Kids nowadays.

mattlock

Feb 28, 2004
www.superhyperreal.com
I've met my fair share of irresponsible kids but this one takes the cake

A 16 year old wanted to join us for an internship. He's been asking around for some sort of internship so he can learn from "seniors", and all other flowery nonsense that you can find here in this forum if you look...

So we offered a standard $500 per month internship for 2.5 months. (based on poly internship rates)
He came in for 3 days and then left, leaving this sms:

"Hi sorry if this is too sudden. I wanted to leave this for tomorrow, but I decided that I don't want it to affect the new assistants. I've decided to quit this job. I won't ask for my 3 days of pay either. I'll take it as that I worked for exposure.

I have more than enough reasons to quit. Firstly being that the distance, which is too far and coupled with the timing, I don't even have time for myself after work each day. I know it's just the 2nd day in the office, but I know I won't be able to take it on a long-term basis. Secondly, it's just not my type of job. Also, I'd like to be honest here. The pay is just too little. After deducting the Sundays and Saturdays' half days, I work for 198 hours each month. In other words, I am earning $2.50 per hour. Taking $4 each for lunch and dinner, $2 for breakfast and $0.45x4 for transportation, I would be left with $10.70 each day. But even if you give me a pay rise, not having time for myself is enough to keep me off. On top of that, I have to spend time with my family and mygirlfriend too. My parents support my decision as well. I apologise if I caused any inconvenience for tomorrow's meeting.

...Please do not bother calling to talk things out. My decision is already made."

funnily today I was telling my associate that I should be charging him for learning from us professionals.

wow I haven't felt this publicly bitchy in awhile.

Lolx.... Just let it be, just a kid. Time will make the kid grow up, just take it as your exposure to the new generation kids too. From the statement made, you can tell he is not ready for anything serious just yet. Keke

If you were a gahmen corporation and had the opportunity to put a black list on his name, you'll never be getting his type of nonsense. :)

You mean he has to actually turn up in the office and also do work???

No skill is not an impediment to high pay.

Also, he's supposed to just collect the money n spend all his time with his gf.

What were you thinking! ;-)

Wow. What a waste of time and space. 2 days only cannot. Nowsadays all these kids damn weak

Yeah pay is just too low. In the US, an intern is paid exactly like an entrant level staff. This ensures that the company will make the intern do productive work.

Yeah pay is just too low. In the US, an intern is paid exactly like an entrant level staff. This ensures that the company will make the intern do productive work.

Technically speaking, an intern is not quite the same as an entrant level staff for a company. Entry level staff are much more likely to be a permanent fixture compared to the intern, which is definitely not going to be a permanent arrangement. Any amount of training for entry level staff is likely to be retained within the company, whereas it will more or less be lost once the intern leaves (unless he/she applies for a job thereafter AND you want to accept them).

I've met my fair share of irresponsible kids but this one takes the cake

I hope this won't throw away the opportunity for future intern.
Maybe have to scrutinize him well especially during the interview to see if they are really serious and feel fortunate to be given the opportunity to learn. Probably, his "all other flowery nonsense" is a good indication.

Good luck to him when he serves NS! :)

edutilos- said:
Technically speaking, an intern is not quite the same as an entrant level staff for a company. Entry level staff are much more likely to be a permanent fixture compared to the intern, which is definitely not going to be a permanent arrangement. Any amount of training for entry level staff is likely to be retained within the company, whereas it will more or less be lost once the intern leaves (unless he/she applies for a job thereafter AND you want to accept them).

With that kind of pay, they can be really selective and attract only the brightest students. The best of the interns continues to take on their projects even after leaving, and many are offered jobs even before graduation. They take it as an extended job trial. If the intern do in the end join, the company is familiar with them and they with the company. They are more productive from the word go.

UncleFai said:
With that kind of pay, they can be really selective and attract only the brightest students. The best of the interns continues to take on their projects even after leaving, and many are offered jobs even before graduation. They take it as an extended job trial. If the intern do in the end join, the company is familiar with them and they with the company. They are more productive from the word go.

The going rate for an intern in Silicon Valley is US$5,000 or there about a month. Open to international students.

The message is: we have real work for you, we expect a helluvalot from you, but we won't shortchange you and we will treat and pay you like you are one of our own.

The going rate for an intern in Silicon Valley is US$5,000 or there about a month. Open to international students.

The message is: we have real work for you, we expect a helluvalot from you, but we won't shortchange you and we will treat and pay you like you are one of our own.

Hey, that's the same rationale for the high ministerial pay!!!

Funny, during lunch yesterday our intern from NTU mentioned that her friend interning at Barclays is paid SGD6000/mth.
Yes, 6k/mth for internship. No wonder all the kids want to join finance sector.

Bottomline: pay peanuts, get monkeys.

An internship isn't about the pay. An internship is the opportunity to learn from people who have things to teach. Like mattlock said, this kid should be paying them to be learning from one of the best in the field.

If you're really caught up on your "pay peanuts, get monkeys" idea, then one simple word for anybody who intends to find any sort of internship or employment opportunities here - MIGRATE.

An internship isn't about the pay. An internship is the opportunity to learn from people who have things to teach. Like mattlock said, this kid should be paying them to be learning from one of the best in the field.

If you're really caught up on your "pay peanuts, get monkeys" idea, then one simple word for anybody who intends to find any sort of internship or employment opportunities here - MIGRATE.

Don't worry... many are doing exactly that already... which is why we need foreign workers to "learn from the best" here - for the pay we are giving.