

The Bad:
1) Your 1st image has a lot of irrelevant elements. Though they don't distract the viewer from the main subject, as a photographer you should aim for cleaner, stronger compositions.
2) Good composition somewhat spoiled by the man sitting in the background. Again, he isn't really very distracting, but his unwanted presence somehow lowers overall impact.

Overall, they're very good attempts despite some technical flaws. Keep up the gd work!

jack_low said:
critique needed pls~ can anyone tell me whick category type does these photographs belong to?

thanks for everything!

both pictures show the same girl taken in bangkok without knowing.

Day02Sat230430.jpg

Day02Sat230426.jpg

Yo friend, in future if any thing...i mean anything whether stupid or tough question just go to Kopitiam Weight Loss Cafe there to ask or post your picture...Over there we have many ppls there to help you solve your problem without giving you a hard time.. WE WELCOME ANY NEWBIE...:thumbsup: :thumbsup: I learn alot of thing there with joke and happy moment and picture like yours will get very honest remark without having to know where to post, wat to post and how many to post.
See you there friend.:thumbsup:

The link is here. 叽喳 Weight Loss Cafe (Season 13)

Sorry guys, i'm back late.

First of all i would like to apologize for being inactive for this period of time, just came back from a minor knee op. :sweat: well and of course the misunderstanding I created, it did caused quite a stirr I supposed, from the way some of the response sounds.

I was requesting for critiques and as which category these images belong to was an additional question. My bad, sorry to those people who was disturbed.

Hope I can learn how the culture works here at the Newbie cormner, and maybe pump up the number of post since I've to be gauged this way. :sweat:

And great Thanks for those people who help speaking up and offer valuable critiques for newbie jack! appreciate is the word.:)

wiz23 said:
Hey, jack, welcome to CS! :D

I find the cropping done on the 2nd pic to be better. In the 1st pic, the people in the background on the left are a bit distracting.

Also, in the 2nd pic, u can see the emotion in her eyes much better. She looks sad, though she seems to be trying to smile? :dunno: 2nd pic I like! :thumbsup:

solarii said:
Haha since its in the critique corner I'll give my 50 cents worth anyway. Though you're supposed to post up 1 pic, but since they're on the same subject (and you're new) I'll just take them as a pair.

The Good:
1) In both images the viewer is immediately drawn to the girl, which is good. Your subject is clear, as well as the intention.
2) The 2nd image is good. Her eyes dominate and hold the viewer's attention. Her face embodies both youth and innocence, while her expression evokes a certain solemn, almost forlorn look that's very typical of child portraits in 3rd world countries. Her unkempt hair adds to this feeling.
3) Good choice to convert to sepia and B&W. Allows the unique character to shine through without the distraction of colour.
4) The top portion of the head on which the girl is resting is a good example of how your photo can tell a story about a person without having to give away too much. Here, its clear she has a younger relative, probably her younger brother, and although we do not see him we know he's there.

The Bad:
1) Your 1st image has a lot of irrelevant elements. Though they don't distract the viewer from the main subject, as a photographer you should aim for cleaner, stronger compositions.
2) Good composition somewhat spoiled by the man sitting in the background. Again, he isn't really very distracting, but his unwanted presence somehow lowers overall impact.

Overall, they're very good attempts despite some technical flaws. Keep up the gd work!

Thanks for the comments. It immediately sends my brain working.;p I shared the same view on the bad points for the first picture, too much distraction. Unfortunately it was taken by a normal digital camera, which I can't apply a narrower depth of field to blur the background. But on top of that, would the pic be better if the distraction were blurred?

Agree that people make mistakes all the time, and it's just that because it's a hard time for Critque Corner now - there is a bit too many...hmm...shall I call it "unsincere" and "no effort" posts recently, and things are a bit touchy. Now it's a bit hard to differentiate if someone is really looking for a critique or just trying to get attention.

Also, read the Critique Corner guidelines before posting, please? 1 image per member per week - I can't stress this enough. It takes a lot of effort to give comments for one picture...

Another thing, please resize your images to a more managable size - I'm using a 1024x768 display and I have scroll horizontally to see your image. If you don't know how to do it, please seek help in the other sub-forums, not here.

For your first pic, your subject doesn't fill enough of the frame. Because it's visually noisy, there are lot of other things trying to catch the attention of the viewer, and it keeps pulling the attention of the viewer away from the subject. Use the technique you applied in the 2nd picture.

jack_low said:
Sorry guys, i'm back late.

First of all i would like to apologize for being inactive for this period of time, just came back from a minor knee op. :sweat: well and of course the misunderstanding I created, it did caused quite a stirr I supposed, from the way some of the response sounds.

I was requesting for critiques and as which category these images belong to was an additional question. My bad, sorry to those people who was disturbed.

Hope I can learn how the culture works here at the Newbie cormner, and maybe pump up the number of post since I've to be gauged this way. :sweat:

And great Thanks for those people who help speaking up and offer valuable critiques for newbie jack! appreciate is the word.:)

at least it has been clarified :) there's no need to post in newbie corner whatsoever to get a critique. critique corner is for everyone to improve, newbie or oldie, just make sure the posts are made with reasonable effort

1. you should include a more useful information rather than saying 'both pictures show the same girl taken in bangkok without knowing.' that imho is nothing important at all to the viewers.

2. your shots are close up of a girl's expression, i think it's easier for the viewer to understand the pictures if you include a short passage explaining what's going on

3. crop your pictures tighter to remove unnecessary elements.

Shot #2 is definitely a winner, you cannot help but be drawn to the eyes and hence tht overall shot from there.

cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.