Kiddie Birthday Party Photoshoot

Deloi

Feb 28, 2010
Central
Hi Guys,

I would just like to ask for your help/tips regarding my upcoming photo shoot 2 weeks from now covering a children’s birthday party. It’s my brother’s twin baby girls’ 1st birthday and also my first ever event to cover so I’m kinda nervous.

My gears are as follows: Canon 550D; 18-135mm kit lens; 50mm f1.8; Nissin Di622 mark II and a tripod. The venue is a function room about the ¾ the size of a basketball court with cream (off white) walls and ceilings.

I have made some research and noted the following (please comment on these):
1. Visit the venue beforehand. Check the lightings
2. Know the party plan
3. Adjust white balance. A blogger suggested to use “flash” or AWB
4. Bounce the flash. I find this difficult since the ceiling and walls are not white. Please help me on this.
5. Shoot in Manual Mode and in burst mode
6. Get the child’s perspective/ angles for composition
7. Look for party details and shoot candid pictures

Can you please add other items that I missed to take note and can you please share some of your experiences. Can you please also help me (or send some links) with flash photography since I have just purchased my nissin flash about a month ago.

I hope you could find time to reply and help me regarding this topic.

Thanks!!!

- learn to use your equipment, balance flash + ambient light
- how to capture running kids with shutterspeed + flash + etc etc
- no need to use burst mode, you can't burst very well either if your flash can't recycle fast enough
- higher the flash power the longer recycle time is, if need to sacrifice a bit of noise to use less power.
- ration your batteries, can't imagining needing more than 1 set of AA for a kids party unless the ambient lighting is atrocious.
- don't be nervous
- get into the mood of the party and find inspiration there.
- calmly survey the scene, try to anticipate reactions, keep your head on a swivel and ears open
- you don't have to be a maniac and take photos every second. (or you could if you love your brother a lot)
- sure photograph at kid eye level but don't take too many head shots of the kids
- just mostly general overview shots of them engaging, having fun etc
- try to catch kids with and without parents and get them to pose for you. Their parents will loooove it more than any other photograph you take of their kid.
- work the floor over the course of the party and try to make sure you didn't leave anyone out, not even the adults.
- make a pattern, general shots, posed shots, closeup shots, repeat etc.
- get your framing right, then won't go nuts having to correct in post process.

And if you can't bounce off the ceiling, use a diffuser or a bounce card.

very awesome tips sir foxtwo! i will surely consider your suggestions and i'll try to research and practice on your 1st and 2nd tips. I specially like your tip regarding working the floor over the course of the party and trying to make sure that everyone was considered and making a pattern( general shots, posed shots, closeup shots, repeat etc.)

Sir Rashkae, i think i cant bounce the flash since the walls and ceilings are not white. The nissin di662 has a built in mini bounce card but after reading your reply, i searched the net and considered making a DIY bounce card. i found this site very helpful http://www.themoment2cherish.com/DIY-Bounce-Card/

Thanks for the tips guys!

very useful link! thanks! i'll just practice using the flash before the event. i'm still not sure as to how to deal with the off white (cream) walls and ceiling though.

very useful link! thanks! i'll just practice using the flash before the event. i'm still not sure as to how to deal with the off white (cream) walls and ceiling though.

cream is ok. we're not talking primary colours here, like red blue etc. if it really bothers you, do a custom wb. It's in your manual.