Kinabalu & Microdrive

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyanbloodbane

Mar 18, 2002
Has anyone use a MD (microdrive) at Mt Kinabalu's summit? Does it work at that altitude?

cyanbloodbane said:
Has anyone use a MD at Mt Kinabalu's summit? Does it work at that altitude?
Definitely will work... went to the summit with an old Sony MD player... will work... batteries, errr.... dunno will last long or not... be careful of the rain... always rains below 8000 feet... the rest of the trip up is cold...

cyanbloodbane said:
Has anyone use a MD at Mt Kinabalu's summit?

I did bring my MD but didn’t use it as my primary card. Just for spare/backup, incase my CF cards run out of space.

cyanbloodbane said:
Does it work at that altitude?

It’s vulnerable.

IBM warns against MD use above 10,000 feet (3,048 meter). Mt. Kinabalu is 4,101 meter high.
MD’s recommended operating temperature is 0-55°C. The temperature there may drop down to the freezing point (0-5°C).

It’s your call..

YoungCool said:
How about CF card?
CF card should be ok... went up kinabalu and honestly, it ain't very freezing... at one point went to -3 degrees C but its at the summit... the rest of the way should be under normal operating condition for CF cards

dont think any problem at cold weathers.. in states n europe the winter alone can be -5 to -10 easily..

cyan, u going kinabalu huh?

if u really going... start heading for the summit at 1 am... by that time u reach the summit enough for hot coffee from the Laban Rata Rest House and watch the sun rise... so nice... too bad my camera batt. was flat... sigh... if u really go post ur pics here!

Yes, head up to the Summit earlier. Normal is 2am. As the climb may be a bit tiring, an additional hour may make you less stressful to make it to the summit but daybreak. Lotsa good pictures you can take there. Have fun!

Sure the MD will work. I've use it in a snowy atmosphere before no problem. And that is definately colder than Mt Kinabalu.

_BEE_ said:
Yes, head up to the Summit earlier. Normal is 2am. As the climb may be a bit tiring, an additional hour may make you less stressful to make it to the summit but daybreak. Lotsa good pictures you can take there. Have fun!
Yup its true. If you carry your camera equipment and if your camera is an slr i suggest it go in a rucksack or camera bag! :)

wilis128 said:
dont think any problem at cold weathers.. in states n europe the winter alone can be -5 to -10 easily..

cyan, u going kinabalu huh?

Yup. Going this May end. Am a little worried on using the microdrive at that altitude. Any way looks like I would need a 1GB CF for this trip.

_BEE_ said:

Sure thing. Will do that!

Dun worry, I used my 340MB up and down, no problem at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.