Kinabalu Trekking

Status
Not open for further replies.

romeobravo

Feb 24, 2003
Visit site
Hi...
I'm interested in trekking to Kinabalu mountain.
Anyone knows the cheapest way to go there?
I'm no tourist :D Don't mind some pain in the a$$ :D

Originally posted by romeobravo
Hi...
I'm interested in trekking to Kinabalu mountain.
Anyone knows the cheapest way to go there?
I'm no tourist :D Don't mind some pain in the a$$ :D

Buy a $5 map and walk there??
See you back here in 2004..

Heheh.. just joking.. ;p

Went there in June last year.
Nice view from the top.:)

You might want to check this out:
www.pacwest.com.sg

If u set off from Singapore, better take a flight from JB, cheaper. After u get to KK, share a taxi with others for about RM15 to the Mt. Kinabalu, or take a minibus which might be slower. Stay in youth hostel at RM12.9/night. u can choose 2-day or 3-day package. Also need to hire a guide, cheaper if u share with more people. I have a series of pix in Sabah, Malaysia, on my site: http://www.openlens.com/~tomshen/gallery/theme_index.htm#kk Click the image to see all.

anybody interested in kinabalu trekking? sometime around April or May, perhaps?

Originally posted by tomshen
If u set off from Singapore, better take a flight from JB, cheaper. After u get to KK, share a taxi with others for about RM15 to the Mt. Kinabalu, or take a minibus which might be slower. Stay in youth hostel at RM12.9/night. u can choose 2-day or 3-day package. Also need to hire a guide, cheaper if u share with more people. I have a series of pix in Sabah, Malaysia, on my site: http://www.openlens.com/~tomshen/gallery/theme_index.htm#kk Click the image to see all.

hey Tomshen,
are you going there alone?

hey Tomshen,
are you going there alone?
I had friends in KK, but went up the mountain alone.

is it require to bring all the trekking equipment? like tent, sleeping bag, cooking gas, etc? or we don't need it in kinabalu?

is it require to bring all the trekking equipment? like tent, sleeping bag, cooking gas, etc? or we don't need it in kinabalu?
Leave them at home.

You don't need sleeping bag, tent and fuel, as you will be spending the night at the resthouses - at Park HQ for 1st night, or at Laban Rata/Panar Laban up in the mountain. But you'll need to book the beds in advance, especially during peak trekking seasons. You don't need to bring food too, as you can buy them at the resthouse. But you DO NEED warm clothings.

See the Kinabalu Park Resort webpage for more details, and Here for transport info.

You can also come to Clubsnap's IRC around evening time to catch me, and I'll be glad to fill you in with more info. :)

Hey Romeo, when are you planning to go up??
I am also interested.

Originally posted by swift-monkey
Hey Romeo, when are you planning to go up??
I am also interested.

I'm not sure. What's the best time go there?
I don't want getting there and end up with cloudy weather or even worse, rain :cry:

I am thinking of going up there on 1st of May. Coz we can make use the labour day and just take 1 day off. Yup this rainy season is really scary, once go up there and the sky is so cloudy and road slippery due to the rain, we would not be able to enjoy then.
Any other person inetersted???

I am thinking of going up there on 1st of May. Coz we can make use the labour day and just take 1 day off. Yup this rainy season is really scary, once go up there and the sky is so cloudy and road slippery due to the rain, we would not be able to enjoy then.
Any other person inetersted???

So be it! 1st of May.
Start exercise from now :D

Was there last April after 6 days diving at Sipadan Island.

Book your accomodation at KK, when you touch down. It is computerized. They will advise you on how to get there. We took a Rm12 bus (2 - 3 hrs) that drops at the enterance of the Park HQ.

Once there. Register. You will need to hire a guide (complusory) to lead the way. Porter to carry your gear is available, on a per kilo basis. If you are solo, then best wait at the ranger station for other smaller group to tumpang, otherwise the guide fee can be hefy.

There is a permit fee. Here is the killer part, if you are Malaysian - it is RM100 or so. Foreign RM300 !. Somehow, my friend talk the group (of 1 Singaporean, 1 Malaysian, 2 Hong Kongers) into getting the local rate.

There are 2 treks up and down. The straight route and the advanced route. We took the advanced route up and the straight route down. About 8 hrs up to the mid-point and rest house. The air is about 10 - 14 deg C at about 3pm

We were unfortunate that the heated rooms are taken up. I made serveral trip to the kitchen, lighted the stove and warm my hands, sweater, socks..... Heard that it was like 8 deg that night. Slept at about 7.30pm will all my clothes. No need to bath (and cold too).

