KenRockwell Canon EOS 20D Test Review

Status
Not open for further replies.
wow! :bigeyes: kenrock sure can kick up a big fuss over nothing! :bsmilie:

if he lives his life on flash sync speed, why isn't he using RF or MF cameras? mostly, not all, can sync at any speed rated on the camera. to him the extra MP is no big deal but he finds a 1.6 & 1.5 crop factor, difference by just 0.1, a very big deal. 11mm & 12mm difference, very big deal? he favours 12mm but 11mm is crap. i would just tell him to get a life.

:bsmilie: :bsmilie: Reading Ken Rockwell can be interesting and amusing at the same time - but what's really amusing is the way people react to what he writes...

nightpiper said:
i would just tell him to get a life.

I think that would apply more to people who get so riled up about what he writes... he even says "Why should you care what I think?"

That was a rubbish review Ken has written. Hmm, maybe rubbish is a strong word but clearly, it's a Nikon user who is trashing a Canon camera. Anyone of us can write such a review: I'm not atttracted to Nikon cams bcos.... I'm not attracted to Canon camss bcos... Duh! There are always work around situations to the problems he mentioned. You want high flash sync speed? Use an Canon Speedlite. 1/4000s - 1/8000s. Kick Ken's butt!

I'd prefer to read a more objective review that lists the pros and cons of the cam. Not just Canon... any other brands for that matter.

Yeah, like he had stated in his website: why should we care about what he said? Mostly craps. Ken, what do you care how I feel? :bsmilie:

"Don't read if you take this stuff seriously, consider your camera a physical extension of your body or lack a sense of humor" - Ken Rockwell

acroamatic said:
"Don't read if you take this stuff seriously, consider your camera a physical extension of your body or lack a sense of humor" - Ken Rockwell
:thumbsup:

as much as he is a nikon guy, he loves the canon a70. he is not completely biased as some people think.

acroamatic said:

U know, I really think that both nightpiper and kiwi2 do have a sense of humor because their comments implicitly carry the meaning that Ken Rockwell is a big joker. Now that's amusing. :bsmilie:

Yah, I guess they had to say what they did implicitly because some might not understand that Ken Rockwell is explicity kidding... :)

acroamatic said:
Yah, I guess they had to say what they did implicitly because some might not understand that Ken Rockwell is explicity kidding... :)

Indeed, I'll have to agree with you that some might not understand because Ken Rockwell's attempt to bring across some satirical humour wasn't done very nicely, imho. :)

At the end of the day though, Ken Rockwell might very well be the one who gets the last laugh because his controversial write-up, be it in favour of C or N, will get him an overwhelmingly number of hits on his website. Notice the google adsense program on the right? ;)

This Ken Rockwell is like the leader of all the Nikon chest thumping alphamales.

bernards said:
This Ken Rockwell is like the leader of all the Nikon chest thumping alphamales.

hahahaha...!! :bsmilie: sway a D2x in front of him, he'll be in heat. :bsmilie:

Ken Rockwell is a big Nikon cheerleader. He cannot do any more to damage his credibility than his previous over-the-top rantings have already done, so what does he have to lose? Just ruffle the feathers of people who make the mistake of taking him too seriously ;)

It seems as if the only thing that seperates a "pro" from an "amateur" camera in Rockwell's eyes is the flash sync speed. 1/500 pro. 1/250 amateur. So I might point out that he forgot to list the Nikon F5 on his list of "amateur" cameras because of the 1/250 flash sync speed.

D2H has the same "non-professional" 1/250 flash sync. But he's gaining by having people clicking his url which pops up not one but two advertisements.

mpenza said:
But he's gaining by having people clicking his url which pops up not one but two advertisements.

Yes... you're observant - to be precise, he has four sources of passive income just on the 20D review page alone.

rockwell.gif

1. There are the 2 ads which u mentioned,
2. the "donation link" (don't underestimate this, those brand loyalists might love him enough to donate a substantial amount);
3. the adorama "buy it" link (small possibility on this page only though, for obvious reasons).

And all he had to do was to create some "humour" on the 20D to bring in Canon fans as well this time instead of his usual nikonian traffic. Smart move.

putting on my sherlock holmes' cap, i suspect that he's trying to 'carry favour' nikon so as to achieve happiness, prosperity & gears for his 'nation'. :bsmilie:

actually, mr watson told me he is doing this to catch nikon's attention. reason is for nikon to shortlist him as one of the prestigious & privileged few that will write a preview to the upcoming, hi-tech nikon DSLRs. 1st hand experience.

end of investigation............... :sweat:

Amfibius said:
Ken Rockwell is a big Nikon cheerleader. He cannot do any more to damage his credibility than his previous over-the-top rantings have already done, so what does he have to lose? Just ruffle the feathers of people who make the mistake of taking him too seriously ;)

It seems as if the only thing that seperates a "pro" from an "amateur" camera in Rockwell's eyes is the flash sync speed. 1/500 pro. 1/250 amateur. So I might point out that he forgot to list the Nikon F5 on his list of "amateur" cameras because of the 1/250 flash sync speed.

Actually, if u have been looking through his articles and reviews, he has been pushing a D70 over the D2h for the same thing (Canon A series over dslrs as well), so he's pretty consistent. His reasoning is listed out in his articles (I agree with some of them actually), and since he's a pro and he finds that feature essential based on his experiences, he's right in a perverse sort of way (He has a big ego though). I think the whole thing to realize is that he states those are his personal opinions and he's free to say whatever he likes on his site. I happen to like his style of writing though and there are gems contained in some of the madness..... :bsmilie:

I enjoy his writing (wonderfull thing, satire), as well as some of the photos he has taken. I would take his technical photography stuff with a huge grain of salt though. It's a free internet afterall, and it's his website. So he's making money by posting controversial comments? Smart of him, well done!

While measurabators and fanatics are foaming at the mouth and sending him hatemail, he's most probably off taking nice pictures and laughing all the way to the bank.

Alas, people always get hung up over whether this faceless internet entity likes the camera you use, or whether a certain brand 'beats' another brand at a certain sporting event, or whether one brand has lots of cool marketing, etc, or that the next camera model released would be the greatest thing since sliced bread. It's just psychology... :D

Well, for me i'd really want to know the so-called negatives of the camera and see if it affects me.

Status
Not open for further replies.