Khaw B W said "you do not know what their boyfriends will be like"

Status
Not open for further replies.

reachme2003

Oct 6, 2003
Sunday Times reported health minister's comments about HIV testing as part of marriage preparation. He said 'But if you ask me as a parent, I think there is no harm. I have three daughters and you do not know what their boyfriends will be like." your response to his comments. keep politics out pls.

hmmm... most girls and boys do it way before considering marriage... so it might be too late to do it as marriage preparations.

Maybe he's making indirect attacks at his daughter's boyfriends, suggesting that they have HIV... Health minister! "I think there is no harm." Would HIV stop a couple from getting married?

if a gal has been doing it with a guy for awhile... then she decides to marry him out of 'love' or 'practicality' or whatever. If she does the HIV test and finds out that her boyfriend has HIV, think her biggest concern would not be about marrying the wrong guy. Think she would be most worried that she also already contracted HIV.

Like that, it would be even better that they got married so they dont endanger anyone else, or they could get a free lover's holiday package to an unknown island called Pulau Mati or something.

But this method is good also lah.. It helps the government make testing compulsory for almost everyone at the sexual peak of a person's lifetime.

However it might lead to lesser marriages as now it is seen as even more pressurizing.

reachme2003 said:
Sunday Times reported health minister's comments about HIV testing as part of marriage preparation. He said 'But if you ask me as a parent, I think there is no harm. I have three daughters and you do not know what their boyfriends will be like." your response to his comments. keep politics out pls.

if I am the parent of the boy, I'd insist that his daughters also take an HIV test for the same reason :bsmilie:

i perceived him(HM) as politically correct and sensitive person from the speeches and casual remarks made by him in the past. being an ex perm sec and elevated to minister is not common. but, this time, he has let his guard down. his remark was callous.

China's already been doing that, no?

Nothing wrong with taking the tests tho, but who's going to pay for it, or who's going to benefit from the fees paid ;p

i was referring to our (local) govt.

has this got anything to do with kids being born to hiv infected mums having health problems? there was a report about this very shortly before the screening thing came up right?

Not questioning anyone, but why can't the guys be the one who wants to do the test?

if you finally really want to settle down with The One but have an active sexual history why not be the one to test yourself? just a question in passing.

I think HIV screening is more of a measure to prevent AIDS to be passed to a child from infected parents. It is not really to stop someone from marrying like a person with HIV or wad, of cos unless the person wants to end the relationship.

I think everyone should do it be4 married.

TITANIUMMADCAT said:
I think everyone should do it be4 married.

do the 'sex' thing or the HIV test?

btw i think its a social responsibility of each individual to do their own checkups & prevent further spread of the disease. its like prevention is better than cure. when you are getting married then you do the test, it might already be too late, esp when you put in emotions into the relationship.

if have a partner, den try not to go fooling around. if you have HIV, dun try to make everybody your partner for life.. :sweat:

Status
Not open for further replies.