Kenko Teleplus 2x teleconverter MC4 vs MC7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

wonder if any of you used any of the above...Kenko Teleplus 2x teleconverter MC4 or MC7. MC4 is with 4 elements and MC7 is with 7 elements.

My concern is which is better? Read on the web that MC4 performance the same as MC7, MC4 is a cost down version. Your views?

Madcat II

I've used the mc7 before, and was quite disappointed with the performance. Read somewhere that mc4 is lots worse (it has less elements!), so I suggest you don't get it.

If you can afford, go for the kenko pro 300 series. If not, then just try to bear with the lower standard of mc7. It should sell for about $100 second hand.

MC7 has more elements than MC4. Both does not support AF properly unless you use f2.8 or wider aperture. In terms of picture quality, they are quite the same. But the pictures turn out to be rather low in contrast and sharpness. The Pro 300 series is a bit better, improved contrast and sharpness.

Originally posted by chyeo
Both does not support AF properly unless you use f2.8 or wider aperture.

oh really? must try later.

I used the MC7 with the 80-200/2.8. AF is slow but working. And yes, picture sharpness and contrast are disappointing. Photoshop magic required.

Originally posted by chyeo
MC7 has more elements than MC4. Both does not support AF properly unless you use f2.8 or wider aperture. In terms of picture quality, they are quite the same. But the pictures turn out to be rather low in contrast and sharpness. The Pro 300 series is a bit better, improved contrast and sharpness.

Hi there....

Mc7 is the 7 element and MC4 is the 4 element one. As there is less element, its lighter.

Used both and as per AF...it will work on even my f5.6 lens....
BUTT.....what do you expect...at f11.......it can work if on tripod.....

Forget about hand holding if your lens is not fast(f2.8-f4).
Results wise....at long range zoom of course you will loose quality and if not properly taken (tripod) you image will turn out bad.

MC4 is the lower cost one. If you are not critical about sharpness or super dooper detail....go ahead and use these teleconverters...its okay....so so results.

You better off saving up to invest on the APO ones.

I dismantles the lens on my mc7 to make into a extension tube....IT WORKS!!!

regards,
Sulhan

Originally posted by Madcat II
Hey Guys, thanks for the feedback.

BTW, anyone have the prices for Pro series or the APO ones?

Regards.

Pro series around $250 to $300? Not very sure though.

Originally posted by sulhan
I dismantles the lens on my mc7 to make into a extension tube....IT WORKS!!!

regards,
Sulhan [/B]

Hey, doing that right now. Managed to get 3 of the elements out but still left one. Did u managed to to pull the entire central column out?

oh wow... camera cannibals!

I've the MC4 teleconvertor... but never used it before for phototaking, cos the AF would keeps hunting when used with any lens > f4.. well at least it does in my case...

Anyway, as mentioned, I used the 50 f1.8 with it, AF is working, but the camera will not regconised the "different" aperture size with the MC4 on, showing f1.8 ...

Interested to get one?? :) might sell my off cos i never got the chance to use it. Keep in dry box all the while.. :p

Pm me if interested... Thank you.

oei! not on the MC7 that i lend you!!! :D
Originally posted by xdivider
Hey, doing that right now. Managed to get 3 of the elements out but still left one. Did u managed to to pull the entire central column out?

Originally posted by cyanbloodbane
oei! not on the MC7 that i lend you!!! :D

U juz gave me a idea, 75mm of extension with the 24-85 :devil:

Hey Guys,

I check out the Kenko MC7 and Sigma's APO and here's my discovery:-

MC7 is ok when you are using any Canon EOS mount lens, however for the APO, they are meant for Sigma lens and I was told Canon L lens also can...

But if you have a Canon II or III lens, they won't fit, because the APO 2x teleconverter has a 1mm (estimated) protrusion which will not let Canon II or III lens connect.

Well since I have no $$ for L lens, I therefore can't use the APO. I also didn't buy the MC7 as I wanted to look at the Pro series before deciding.

Any of you guys know if Kenko's Pro series 2x teleconverter can be used on a Canon II or III lens?

Regards.

I have the Kenko Pro 300 2X, and my advice is to think about what you will use it for before you buy. No matter what, you will lose picture quality (contrast and sharpness), even with the "higher end" Pro model.

Mine gets used very occasionally ... on 500mm f/6.3, on a DSLR, it gives me access to a 1500mm f/12.6 that surprisingly still autofocuses, though it hunts a bit and is very slow getting there. The trick is to have a high-contrast target (not easy through hazy conditions if you go all the way to 1500mm :) )

Hi Eric,

thanks for the advise, what do you think the performance will be on a Canon 75-300mm III f4-5.6 lens??

I have a 10D and thus I can adjust the sharpness level within the camera, do you think this can solve the sharpness issue?

Regards.

Status
Not open for further replies.