Kids in the Cambodian slums: donate old cameras

carocaro

Feb 17, 2009
CAMERAS WANTED FOR GOOD CAUSE - COMPACT OR SLR BUT MUST BE GOOD WORKING ORDER
Hi everyone
I am involved with an incredible charity here called Riverkids, which works to reduce child trafficking in Cambodia by providing kids in the slums with an education. Recognising that things are more complex than just hauling kids off to school, Riverkids also provides health, food and other assistance to families so they are prepared to send their kids to class and sacrifice the small income the children would otherwise bring in by collecting trash or doing other dangerous work. This support, and the work done by Riverkids social workers in the community, also helps prevent families from reaching a breaking point where they see no alternative but to sell their children.
I saw the amazing achievements of Riverkids when I went to Phnom Penh last March to take photos and spent a week with them in the slums. I've been involved ever since.
Not surprisingly, school can be a battle for these kids. Many deal with violence, exploitation, and sickness at home; many parents are sex workers or gambling/alcohol addicts; poverty is a way of life. They do not have the parental support many of us have enjoyed, partly because parents can't afford to give that support.
As a result, Riverkids has started a separate program for kids who have dropped out of education. While these kids (about 26 students aged 9 to 12 years old) have shunned many of the programs and extra-curricular activities offered, they were recently exposed to photography - and loved it! A group of volunteers took the kids out photo-shooting, and they were happily snapping away.
Riverkids is keen to encourage this interest - the pride of learning something new, the achievement of a skill, the commitment to a program and the opportunity to have fun are all important for these kids.
A professional photography volunteer is going to start a workshop program for them, but Riverkids only has 4 cameras which are not in very good working condition.
If you have an unwanted camera (SLR or compact), please consider donating it to Riverkids. You can contact Riverkids at elaine@riverkidsproject.org to drop off to their office (near Queensway shopping centre), or I am willing to come and collect from central/west locations.
cheers
Carolyn
ps You can read all about Riverkids at www.riverkidsproject.org. Fundraising and administration work is done out of Singapore, while the bulk of staff (teachers, housemothers, social workers etc) are based at sites in the heart of Phnom Penh's slums.

Sorry, I should have said - digital cameras only, please. "Lomo" cameras particularly welcome. Thanks again.
Carolyn

Still ongoing??

Besides donating cameras....are there other means to raise funds for the kids? Maybe raise some money to buy brand new cameras instead?

Hi,
sorry, haven't checked in for a few days. Yes, this is still ongoing, Davee78 - thanks for your interest.
The reason for digital only is that it avoids the cost of film and the kids can instantly see what they have achieved.
Hi Sleeksports, Riverkids runs a variety of fundraising activities but most of the fundraising budget is already allocated to other programs, especially education, social work staff, emergency food supplies and health assistance. Digital cameras are less of a "necessity" though their benefits are clear for the reasons I outlined. If you wanted to organise a fundraising drive specifically for the photography project Riverkids would love to hear from you!
Thanks again for everyone's replies.

Not so sure about that.

Sure, i can see that it is a for a good cause, but how will the kids in the slums charge their camera batteries considering that most of them don't even have stable electricity supplies? o_O

At least with film cameras, an old, 100% mechanical camera that uses no batteries will be more practical for them. Plus i'd think it'll teach them the value of each shot they take.

But this is purely my own humble opinion.

Last edited:
Hi Etna-sama
the Riverkids office in Phnom Penh has electricity. The kids won't be taking the cameras home with them.
cheers
Carolyn

k, i got one, are they open tomoro?? it's CNY eve

Happy Rabbit New Year to all reading this.....

When I saw this thread.....I think it's a great idea helping the kids. I am organising a Flea Market in my neighbourhood in 2 weeks time at Teban Gardens in front of a shooping mall from 4pm to 8pm. All kinds of new/secondhand items can be sold except food stuff. I am more than willing to sponsor the table (only $5) and more. Sadly I can't run the stall because I would be quite busy that day :(

If CS members could donate items of sorts to the booth....or even their cameras to you personally....that would be great. The owner could even tell the pros and cons about the history of the digital camera and this could be catalogued and shipped to country of destination.

H/P: 9123-6999 (Trevor)

Not sure if this idea will go down well with kind-hearted CS members? Feedback back please :bigeyes::bigeyes:

It will be difficult to donate not knowing if this is legitimate. Who is caro-caro? Riverkids?

Hi Davee78,
thanks for your generosity. Riverkids not open over CNY but should be back this coming week. Text Elaine on 98180465 to check timing. Or depending your location I may be able to collect.
Hi Kingpin,
I understand your concern, but hopefully checking out www.riverkidsproject.org gives you sufficient comfort - if you donate direct to their office then you should have no concerns it will reach the kids. I am a volunteer with Riverkids.
Thanks
carolyn

Just to back a little on the organisation. I have been on-site in Phnom Penh to check out Riverkids and the things they do in Oct 2010.. and back in Jan this year, I went back again to Phnom Penh again. The things Riverkids do and the impact on the community the operate in is something very very meaningful.

I will be working with Riverkids to do an exhibition soon and when that happens, you might wanna pop by to check them out. I will also be on-site to share my experiences.

Cheers,
Bernard

Hi tan 131 and carocaro,

I have made contact with Elaine of Riverkids and it is confirmed that 2 tables will be sponsored by my RC to support this cause at our monthly Flea Market at :

Venue : Blk 61, Teban Gardens
Date : 5th Mar 2011
Time : 4pm-8pm

Organiser: Trevor (9123-6999)

Elaine will have some volunteers selling 2nd hand stuff at the venue.

I have also invited her to have a display booth to create an awareness for this cause.

Fellow Clubsnappers, this would be a rare chance to meet-up as a hobbyist group and show your charitable side to the kids, who, in turn, might pick up the hobby one day.

As for tan131, bro, I know the time is rather short, but you are also invited to have an exhibition at our Flea market if the materials for showcase are ready. If not there will always be another grassroot event. (Your booth will also be sponsored).

Carocaro.....since you are the Thread Starter...if you have any further queries, pls sms me.

For other CS members, you could always brainstorm other fantastic fundraising ideas and share with Carocaro to help this cause....or plainly, just volunteer yourself and your time.

Thks
buddies.