Killing birds for that perfect shot

Now, this is sad...
What's sad is that a staged photograph wins a nature photography competition organized by Nat Geo.

http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/ngm/photo-contest/2011/entries/gallery/nature-winners/#/5

Arrows of rain seem to pelt a dragonfly in Indonesia's Riau Islands in "Splashing,” the winning image of the 2011 National Geographic Photography Contest.

To capture the photo, photographer Shikhei Goh took advantage of “superb lighting” and a friend spraying water on the dragonfly to simulate rain.

The result is a "very striking macrophotography image that rose to the top of the nature category for me because of its originality, beautiful light, rare action in a close-up image, as well as its technical perfection," said Tim Laman, one of three National Geographic magazine photographers who judged the contest.

"You can almost feel the dragonfly's experience of bracing itself against the water," said judge Amy Toensing. "When I look at it, I want to say, Hold on tight little buddy!"

The insect's plight also appealed to judge Peter Essick, who said the photograph gives the dragonfly a "character us humans can relate to."

"It's rare indeed to see a photograph that causes the viewer to feel a bond with a member of the animal world seemingly," Essick said, "but maybe not, so unlike our own."

Editors’ Note, January 12, 2012: This caption has been edited to accurately reflect how Goh took the picture. The original caption said that Goh had taken the picture in a sudden rainstorm, which he has done in previous occasions—but not for the winning photograph.

Surely dragonflies encounter rain, but we don't know if proper precautions were taken to protect the creature. Shrug.

Surely dragonflies encounter rain, but we don't know if proper precautions were taken to protect the creature. Shrug.

Why would the dragonfly stayed put on that branch. I think we all know how hard we pray so the dragon fly would stay put while we aim our camera. Now, this particular one decidedly to stay put even it was being sprayed on...

Amazing.

Don't worry, they have just applied and approved as permanent resident in hell with Satan, and their passports revoked indefinitely.

What's sad is that a staged photograph wins a nature photography competition organized by Nat Geo.

http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/ngm/photo-contest/2011/entries/gallery/nature-winners/#/5

sigh... and its sad that Natgeo said that the participant did not go against the rules of the competition.
So after clarifying with the photographer of how that shot was taken , and updated on the website, they found no reason to disqualify the image..
So different from the BBC wildlife photography competition a few years back,
Where the judges felt that the shot of the wolf jumping over the fence.. is definitely not normal.. decided to disqualify that image.. thus no winner for that year..

Anything for the hobby!

May karma return to punish them!

money makes the world go rouge?