kenrockwell; fixed lenses == better pictures?

Actually... Thinking more about a shot before it taking it == better pictures.

that's exactly what ken rockwell said in his article. shooting with fixed lens forces you to think more. :)

daredevil123 said:
Actually... Thinking more about a shot before it taking it == better pictures.

Thinking = lost..
No?
Unless shooting still..
Kids, sports got chance to think ma..

sense rain said:
Thinking = lost..
No?
Unless shooting still..

Different people has diff view and style and he is not always right. Take it as its his view.

that's exactly what ken rockwell said in his article. shooting with fixed lens forces you to think more. :)

but not having prime lenses, one can also exercise self discipline and think more. There are also examples of people using prime lenses and still do not think.

I wonder why he says that about prime lenses, and not about film. And of course, I like how he says we should all throw away our tripods... not.

well *shrugs*

Thinking = lost..
No?
Unless shooting still..

You mean you are telling me that when shooting kids and sports, those photographers do not think at all? hmmmm.....

daredevil123 said:
You mean you are telling me that when shooting kids and sports, those photographers do not think at all? hmmmm.....

If its a spilt second moment.. Got time to think??

Sports got time to think?

Kids can be predicted?

Hmmm..

Kids can be predicted?

Hmmm..
do you really think sport photographers doing a shoot without planning before hand?

do you think portrait photographers shooting kids without scouting the background, confirm exposure, white balance, framing, focusing before click?

Please read “The Moment it Click's” by Joe McNally to understand more, it can be found in National Library

the problem of most newbies photographers is don't think before the shoot, during the shoot, and only think how to salvage the shots with photoshop after seeing it on computer.

catchlights said:
do you really think sport photographers doing a shoot without planning before hand?

do you think portrait photographers shooting kids without scouting the background, confirm exposure, white balance, framing, focusing before click?

Please read “The Moment it Click's” by Joe McNally to understand more, it can be found in National Library

the problem of most newbies photographers is don't think before the shoot, during the shoot, and only think how to salvage the shots with photoshop after seeing it on computer.

I think u all like to think alot..
Read? I not free!
Thanks for the suggestion anyway..

What I think u r saying have not complete..
The moment need to be capture already lost..

That is why technology input all these professional photographer experience into their "auto mode".. So that people like me don't need think so much.. Just shoot, crop and print or post.. That is what technology is about right..

I read I think.. I only read one book and one brain.. But the camera auto mode evaluate thousands of data at that spilt second..

So now I think I can confirm not only the photographer is important.. The best camera and best lens we can afford is also important.. Don't need to think any more..

Don't you think so.. But anyway.. You can think your way.. And I think mine.. It's about sharing our thoughts.. Not disputing about right or wrong.. Cos no one size fits all.. Right?

IMO,

zoom lens makes u lazy (for majority not all) while primes trains you to work harder.

better pictures or not? hard to say.

but why I say zoom lens makes u lazy, cos u can zoom in and out to reach out to your subject (but your standing position remains the same) and you are satisfied (most of the time) but primes are different, you had to walk in closer or walk off further and once you stand where you are, you will look for better angles to see which angle is better.

Kids can be predicted?

Hmmm..
Oh no, people who get good photographs of kids and sports are just people who anyhow click away and go "Wowee" when they hit a winner. :bsmilie:

Same for Henri-Cartier Bresson, he just wear Leica on his neck and anyhow press randomly and pray that he has good shots when he's home, since similarly, got no time to think for people on the street, and can't predict what they do either. :bsmilie:

Read? I not free!

That is why technology input all these professional photographer experience into their "auto mode".. So that people like me don't need think so much.. Just shoot, crop and print or post.. That is what technology is about right..

I read I think.. I only read one book and one brain.. But the camera auto mode evaluate thousands of data at that spilt second..

So now I think I can confirm not only the photographer is important.. The best camera and best lens we can afford is also important.. Don't need to think any more..

Don't you think so.. But anyway.. You can think your way.. And I think mine.. It's about sharing our thoughts.. Not disputing about right or wrong.. Cos no one size fits all.. Right?
People who think before they shoot, and train themselves to think fast where it's needed (for sports, kids, street).. Will get better shots.

Of course an amateur or someone who doesn't think will get a good shot some day, if they keep hard at it. But good photographers don't just rely on luck, they either create their luck (through experience, they know how to position themselves where they are more LIKELY to get a good shot), or they make the most of luck when it comes by.

Certainly you can't deny that!

Auto mode does help for those of us who do not have time to read or learn about photography, not sure if it helps when taking photos of small children or shooting a soccer match though - that small pop-up flash either momentarily blinds the kid or lights up the unwanted grassy foreground.

Too bad my camera:
has no Auto mode
cannot zoom
is already the best I can afford

So I have no choice but to read more photography books, zoom by taking more footsteps, and learn from making both good and bad pictures. :p

...technology input all these professional photographer experience into their "auto mode"..

sense rain said:
Read? I not free!

Woot!!!!!

aiya! depend on taking what subject lah. Some like landscape can always think and plan thu, go back again and again at different time, different season to take and get different effect.

The other like the Nature photographers shooting birds and animal, need some instinct and some luck. Cannot think too much or the bird will swallow the bugs already and you wait long long before the bird come back lor.

The other like the Nature photographers shooting birds and animal, need some instinct and some luck. Cannot think too much or the bird will swallow the bugs already and you wait long long before the bird come back lor.

More knowledge than anything else... Knowledge empowers the photographer for many cases - if you don't know the sport, if you don't know the subject, it is hard to anticipate anything at all. This applies to even landscapes.. :)

A simple question of do we have to think before snap to get good pictures end up everyone have their own interpretation of what was originally intended...

Me very simple, this subject allow me to take my time to think, recompose, because it stay there "for me" for 10 mins. So I think lor!

6794395501_3c34bd08b2_b.jpg

This one, I got no time to think, only "try to it see in the viewfinder" and press the button.

6794395605_fc2af84ace_b.jpg

This two pictures of mine are just to let you know when I think and when I don't, I know they are very lousy quality so don't complaint hor!

Last edited:
A simple question of do we have to think before snap to get good pictures end up everyone have their own interpretation of what was originally intended...

Me very simple, this subject allow me to take my time to think, recompose, because it stay there "for me" for 10 mins. So I think lor!

This one, I got no time to think, only "try to it see in the viewfinder" and press the button.

This two pictures of mine are just to let you know when I think and when I don't, I know they are very lousy quality so don't complaint hor!
so you are suggesting that anyone can get a camera set up like yours, just aim at the birds and snap, don't have think too much, can get shots something like that?

wow, that is very encouraging, I'm not into bird photography, so good to know I can just snap here and there to get shots like that.

lol.