Kinda New.....canon 350D to 500D ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swiss Wife

Aug 13, 2009
Hi everyone.

I am kind of new to photography. I bought a Canon 350D when they first came out and have not really played with it to its full capacity as much as I should but am planning to use it a lot more now we have moved to Singapore and I have more time on my hands. I am thinking about upgrading and and thinking about the 500D body only as I have a 18-55 and a 75-300 lens.
I don't want a camera that is too big or too heavy but I like the live view screen and that really as pushing me in the direction to upgrade....

Am thinking about going to a registered dealer and then also doing to canon course so I can get the best out of it....

Has anybody got any advice ?? is this a sensible next step to take ??

What do you primarily shoot? Are you aware of the limitations of the current LiveView function?

Have you checked out the new Nikon D500 (I suppose so) that has a tiltable LCD? It would benefit greatly if you swear by it. other brands offer this too, like the Sony A350.

but on the other hand, don depend too much on LV if you are into dslr :)

Yes, 500D has better performance and features compared to 350D (noise control is important for me, does it for you?)

also, as what grantyale has asked, what do you normally shoot?

Hi there

I normally shoot travel photos. Building and people landscapes. rarely portraits or animals.

Not awars of the live view limitations.... ??

Perhaps it would be good to use the 350D now and learn more about photography with it. From there, you'll learn about photography and also the features you like and also what the 350D lacks. When upgrading, you'll be able to know what other features to look for. Oh, do read up and like you mentioned, take a course. :)

Welcome to Clubsnap and Singapore.

Welcome to CS.
Why not continue using your 350D?
I hope the reason for upgrading is not for that free training provided by Canon. It is only a half day thing and I think you can learn a lot more reading stuff here. You can also enrol for a paid course on DSLR basics. Check out the Workshops section.

well..there are improvements.

but if looking at an upgrade, might be looking at the 40D instead.

Perhaps it would be good to use the 350D now and learn more about photography with it. From there, you'll learn about photography and also the features you like and also what the 350D lacks. When upgrading, you'll be able to know what other features to look for. Oh, do read up and like you mentioned, take a course. :)

Welcome to Clubsnap and Singapore.

That is far too sensible an option !!! :D

The same line my husband had...... But I was also getting very irritated with the screen on the back of the 350D yesterday when I was trying to review shots and my friend had this great big clear screen on her camera......

Stoppable - am planning to do some more courses and that is how I found this site..... The canon one appealed cos it is specific but not the reason for upgrading. It would be a very expansive way to learn....

I also need to set aside a day and read through all these forums......

Switch off the review function on the 350D. Wait until you are seated comfortably with a glass of wine....... ;)

I'm still using 350D and I'm ready for an upgrade, after a hundred-thousand photos +

Need to practice composition and exposure so investing in good books, kit bag and shoes should be 1st on yr list...

Welcome and enjoy Singapore!!!

The same line my husband had...... But I was also getting very irritated with the screen on the back of the 350D yesterday when I was trying to review shots and my friend had this great big clear screen on her camera......

Stoppable - am planning to do some more courses and that is how I found this site..... The canon one appealed cos it is specific but not the reason for upgrading. It would be a very expansive way to learn....

Hahaha, you seem to be already sucked into the BBB (buy, buy, buy) virus. :) New technology will always be coming out, so yes, you can go get a new camera body, but i'm sure you'll appreciate the latest technology more, if you use the 350D first, and get the basics down.

Yup i agree. If you're just starting out and have a 350D, use it first and get to know it inside out. Once you think you've 'outgrown' the 350D then upgrade.

btw i find live view a very useful feature on the 500D when shooting macro/nature/landscapes on a tripod.

I have the 350D as well, and I would also like the larger LCD screens on the newer cameras.
If money is not a problem at all..yeah..what the hell..just get the latest!

Otherwise, keep the 350D..and spend the S$1000 on a good flash, and a better lens. (such as tamron 17-50, or used 17-40L).
These will probably give you better photos, the larger LCD and liveview do not give you better photos.

Both 350D and 500D are capable of taking good photos...
Perhaps, I came from the SLR days..and that is why, I have never find the lack of liveview a problem at all.
Equipped with a good lens, good skills (being able to know what settings is best for the particular photo)...you probably will not need to check the LCD as much (and as long) in the future.

despite the newer models and its age.... the 350D is a wonderful little camera that is quiet and light.

I suggest that you join some of the free outdoor shooting gatherings that can be found here

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=49

and also here if you want to know more about our heartlands

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=533115

and when you FINALLY want to decide to upgrade, you can buy new or 2nd hand (there is a very active Buy and Sell section here)

the rest of the forum.......... you will find it very easy to wander around

please remember to use Search function to find information that might be archived already

You've been poisoned by the BBB virus...! :)

well, seriously, if you have the budget for an equipment upgrade, by all means spend it to get the camera that makes you happy and makes you want to use it to capture great photos.

If you don't mind spend some money, is ok to get the 500D.
After you purchased the new camera, you will be able to register for Canon free equipment training (note: not photography training)

However, if the 350D still intact and very good condition, keep it and spend some money on lenses. I guess your 18-55 in non IS version.
You may get a Tamron 17-50 f2.8, good lens, value for money

Best to really know the limitations of the Canon live view, and aso consider the other brands as well. Both Nikon and Sony offer a big, tilting LCD screen (very handy for overhead shots) and the Sony offers full-speed autofocus in LiveView, which the others don't.

I also think it's cheaper and you get a free photography course. :)

... Sony salesman in action... hehehe

but yeah, seriously... if you don't mind a system switch, do consider the other brands as well...
You have 2 lenses currently. Still not too bad to switch systems if that's your inclination.

Sticking to Canon and upgrading to 500D seems like it will put a smile on your face. i say go for it if budget allows!

350D is a very good camera capable of very good results. Of course newer cameras give you more features but in the end it comes down to what you value most. At this time you might want that bigger LCD and live view more than anything. But your priorities may change once you get more into the hobby. I was also looking for the bells and whistles on a new body a (long) while back. Now I am still using that beginner DSLR but I crave for better and more different lenses, as I find that I am looking to get some angles and image effects I see out there. I am still using old technology btw, a D40x. I wouldn't mind a new D90 or D300, it would be nice, but it all comes down to opportunity cost and what is more important for me. You may want to rethink your needs(or wants) and avoid impulse buys.

As for the training, Shen siung mentioned correctly that it is only a half day course to get you acquainted with the camera features and operation. It does not teach you how to take a better picture.

I learnt a lot from my dad, friends, internet and books. I look at photos I like taken by others, and ask myself how can I replicate that shot/effect. I look for answers by reading, talking to friends and family. Then I try it out. Photography is lifelong learning, a long winding road, but an enjoyable one.

Status
Not open for further replies.