In the wee hours of the morning, the final assuat. About 2 -3 km, with slopes at about 60 - 75 deg. Had to grab the rope and make a 10m dash for it. I am out of breath every time. High altitude, which I am not accustomed to, is making me take baby step on every move. If you were to walk at normal pace, I will be exhausted after a few meter. The barometer reads about 600 (sea level is abt 1000). My packet of cookie exploded in my bag.

The final summit, called Low's Peak, was minutes away. I was about to give up when the guide smiled at me and urged me along.

It was 6am. The most spectacular sunrise I have seen. A 737 heading to Tawau, where I set off for my dive, fly pass us. It was below my feet. So are the clouds. So peaceful and so clam...... It was 2deg C. Was wearing all my stuff - 1 T-shirt, 1 sweater, 1 jacket, 1 glove & 1 head cover <whatever you call that>, 1 pair of nylon track pants (I swear that this works better than jeans in blocking the winds).

Felt sorry for that friend, who trained at Gym and had a porter to carry her gear. She gave up. After 1 hr, she managed to do only 500m. Porter asked her to abort the climb and head back to the room. So near yet so far.

I think I just redo my BMT all over again during that 3 days 2 night.

Photo

wah lensman, ur story really wake me from my sleep to start training from now. I think i need to start training my endurance by running. Hmmm, let's see, we only have 2 more months to go effectively.

Btw, are you malaysian or singaporean, romeobravo????
We need to find one malaysian to get a cheaper permit fee.

Looking forward to adventerous month of May.

I think i need to start training my endurance by running.

Go! Go! Go! The trip up the mountain is beautiful. When training, good to climb lots of stairs too... 'cos it's gonna be steps up all the way, especially during the first day! I had lots of problem breathing too, due to the high altitude.

Almost didn't make it to the top, if it's not for an aged Jap man that steadily walked past me, with his walking stick!!!... Looks like he's in his 70s!! He put me to shame...so I picked myself up and finally made it to the top!.... But it was past sunrise...

Train lots lots and don't miss the sunrise like me!!

Well, I didn't know that it was that tought a climb. The flyer and the website said something to the tune of "no training needed". My fren says that it is the lenght of abt 2 -3 times that of Orchard Rd !

Ya-ga !

I haven't been back to reservist since my ROD in 1992 AND never much do gym or such. The only consolation to the fitness part was that days before we were diving in Sipadan for 5 days and did a 1 day river rafting. That was about as much prep as I get for this uphill (up mountain, rather) climb.

Like BMT, one curse & swear sliently as it goes. But felt a sense of achievement and pride when one made it to the top. I sang that Carpenter song - Top of the world when at the Summit. Not it didn't rain, the rain cloud where below my feet , but I was out of breathe at the 1st chorus.

Really worth it. But I won't do it again.

Yes, fly from JB cost lesser. Flight leaves at 1pm, flight time is about 2.5 hrs. If there are 4 of you, you can share a cab from Rochor to Senai airport. Cost a bit more than the MAS airport bus at Newton, but you can save a few hours of waiting and traveling time.

Hi friends,
If you wanna go to Sabah, go before 30th May and be in KK (better are those outskirt area) on 30th & 31st of May because Sabah is having the great Harvest Festival Celebration. You will get the cahnce to try out local rice wine and experince many occasions at different area.

I believe those who has friends in KK will bring you around.

As for the Mt Kinabalu trekking, the 2 or 3 day packages are new packages. But they are the same for tourist purpose instaed of professional climber. It's the walking stamina that is required and a small part that maybe difficult for you to climb when you are carrying camera equipments known as the 'rock face'.

Because you will reach about 1 km before the summit in the afternoon and stay overnight until 2am to continue the journey to catch the sunrise, most of the people will feel dizzyness or headache, it's high altitude and air pressure problem, very common. Imagine you are reaching 3km above sea level in half a day without any "air pressure moderator",hahahha.

Night time temperature could drop to 1~10 celcius dependant on the wind and weather. However my 4 out of 7 climbs experienced rain in the afternoon when decending back to the mountian foot, so better have raincoat to protect your cameras.

Ask your friend to bring you to bus terminals to take cheaper bus up to Mt. Kinabalu. But the tour operator which you book for the package should have transport arrangement.

RM15 is impossible for you to ride a taxi from the airport to Mt. Kinabalu. That's the price for taking taxi from the airport to town.

I am from KK, forgot to mention this. I might be back if not going backpacking since NTU is having term holidays. Hope you guys have a pleasant time in KK.

P/s Go to places like Gaya Street on Sunday, Penampang, Papar, Tamparuli & Tuaran for some local native market events. The best time is early morning 5~9am.

Status
Not open for further replies.